Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody having fun LOL?

We have a terrible local show but I drove 75 miles to a nearby venue today and had a great time. 99's were few, and were beaters, and expensive. Nothing even mildly interesting. But I did spy a Savage model 19 in 22 Hornet I thought was very cool, but not something I wanted. Gal that owned it said she had killed a few deer with it. Great shape with an asking price of $750. Good? Bad?

A weird one was a Savage model 20 bolt gun in, get this, 444 Marlin! Straight grip checkered stock. I didn't even ask. I would have picked it up but the place was crowded and my raw nerve was getting stepped all over. Went around a few times and never saw it, might have sold. Lots of ammo at pretty stupid prices. Typical gunshow prices.

The prizes, the biggy's anyway were-

1) I found out some more information about the gold plated 1899A in 303 I recently bought at auction.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2) Found a Mossberg Palamino lever action 22 I've been looking for for forever, and it's been under a bed for 50'ish years. Not a box of shells through it since new. Mint condition. Struck up a conversation and made a great deal on it. Later found a nice Leupold 4x compact to put on it at another table. Not even priced just sitting back on the edge behind some schit and I said, "Hey! What's that?!" And before I knew it I had a match made in heaven.

Connected with some guys I've traded with in the past and just had a fantastic time.

Anybody got a gunshow report?

LOL
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like the gold plated 99. Went to a gun show in my town today. It’s usually not a good show, but I bought a Sako 270 last show. There was a 50 ish 99 in 300 there today in nice condition. I don’t know my models well enough. Receiver was not tapped. Price was $800. 20 years ago that would have been a $400 gun or less. May go back tomorrow as the ticket is good for both days. I talked to a guy carrying around a Marlin 39. He knew the year and said it was only made one year. He called it a peanut model. There was something one the grip cap that identified it. California gun shows have sucked for the last 20 years to never return thanks to the Democrats .

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Have a small show at the local vfw next weekend. Usually find something of interest there.
March 9-10 , 400 table show in Lewiston. I will have a couple tables there. Great show , always see alot of Savages , i bet last year there were 20-30 1899-99’s there. Prices all over the board .
Im going to be selling some big guns there , why do I need 6- 375 H&H ‘s ? . And seems alot of older Winchester’s coming down in price from what they used to bring . Last show there I bought 2 Winchester model 1894’s octagon rifles, 25-35 made 1896 , and 38-55 made in 1898 .
Looking forward to it !!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Roy, inquiring minds are wondering what you found out about the gold plated 1899A

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Ted we can agree on that !! inquiring minds are wondering

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cool Palomino. I lusted for one when I was a kid back in the Paleozoic Age.

Yeah, what is the story with that golden 99? Came out of Saddam Hussein's vault?

Gun shows around here are rather sucky. If you want black guns and cheap blasting ammo to go with your cheap Made in China hunting knives you're in business. If you want quality vintage blue steel and walnut it's either not there or the yokel has internet/collector's price tags on it.

The Baltimore Antique/Vintage Arms Show is a month away. 1000 tables, something for everybody (unless you're into black guns and cheap blasting ammo in which case you're sh*t out of luck because that stuff's not allowed in). I wish it were monthly but it's but once a year. Only drawback is no post-1898 handguns which is a bummer because I've been on a pre-war Colt kick of late.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gary you would have LOVED the lever action falling block rifles I saw today. One in particular a 32-40 schuetzen (sp) with a fat 1 1/4" barrel. Awesome rifle collection from a man with 650 guns.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've got more work to do on the origin of the Golden Gun. I have one of the builders names and location but no known associates yet. He appears to be deceased.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I contemplated going to the nearest show to me yesterday but it was a 2 hour drive one way. Didn’t make the trip.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picked this up Friday night at a show. It's had the metal cleaned a little to aggressively, but still has almost all original blue left on the barrel, some on the receiver, but very little on the lever & buttplate. If it was rusty I like them to just have the loose rust taken off and the fine brown toning left. The wood is nice. The front sight is a Marble's improved and has the correct rear sight but the ears have been filed flat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's an early gun, #5331, but the buttplate does not match and there isn't any markings at all on the stock.
[Linked Image]
... and it's not a 22 pump.....didn't realize that until I got home...

Gene
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yikes! You're slipping Gene! Fair substitute for a .22 pump though. In fact, a dammed fair substitute. Nice acquisition!

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Went to a gunshow today. All we found was an LC Smith 20 gauge Angelo B engraved SxS.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That Smith gun would've made me smile the whole way home!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Went back to the gun show today. Found some once fired 222 brass 55 for $15. Bought 1000 small rifle primers $90. What a shocker from buying 20 years ago. I knew the guy selling the primers. He wanted $100. I looked them up online and he was too high. I’m glad I got them.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sold alot of stuff at that show Alan, during the NoBama years. Had three tables, not much left to take home!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Went to a small venue local show this weekend. Lots of black guns, a few interesting Smith’s, and older classic Beretta 80 series. But no Savage 99’s, and only one older Savage bolt that wasn’t very appealing. Prices overall still pretty high. Still, it beats doing yard work!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kenster99
Sold alot of stuff at that show Alan, during the NoBama years. Had three tables, not much left to take home!
Hey buddy, thanks for reaching out. I might know you by face. I have always enjoyed talking to the dealers but sadly they are either getting out of it or passing away. I talked to an older fellow today that was once a prosecuting attorney.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty nice, Gene! As good as the fit is on that buttstock to the receiver, I'm betting it's original.

Bet they filed down the rear sight to be able to use the peep sight better.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nice score Gene! I can't imagine one around here.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by GeneB
Picked this up Friday night at a show. It's had the metal cleaned a little to aggressively, but still has almost all original blue left on the barrel, some on the receiver, but very little on the lever & buttplate. If it was rusty I like them to just have the loose rust taken off and the fine brown toning left. The wood is nice. The front sight is a Marble's improved and has the correct rear sight but the ears have been filed flat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's an early gun, #5331, but the buttplate does not match and there isn't any markings at all on the stock.
[Linked Image]
... and it's not a 22 pump.....didn't realize that until I got home...
Don’t know why but I like those Marble’s Improved. My 1928 F 303 has one on it. I started reading about the Marbles when I got that gun. One source called it the 1899 Marbles Improved. But then I read he didn’t patent it until about 1902 or so. Gary Groshal had an extra so I got it for my 1902 engraved rifle. It had a badly bent front sight with a 1909 patent. Couldn’t have that on my 1902 rifle. More up to date/accurate info is welcome.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 02/19/24.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.