Print Thread
Hop To
G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Is anyone familiar with the Remington Peerless shotgun that can describe or show how to remove the top lever? I have mine broken down to that point because of a light strike/misfire problem and I found debris in the lockwork, as well as as couple burrs the hammers were rubbing on the frame. I want to remove the firing pins to clean them and the hole. To get the firing pins out the retaining pins have to come out and the top lever and bolt need to be out to do that. I can't see anything that retains the lever but there are one or two internal springs that provide rotational tension. I don't want to pry where I shouldn't and I don't know if it should be in the open position or closed. Any help is appreciated.

GB1

G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Bump...anyone?
I think I've corrected the light firing pin strikes by polishing an area where the hammers were rubbing on the frame. But, I started to get pierced primers on the lower barrel and the strike on the spent primers shows that the tip of the pin is rough. Sure enough, under magnification the end of the pin is rough which if it's anything like a centerfire rifle FP, can cause the primer cup to fracture. Didn't notice it before so could have been caused by this lot of ammunition but that is a moot point. The pin needs to be removed and repaired or replaced. Which brings me back to the original question of how the top lever can be removed in order to get the locking block out to get to the firing pin retaining pins?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
https://www.remarms.com/sites/default/files/Peerless.pdf
This shows a Detent / plunger and related parts behind the locking Bolt.
I have not had one come thru my shop to work on , so I would say look for a screw pin retainer and blow up the diagram for hints.
Hope this helps.
Rich

Last edited by Mooseman684; 02/21/24.

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the thoughts Rich. I had it stripped to the point where the lever and the locking bolt were the only parts left and the bolt blocks access to the FP retaining pins. I'll go at it again, but from memory, there are no other pins accessible that would engage the locking lever. I do know there are a couple springs and detents in there but they seem to all be blind.

I called a local shop that does a lot of sales and support of trap shooters and their gunsmith said in no uncertain terms that he had never worked on a Peerless, and had no desire whatsoever to ever have one in his shop. I guess they have a bad rep of some sort. Too bad because I really like mine. I guess I need to get on one of the trap shooter forums to try and find someone that may be more accommodating. It isn't had to get apart to this point and repairing or replacing the pin will be a breeze, once the lever and bolt are out. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a couple pics on here and maybe that will trigger some additional thoughts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 62 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,295
Posts18,487,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.