Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mickey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Aside from LSU and OSU rooters, how many of you think that Monday's Game is actually between the two best teams in the country and will crown the National Champion?

How many of you think it is is just another Bowl Game between two good teams and that their is not any clear team in the Country that is the BEST of the BEST?

I am asking for personal opinion, not what the Sports writers say.

Mickey

"Instead of getting married again I am just going to find a women I don't like and give her a house"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tis pretty evident it seems that there are a few teams that can beat either OSU or LSU and their records/strength of schedule would compare favorably.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There really wasn't a dominant team in college ball this year. Several very good teams but on any given day.....

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
In my eyes it is just another bowl game that I probably won't even watch. I think there are a half dozen teams that could beat either LSU or OSU. How LSU jumped past everybody especially VT after a very close win is beyond me. I am sure we will hear from the LSU boys today. Probably go something like this. We havent lost in regulation. (WHO CARES) Our two losses were to top ten teams. (Kentucky was ranked high when they lost to them, but how about the end of the season? Thats right not even in the top 25. Arkansas Almost a top 25 team.) Not to mention the other handfull of games they should have lost this year. Ohio State didn't do anything impressive this year. Oh by the way the team that did beat ohio state this year just got slaughtered by USC a couple of day ago. I say we just call it of this year. Dont crown a national champ. I know in my mind nobody is above all the rest, all the more reason we need a playoff system.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Is Monday's Game really for the Nationl Championship?"

I'm sure somebody thinks so. But when teams get appointed to be there instead of playing their way there, as in a playoff system, it's rarely going to be right.

Good point by skud. Both LSU loses came from teams not even ranked at the end of the year. Pretty darn impressive...

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, I don't believe it is.

But i don't think a March Madness type football playoff would crown one either. That would produce a tournament champion, true. But the purpose of a tournament is not to produce the best team at the end of the line. It is to make more money for the people who benefit from having a tournament. If we truly wanted to find out who was the best team we would probably be better off to scrap both the BCS AND any idea of a playoff. Which, btw, would be littered with also rans, one game wonders, and season ending injuries which would hamper getting the best team out of the pipeline at the end of play.

We just do not have the inter-conference play needed to seed teams accurately. So how would we get a champion?

Go back to the old bowl alignments. Play them all by midnight on New Year's day. That should leave you with 3 candidates, the Rose bowl, the Sugar Bowl, and the Orange bowl winners. Pick the best two the next morning and play a week later.

You would maintain the relevance of the bowl games AND be able to make a much better stab at who are the best two teams.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes it is the National Championship and the winner WILL be the National Champion. Maybe the best two teams are there and maybe not.....but it makes no difference. The BCS colleges agreed to the present system and now need to quit griping and live with it until they have balls enough to come up with a better way (playoffs).

The whole idea of a "split national championship" or arguments about "we're the real national champion (even though we didn't qualify for the championship game)" is silly. YOU (the member colleges) agreed to this system.....now shut up and figure out how to get to the top (play a tough schedule....and win).

No system is perfect and even a playoff tournament might be won by a surprise upset.......but they are still the champion if they win the championship game. When North Carolina St. upset Houston's "Phi Slamma Jamma" in the 1983 NCAA basketball championship......everyone agreed that Houston was the better team, but look it up......the "Champion" of 1983 is still NC St.

Same with the BCS Championship.....the winner is champion and no "split championship" is possible unless the game ends in a tie.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skudrunner
In my eyes it is just another bowl game that I probably won't even watch. I think there are a half dozen teams that could beat either LSU or OSU. How LSU jumped past everybody especially VT after a very close win is beyond me. I am sure we will hear from the LSU boys today. Probably go something like this. We havent lost in regulation. (WHO CARES) Our two losses were to top ten teams. (Kentucky was ranked high when they lost to them, but how about the end of the season? Thats right not even in the top 25. Arkansas Almost a top 25 team.) Not to mention the other handfull of games they should have lost this year. Ohio State didn't do anything impressive this year. Oh by the way the team that did beat ohio state this year just got slaughtered by USC a couple of day ago. I say we just call it of this year. Dont crown a national champ. I know in my mind nobody is above all the rest, all the more reason we need a playoff system.

why did they jump over Va. Tech? Well, d'uh, because they'd already beaten Va Tech 48-7 in the first game of the season. We pretty much know which of those two teams is better. Both LSU losses were on the road to bowl-bound teams, decided by one play in triple overtime. USC was humiliated by a 41 point underdog at home.

Says right here on my ticket: BCS National Championship....it is what it is. The winner is the BCS national champ. Others are of course free to award the Joe Blow national championship to whomever they choose.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by muleshoe
"Is Monday's Game really for the Nationl Championship?"

I'm sure somebody thinks so. But when teams get appointed to be there instead of playing their way there, as in a playoff system, it's rarely going to be right.

Good point by skud. Both LSU loses came from teams not even ranked at the end of the year. Pretty darn impressive...

Both LSU losses were to team that were ranked at the time. Where was Stanford ranked when they beat USC at home. What was Illinois ranked when it beat OSU at home? Both LSU losses were to bowl teams, which went 1-1. Better than the Big Ten has done.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If WVU was going to play OHIO Stae on Jan 7th, I would have been going to the National Championship game. Said so right on my tickets, as well.

As the system works now, there can not be any dispute that the winner of tonight's football game is the National Collegiate NCAA Fotball Champion and number 1 in the country.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by skudrunner

Maybe LSU leaped past VT, maube because LSU beat VT 48 to 7 and VT could handle the Big 12 number 3 team in the Orange Bowl. We'll soon see how good a fairly healthy LSU team is. I say fairly because Charle Alexander is not going to play (knee injury)

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No!!!
Kansas' season is over with 1 tough loss to a very good team (Mizzou)who creamed Arkansas (LSU)!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tscott
No!!!
Kansas' season is over with 1 tough loss to a very good team (Mizzou)who creamed Arkansas (LSU)!!!

Mizzo, got beat by Oklahoma, who got beat bt WV who got beat by Pittsburg..

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
who got beat bt WV who got beat by Pittsburg..
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That was cruel and uncalled for!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I see isaac picked tOSU to win on a different thread. Gave me the chills, something like if Lee Corso had chosen tOSU. grin grin

Now, for all youse guys who don't like who is in fact playing for the National Championship - well, pick your own!!! Really. You can write in any name you please and spin it any way you want. But, write this down - the National Championship WILL be decided this evening on the field.

GO BUCKEYES -- !!!!!! grin wink laugh cool

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I see isaac picked tOSU to win on a different thread. Gave me the chills, something like if Lee Corso had chosen tOSU.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You'll pay for that one Darby!!

William Arthur Ward

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hey, I never would have said anything like that if you had sent me your NC game tickets --- smirk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's just another mythical national championship like always in college football. Until there is a playoff, you'll never know who the best team really is.

Personally, I am hoping for a dud of a game and would get a real kick out of another split national championship simply because I hate the freakin B(c)S.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
true they will bestow the title upon someone tonight,

but I rank it up there with Miss Congeniality, no dominant team in CF this year, just a bunch of good ones and on any given day.

made it a fun season to watch

I just hope it's a good game

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,258
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.