-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 452 wears a 6x Leupold Compact AO. My Bergara BMRs wear Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42, AO. Have both the illumination and BDC and prefer the illumination.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mostly El Paso Weaver K2.5X, parallax adjusted to 50 yards. Have a couple of Leupy M8 Compacts that are also 2.5X. They are cheap, durable and perfectly functional here in the swamps. And yes, they can aim very precisely. Also use them with my .30-30 T/C Carbine and a few others

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I picked up a minty Unertl 6x Small Game scope with the thought of mounting it on a Springfield M2 .22. Now that it's in hand I can't bring myself to drill and tap the old girl, even though the Armory would do it for a civilian customer for a nominal fee if requested and nobody today would ever know it wasn't done as such. I guess I'll just continue on punching paper and killing stuff with the Lyman 48 receiver sight that it came with.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am a fan of the now discontinued Weaver 2-7X28 rimfire scope. I bought a number of them when they were being discontinued on sale at Natchez. I owned a couple prior to that that made me jump on the sale.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This older Leupold Vari-X II, 2-7x28 RF ain’t bad, neither:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I use the same scopes I would for my centerfire rifles.

Pretty much this for me as well. But what kind of rimfire are we talking about? I think there is more than one answer to your question.

I use .17 HMR AND WSM for hunting ground squirrels. I have S&B 2.5-10x56 scopes for hunting with my Anschutz firearms.

Targets? What kind? I'm experimenting with my Vudoo .22LR using a Kahles 5-25x56 with adjustable parallax. That’s for long range. But it also works for short as well. Parallax goes down 10 meters.

For hunting with .22LR and WMR (which I have not done for a long time) I used Leupold Vari X3 1.5-5x20 for these. Plenty of scope out to 100 yards, which is the practical range for this caliber when used for varmint hunting. Because of the low power, there is no need for parallax adjustments.

For my T/C pistols I use EER scopes. I have a .22 LR and another barrel in .17 HMR. Leupold 4x for the .22 and a T/C 2-7 for the HMR.

Lots of answers.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by PennDog
K22 the Burris 6X mini is a gem - especially for squirrel hunting and is my second favorite - right behind the leupold 6X compact AO with a Leupold dot. This is for hunting and general usage - I like the light weight the most and plenty of power. The Weaver V-16 and Leupold 6.5-20X EFR are my favorites for target and silhouette. There are many others mentioned that work great also!

Just my two cents😊

PennDog

I heard those Leupold 6X compact AO's were outstanding. Never had the pleasure of using one, only the FX II 6X.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by EdM
I am a fan of the now discontinued Weaver 2-7X28 rimfire scope. I bought a number of them when they were being discontinued on sale at Natchez. I owned a couple prior to that that made me jump on the sale.
Like these too and have a few. Also a fan of its larger cousin the 3-9x32 AO especially for 22wmr and 17HMR. Sadly they were discontinued also.

Last edited by ring3; 02/18/24. Reason: Added info
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just put a Leopold VariXII 3x9x40 on a Cooper Custom Classic 17 HMR.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Because I'm a curious sort and yes, I know what happened to the Cat. LOL Anyway, I was wondering what would be the rimfire scope of choice if you could only pick one scope for rimfire use. The use would include informal target shooting, Squirrel hunting, and just all around plinking.
As some know, mine is the old Burris 6X mini AO scope.

A couple of honorable mentions for me is the Leupold FX-II 6X36 with fine duplex and parallax set at 40yds.
One other that I'm really liking is the Tract 3-9X40 rimfire scope.

You are going to get so many answers, and they will all probably work well. I know no one is going to suggest the scopes I use, but that is fine. I like to keep the power range to around a 4.5-14x42 or 4-16x. Those power ranges are quite usable. I also use second focal plane scopes, as the reticle getting smaller (to the point you can't see it), and larger, where it's huge and useless for way out there, when you crank it up is pointless: I just stick with a SFP scope. The main rifles I use right now, wear discontinued Burris AR rifle scopes. These scopes get used on all of my AR's as well, except for my 6.5 Creedmoor, that uses a NF. The beaty in this scope is it can be used on just about every type of rifle in the inventory. They weigh 18 oz's, and are not extremely huge, like some newer scopes are (no offense Arken).

One scope I have to show, is a LOW made Weaver v16 4-16x42, and it is also a great simple scope that works very well. The parallax adjusts down to 30 feet, or something like that, and the glass is pretty good. However, the Burris AR scopes shown in the pic are better...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Weaver on the model 52:

Burris on the cheap azzed Savage MK2:

Old faithful with a Burris:

I've always liked a little more magnification, even on a "squirrel" hunting rifle. Here, that is ground squirrels and jackrabbits. So trust me, I have a little experience at shooting at running targets too. A lot of the times, I'll head shoot squirrels, and the higher magnification helps with that. Shot the head off a ground squirrel yesterday, at 508 yards away. Using a 308 and a Nightforce though, so that doesn't count in the rimfire section..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay - you guys convinced me.

A like new LEUPOLD M8-6X COMPACT in original box and papers, front parallax, duplex reticles is coming over to play on my 22RF rifle.

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]

I don't recall these scopes in a Compact with AO. Must have been manufactured in the early 80s.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Okay - you guys convinced me.

A like new LEUPOLD M8-6X COMPACT in original box and papers, front parallax, duplex reticles is coming over to play on my 22RF rifle.

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]

I don't recall these scopes in a Compact with AO. Must have been manufactured in the early 80s.

