-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m building a couple pedestals for a pair of pronghorn bucks I killed over the last few years and I’m having a hard time coming up with a good way to attach the mount to the top of the pedestal. Looking for ideas in that regard… pictures are worth a thousand words if you happen to have some. Would love to have some flexibility on height and swivel for final positioning of the mount, but not necessary. Any ideas?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For pedestal mounts, my taxidermist imbeds about an 8" section of 1" I.D. square steel tubing inside of the bottom of the mount.

Then when I make my pedestals, I make the top with at least 3" of solid wood. My taxidermist then has a 6" section of 1" O.D. square steel that is welded to the top of a 4" x 1/2" dia lag screw.

The mount with the square tube just slides down on to the square steel screwed into the top of the pedestal.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My guy runs a 1" pipe up thru the base and puts a bigger pipe in the, pedestal mount. Just slide it on the pipe and it allows you to swivel the mount to your preference. Need to work with your taxidermist and make sure your on the same page. Once he sets the pipe where it needs to be, he will fill in the habitat around the pipe.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, but unfortunately these mounts are already completed ‘wall pedestals’ and I can’t imbed the female end into the form. I like the concept though… if I can figure out how to mount the female section of tubing (square or round) to the back of the form. Perhaps some straps, like EMT straps used to secure conduit to a wall would work.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The wooden back on the mount should be strong enough to attach say a nice hardwood 1x2 to it and then the pedestal below with a swivel base. Set the bottom of the mount just on the base for support as well.
Maybe get a sage brush to cover the board or whatever on the back.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a wall mount I'm going to put on a dual pedestal base when last year's deer is done. My guy is gonna drill the hole in the bottom of the wall mount and epoxy the pipe up inside. Gonna use a hole saw on a drill after drilling a pilot hole.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never used them, but SKane posted a link to this company in a different thread. Looks like it might work for what you want.

https://fullrangesystems.com/products/pedestal-mount

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That’s exactly what I had in my head, pointer. Thanks for posting it. Unfortunately I only need a single and hopefully something cheaper. Wishing I knew how to weld… that would make this much easier.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think I'm going to end up using a combination of 3/4" black pipe fittings, flanges, and nipples... that should get me where I need to be. Thanks for the ideas and help gentlemen!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Finished them up over the weekend!

(No idea why the pictures appear so small... try clicking on them, I guess)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I like how they turned out. I’m going to that exact same thing once I killed a bigger speed goat!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ELKiller
That’s exactly what I had in my head, pointer. Thanks for posting it. Unfortunately I only need a single and hopefully something cheaper. Wishing I knew how to weld… that would make this much easier.
Lets see. Something to cut the steel. A welder. Wire or rods. Learn how. Welding is far from cheap....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,253
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.