Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Looking for feedback for an Arctic grizzly - NOT brown bear - hunt with this outfit run by Brad Saalsaa. Apparently the grizzly hunts start out of Kotzebue to the spike camps.

Anyone who’s done this specific hunt recently or Alaskan brethren who know of the outfit personally and is willing to provide details of the hunts would be appreciated. Reliability of the outfit, experience of the guides, results, grizzly population in the hunted area?

Considering this hunt. Thanks for any input.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
They didn’t give you any references? How are you being transported to the spike camps? Is this a Spring or Fall hunt?
Where is the hunt area, in relation to OTZ?

Last edited by pipercub; 02/18/24.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know that name, I just cannot place it at the momemnt. If I can figure it out I will message you.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve heard mixed reviews of that outfit and Mr. Saalsaa in particular.

It seems he generally works hard for clients but I have heard instances of otherwise. I am unsure how much of a PIA those clients were who had bad experiences or how demanding they were. That is always something to consider.

Brad supposedly has a lot of knowledge, but also a shlt personality, if that is important to you. I know of at least one instance where his operation supposedly (and not necessarily by Brad himself) dropped DIY clients off in a wrong area and shot some animals illegally (unbeknownst to them until later). That it is hearsay though. I am unsure whatever happened to that situation.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by pipercub
They didn’t give you any references? How are you being transported to the spike camps? Is this a Spring or Fall hunt?

pipercub,

I haven’t asked for any references as I just found out about this outfit and don’t plan to make contact unless I can establish whether it’s a credible and reputable outfitter. If we decide to look further, the hunt will include my son and me. It would be his first AK hunt, though he has experience in other places.

My past experience has led me to put very little weight on references provided by outfitters, unless I know who the references are. I’ve seen a lot of slanted references and testimonials and so I tend to be skeptical. That’s one of the reasons I posted here looking for 24HCF folk I recognize through their long and credible posting history.

From what I can tell this outfit hunts grizzlies in 2 areas out of Kotzebue, delivering hunters as usual, via bush plane. I saw one was a Super Cub. One of the areas is described as a “Federal Preserve Concession,” with both areas “north of the Arctic circle.” I don’t know the direction from Kotzubue as I’ve never hunted that area on any of my prior AK hunts. It’s described as a Fall hunt, and seems to be early in the season (NLT Aug/early Sep?) based on the late sunset time described in this video . The tags are said to be over the counter, if that helps to narrow it down for those who know the area. It isn’t described as a special early hunt or a predator control area.

The video showed 3 shooting industry guys hunting with this outfit. Another reason I posted and asked is because I know that promotional videos of well-known hunters, gunwriters or industry people are often not representative of normal client hunts.

T Inman,

Although fortunately not frequently, I’ve had some experience with outfitters with shi**y personalities. Sometimes the hunt was great, because guides, territory, game, camp managers & staff were good at their job. I don’t hunt with those outfitters again. I did notice that the outfit used to offer DYI drop-off caribou hunts, but doesn’t anymore. Don’t know if that’s related to the incident you mentioned. Obviously I’d check AK F&G for prior sanctions against Mr. Saalsaa, if any. Some times screw ups can happen though outfitters are responsible for the type of stuff you describe.

Thanks to all for the input. Hopefully I can figure out whether this is worthwhile pursuing or not.

If not, I’d appreciate recommendations on other reliable outfitters who can provide a good interior grizzly hunt.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Originally Posted by pipercub

pipercub,

I haven’t asked for any references as I just found out about this outfit and don’t plan to make contact unless I can establish whether it’s a credible and reputable outfitter. If we decide to look further, the hunt will include my son and me. It would be his first AK hunt, though he has experience in other places.

My past experience has led me to put very little weight on references provided by outfitters, unless I know who the references are. I’ve seen a lot of slanted references and testimonials and so I tend to be skeptical. That’s one of the reasons I posted here looking for 24HCF folk I recognize through their long and credible posting history.

