Print Thread
Hop To
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thinking about buying a Dewalt pole saw (already have the batteries). Anyone have any experience with them - good or bad?

Last edited by logger; 02/16/24.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought one last year, so far I’m very pleased with it. Most of the pruning I do is smaller stuff on the apple trees. I did tackle some larger limbs on ash trees with branches overhanging the driveway, 4”-5”, and it powered right through them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I borrowed my brother's saw years ago and it worked very well. A little hard to handle when using it with the extensions (I have a bad shoulder) but otherwise was fine. I have a manual pole saw for the few trees we have around the house. Good luck

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have one that we use around the farm. Much better than the old Poulan gas engine that I was using.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
👍🏻

Mines a couple of years old, love it. If I had to bitch about something, it would be the safety trigger thingy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Dewalt is quality stuff, buy with confidence.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Harbor Freight Lynxx that I liked pretty well. Didn't think I had a use for it anymore and my dad wanted it, so I sold it to him.

A year later I found out I needed one for just a few limbs, but my old saw was now 185 miles away. Shopped around a little, found out Harbor Freight discontinued the Lynxx. The reviews were about even across the board between other brands, but I already had Dewalt batteries, so I got one.

Gotta' say I'm disappointed. Not because the quality is lacking, but because of two things. The the Lynxx pole was adjustable to any length you wanted (within reason), the Dewalt is fixed in either the shorter version, or by adding the extension, the long version. BUT the biggest issue is.. BALANCE. The Lynxx had the weight of the powerhead at the tail balancing things well, the Dewalt has the powerhead at the far end making it a real bear to maneuver, especially with the extension on.

Edited to add: BTW, neither saw out of the box wants to "bite" into a limb, just throwing fine chips, even though sharp, and it gets tiring hoisting and holding a saw on a stick up there repeatedly.. judicious removal of a lot of depth raker fixes that. But then the original poster was a logger, so he knows all about that.

Last edited by bhemry; 02/17/24.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have one too. It's great.

I highly recommend you purchase. A hard hat too.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
I do a lot of fuel reduction work were we are required to remove ladder fuels from standing trees. Bought one a few years ago for less than 200 bucks. Worked really well, but I have since moved on to a Husky 525 gas pole saw. For intermittent use I think you will be pleased.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
logger;
Top of the morning to you sir, if you're getting the little cold snap we are, I hope the fire's lit and burning bright and you're all well.

A few years back I got tired of doing the fire suppression pruning around our rural place with a chainsaw and picked up a 15' DeWalt because I had batteries for a drill and impact already.

It's able to cut through Ponderosa branches as big as the bar without any issues and I'll admit to being surprised about that.

Other than it leaks some of the bar oil out now when it's being stored, but doesn't seem to use too much bar oil when I'm running it, we've been very happy with it.

Hope that helps, good luck whichever way you decide and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks everyone. I can buy one on sale and with a gift card discount for about $145 (without battery). I already have their 16" electric saw which is used primarily as a marker saw and other than the oil leakage (store it on it's side stops the leakage) and it has worked well. The pole saw would be used for intermittent use limbing up on the driveway and around the house for fuels reduction. Thanks for the help.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Perfect for small stuff and short jobs basically. Bounces a lot trimming twigs around blinds.
Cuts limbs from oaks as large as the bar is long.

Like most we had batteries so was a no brainer like most De Walt stuff.

That said would Never be without the echo gas pole saw for serious work

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have one and a companion Dewalt battery chainsaw. Extremely handy for quick jobs, deer stand work, etc. One thing I have found is that they leak bar oil. Also have a Stiehl gas pole saw, but it doesn't get used much now! Unlike the Stiehl which is telescoping, you have to assemble the Dewalt, but not a big deal. I would buy again.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by logger
Thanks everyone. I can buy one on sale and with a gift card discount for about $145 (without battery). I already have their 16" electric saw which is used primarily as a marker saw and other than the oil leakage (store it on it's side stops the leakage) and it has worked well. The pole saw would be used for intermittent use limbing up on the driveway and around the house for fuels reduction. Thanks for the help.
What's a marker saw?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.