That is a sweet scope! I'll bet it works great.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’m having a RimX built right now for NLR22 and PRS rimfire shooting. I’m planning on running a Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56. Parallax adjusts down real close to about 12 yards. Erector provides 36 mils of elevation which should be enough to get a .22 out past 400 with a 30 MOA rail.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Some brands and models of scope are mentioned often, but there still are a lot of different scopes and sizes being used.
I was never a fan of the hubble telescopes. With modern technology I've noticed they are getting shorter which is a plus in my book, but they are sure gaining weight. Trying to keep up with society? LOL
A 20+ oz. scope isn't something I would put on my light weight Squirrel rifles, but again, that's just me.
A few years back I tested 2 of my rifles I knew would shoot the same ammo very accurately. The ammo was Wolf Target Match. The distance was 50yds. and one rifle had a 24X scope on it and the other a 6X. Both rifle bores were cleaned before I started shooting. The results verified what I was saying concerning me and my shooting. I could match the group size at 50yds with a 6X scope versus a 24X.
Nothing against the higher magnification scopes, only that my needs for a Squirrel hunting scope aren't the same as others. Most of my Squirrel shooting occurred in trees much lower than 50yds. and a good clear 6X was more than enough scope. In fact, I used to zero my 22lr. rimfires at 100ft. as that was close to the maximum ft. I ever had to shoot. Add to that I was shooting uphill so a scope set to hit approx. 1/8" above center always worked for me. The rifle I used back then, a KDF K22, is still zeroed to hit 1/8" high at 100ft. That setup never failed me.
Below is the target I shot with the 2 different scopes.

This is a couple of targets I shot many years ago with the KDF K22 @100ft. The larger target at the top was shot by the owner of KDF at 50yds using my rifle and Win. Super X. The guarantee from KDF was 5rds. of Win. Super X @50yds into a 1/2" group or better.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
K22 - IMO it is hard to beat the Burris you already have, I had one of them years ago and was really fond of it. I do seem to remember that it was a bit dark and the eyebox was critical, if my memory is correct I can see why you are thinking of something else, particuarly for a dark woods hunting scope.
Of the ones you listed in you original post I would go with the Leupold 6x36, it has good glass and the eyebox is not critical, and they look nice on a trim 22 rifle. The Tract may be a good scope but I really despise the looks of the Euro style eyepiece, they ruin the lines of nice looking rifles.

Nice targets - I am of the same opinion as you regarding magnification. I do like higher power but a lower power is not as much of a handicap as they are made out to be.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I agree that lower magnification can be very accurate. With a Leupold 3X I’ve taken African game at yardages of 100, 130, 150, 220, and 240.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by K22
Because I'm a curious sort and yes, I know what happened to the Cat. LOL Anyway, I was wondering what would be the rimfire scope of choice if you could only pick one scope for rimfire use. The use would include informal target shooting, Squirrel hunting, and just all around plinking.
As some know, mine is the old Burris 6X mini AO scope.

A couple of honorable mentions for me is the Leupold FX-II 6X36 with fine duplex and parallax set at 40yds.
One other that I'm really liking is the Tract 3-9X40 rimfire scope.

Since Leupold moved their RF specials from the FX and VX II lines to the "Freedom" series I've had nothing but bad luck with them. I can't recommend them anymore. My next RF scope is probably going to be a Simmons ".22 magnum", either 4X or the 3-9X. It's been a long time but I had one on a boat paddle 77/22 mag and it was good enough for turning live squirrels into dead ones at 100 yards or a bit more. The only other seemingly viable option is to get an adjustable objective centerfire scope. I recently moved an old 4-12X Vari X II AO from my .17 HMR to my .22 long rifle. With the fine duplex, I like it. I had a 4.5-14X FD/AO Vx 3 from the custom shop sitting homeless so I put it on the 17 HMR. Seems pretty good there. That .17 is a 77/17 HMR VT, pretty heavy rifle, and I might put a 6-18X vari x II AO on it. Going to try it as-is and decide if more X-s would be better for shooting between grass blades 'n' so on.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My preferred scopes on .22RF's are Leupold Rimfire Special 4x and Baby Redfield 3/4" 4x. I have a Lyman Alaskan with a dot reticle on my Springfield 1922 M2 Custom Sporter, I agree that low powered scopes are capable of producing small groups. That set-up will consistantly put 50 rounds of CCI Std. Velocity into one ragged hole @ 50 yds, frequently doing better than my Winchester 52 Sporter.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by drover
K22 - IMO it is hard to beat the Burris you already have, I had one of them years ago and was really fond of it. I do seem to remember that it was a bit dark and the eyebox was critical, if my memory is correct I can see why you are thinking of something else, particuarly for a dark woods hunting scope.
Of the ones you listed in you original post I would go with the Leupold 6x36, it has good glass and the eyebox is not critical, and they look nice on a trim 22 rifle. The Tract may be a good scope but I really despise the looks of the Euro style eyepiece, they ruin the lines of nice looking rifles.

Nice targets - I am of the same opinion as you regarding magnification. I do like higher power but a lower power is not as much of a handicap as they are made out to be.

drover

Your Leupold 6X36 choice is an excellent one. Back when Leupold had great customer service, they set the parallax to 40yds. on 4 6X36 for our shop. I bought all 4 of them. grin They also replaced the standard duplex with a fine duplex and those scopes are awesome. One of the features I really like about the Burris 6X I have is that 5" eye relief. I shoot with both eyes open and that much eye relief helps a bunch.
The Tract optics are very clear, super clear may be a better description, but the scope is a 3-9X40 which is more than I need on a Squirrel rifle. I'll probably mount on the 22mag.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I agree that lower magnification can be very accurate. With a Leupold 3X I’ve taken African game at yardages of 100, 130, 150, 220, and 240.

Wow! That is outstanding.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,980
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.