From what I can tell this outfit hunts grizzlies in 2 areas out of Kotzebue, delivering hunters as usual, via bush plane. I saw one was a Super Cub. One of the areas is described as a “Federal Preserve Concession,” with both areas “north of the Arctic circle.” I don’t know the direction from Kotzubue as I’ve never hunted that area on any of my prior AK hunts. It’s described as a Fall hunt, and seems to be early in the season (NLT Aug/early Sep?) based on the late sunset time described in this video . The tags are said to be over the counter, if that helps to narrow it down for those who know the area. It isn’t described as a special early hunt or a predator control area.

The video showed 3 shooting industry guys hunting with this outfit. Another reason I posted and asked is because I know that promotional videos of well-known hunters, gunwriters or industry people are often not representative of normal client hunts.

T Inman,

Although fortunately not frequently, I’ve had some experience with outfitters with shi**y personalities. Sometimes the hunt was great, because guides, territory, game, camp managers & staff were good at their job. I don’t hunt with those outfitters again. I did notice that the outfit used to offer DYI drop-off caribou hunts, but doesn’t anymore. Don’t know if that’s related to the incident you mentioned. Obviously I’d check AK F&G for prior sanctions against Mr. Saalsaa, if any. Some times screw ups can happen though outfitters are responsible for the type of stuff you describe.

Thanks to all for the input. Hopefully I can figure out whether this is worthwhile pursuing or not.

If not, I’d appreciate recommendations on other reliable outfitters who can provide a good interior grizzly hunt.

His website still shows drop off caribou hunts…but maybe it isn’t updated. That Kotz area has been under fire concerning non-subsistence caribou hunting, so that may have had something to do with them possibly not offering drop off caribou anymore. I am unsure.

Brad also guids fishing out of Ketchikan so maybe you could find some of his past clients from down there to discuss things with. He is well known, good or bad. I’ve never met the man so my ‘experience’ is all 2nd hand.

As far as ‘fall’….late Aug and Sep are certainly considered fall hunts in that area and bears should be fully furred. Those boars will be in the den by Oct quite often.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
If you are interested in that particular region of Alaska, I'd get ahold of James Smith with Alaska HuntSmith.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks. I’ll look him up. Have you hunted with him? Do you know him?

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Brad used to work with Kurt Lepping quite a bit back in the day if I remember correctly.

I heard Brad straightened up once folks were loosing airplanes. Never met him though, I stayed away from that crowd. All 2nd hand info so maybe I'm wrong...

Two of the three bears in that video were dinks. Which is fine by me if thats what the hunter wants and it legal. But if the guides are pushing to shoot pretty much any bear that walks by I'd want to hunt with a different operation.

Ive spent a fair amount of time in that country. Some good bears around there if a guy puts his time in.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks, trapperJ. Very helpful and quite diplomatic.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
That is a good area for grizzly. I’ve never hunted them there, but when out meat hunting in that country, we always saw bears. If that guide was working with Kurt Lepping, I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole…Dave Leonard used to hunt over there, he may have moved east towards Bettles though.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Contacted a couple of other outfitters hunting in that general area.

Sounds like they’re booked through 2026 or 2027 so they seem ‘fat and happy’ right now. Not sure we’ll get a chance in 2025, though there may still be an outside chance, thanks to a 24HCF member.

In addition, as I commented a few years back on a thread here, hunting elephant and PG in Zimbabwe has now become more affordable that single-species brown or grizzly bear hunting in AK, maybe even moose. I understand the dynamics and attendant expense of logistical support and transportation of remote AK camps, but the Nash Equilibrium is about to hit AK hunting. It’s clearly an endeavor for very wealthy hunters and shooting industry insiders, resident hunters, and those young and fit enough to take a chance with smaller backpack outfits.

For years I was able to fit into the last category, but those days are gone for me. So, I’ll have to settle for the Lower 48 and probably one last African safari. Not complaining or whining just observing the reality of the future of Alaskan hunting. Hopefully it wont go bust as it prices itself out of the market with so many other worldwide destinations becoming more affordable. Just my take YMMV.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,159
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.