Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SupFoo Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Kevin Costner invests in Utah for next career move

The "Field of Dreams" actor is planting roots in the great American Southwest and building a state-of-the-art film studio in St. George, Utah.

His next major career milestone will see the rise of the Territory Film Studios on the outskirts of town, roughly 30 minutes outside of Zion National Park in southern Utah.

Costner's studios will include multiple structures with the Pine Valley Mountains serving as a backdrop to the new business venture.

St. George Mayor Michele Randall confirmed with Fox News Digital that Territory Film Studios is hoping to "break ground in the spring or summer," depending on permitting processes.

Once completed, the studios will have 70,000 square feet of sound stages, 51,000 square feet of production warehouses and nearly 32,000 square feet of production offices.

The lot will also include a sit-down restaurant and an on-site catering department.

Costner mortgaged 10 acres of a $50 million, oceanfront Santa Barbara property to ensure proper funding for the project, Deadline reported.

"I’ve mortgaged 10 acres on the water in Santa Barbara where I was going to build my last house," Costner said. "But I did it without a thought. It has thrown my accountant into a f---ing conniption fit. But it’s my life, and I believe in the idea and the story."

FOX Business - Lots More Here

Ya, and some peeps told him he was nuts for financing "Dances with Wolves". Hahahahaha

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by SupFoo; 02/19/24.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A couple years ago 4 wheeling near Moab, came across his production company filming in the desert. Working on his 3 part movie “Horizon”.
Some locals had their pictures taken with him in the local bar & restaurant.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Costner did some filming here locally also for Horizon also

Hope he stays in St George

Don’t need all the hype and attention

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I hope his new studio produces and makes a lot of exceptional Westerns, just can't seem to get enough new quality westerns to watch.

When I got divorced my x-wife said "Finally I can get a break of the sound of Cowboys and Indians shooting in my house" hahaha

🐎🤠

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/19/24.

KB

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Many wonderful westerns have been made in the area (including Snow Canyon, Kanab, Monument Valley, etc.) The difference is that the production companies, people, etc. came and then left after the movies were made.

Costner, whose movies I have enjoyed, sees a business opportunity and wants to come and stay! The scenery and scenic "draw" have not changed. What has changed is that St. George and the surrounding area has been pummeled by growth over the last 3 decades, now probably approaching 250k +/- with the traffic, sprawl, water needs, etc. that a metropolis requires... think Las Vegas 60 years ago!

St. George was an amazing place back in the 60-70's when it only had ~20k in the area. Same beauty and few people... about the time Robert Redford filmed part of a popular movie in Snow Canyon (then left!) Then I-15 was soon "completed" through the Virgin River Gorge making travel between LA,Vegas, and SLC uninterrupted and it has never been quite the same... fast forward to today! It is still beautiful but NOT the same.

There is obviously still $ to be made... more retirement communities, more supporting businesses, golf courses, aqueducts/pipelines to bring water that the desert does not have, etc. Think Vegas, S. Calif., Phoenix, etc!

Yep! Build it and they will come. At least Costner is consistent, predictable, and "loves" the environment he showcases in his movies. Looking forward to his next series/movie... Brigham and the Shivwits dance with their "wives" together in S. Utah "Paradise"?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm still hoping for a good Mexican restaurant.

Old guy, old guns.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by StGeorger

If you get the "pipeline" from Powell or something from the Nevada side (Snake River? drainage), perhaps you will get enough water for the planned growth and a little "extra" for some local agriculture. That might bring some better cuisine from the "south". The overall diversity is still somewhat limited.

In the meantime, Cafe Sabor will have to do I guess! People are grateful for the same up north in Island Park (flyfishing country)... probably a good compromise overall! Think before you wish...

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by lundtroller

If you get the "pipeline" from Powell or something from the Nevada side (Snake River? drainage), perhaps you will get enough water for the planned growth and a little "extra" for some local agriculture. That might bring some better cuisine from the "south". The overall diversity is still somewhat limited.

In the meantime, Cafe Sabor will have to do I guess! People are grateful for the same up north in Island Park (flyfishing country)... probably a good compromise overall! Think before you wish...
Island Park has been ruined. It’s basically a colony of Utah in the summer.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Kanab....next trip....try this joint

My fav

https://escobarskanab.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut

My fav

And in six more months, there will be 50 more Mexican Restaurants with 10,000,000 more pouring in across your southern flank!

KB

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Seeing the title, I thought he had invested in the baseball expansion efforts in Utah.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell with Mexican. I'd love a good Pho' joint.

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by KillerBee

My fav

And in six more months, there will be 50 more Mexican Restaurants with 10,000,000 more pouring in across your southern flank!

This

>>>>>>FJB<<<<<<

and cameltoe harris

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steve

Steve

please clarify

I live in rural Utah

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Steve

please clarify

I live in rural Utah

Pho= Fancy Top Ramen

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Agree that Island Park is on the path to being "ruined" as well.

Idaho residents have actually been outnumbered by Utah residents up there for at least 50-75+ years if you look at its history. It started to be noticed after the creation of YNP and the arrival of the railroad, wealthy tourists, and their $$$. Harriman State Park, named after its owner/rancher/railroad magnate was the site of one of the earliest ranches built by $$$ from back East, not Idaho or Utah, for that matter!

The "Wasatch Front" development mentality and their $$$ have been responsible for much of recent changes though in IP with it and W. Yellowstone becoming one of Utah's summer playgrounds. The same can be said for St. George, especially in the winter, but the local mountains, skiing, and National Parks make it just as crowded in the summer as well.

The Wasatch Front, for all intents and purposes, might as well be called Southern California-North already with the strip connecting Victorville/Barstow to Las Vegas to Mesquite/St. George to Santaquin/Payson/Provo to SLC to Ogden to Pocatello to Idaho Falls to IP/W. Yellowstone to Bozeman just more of the same!!! Yeah, there is still some desert sage, wheat, alfalfa, jackrabbits and water between them and what, ~800 or 900 miles, but it is filling up fast and not necessarily for the better. It will never be what it was which is obvious, but still sad. Younger visitors and residents will not know the difference... they think it is great and keep coming!!! Another good reason mortality is "finite!!!"

Tikka' is still isolated to some degree... for now. I rarely share "secret spots" anymore like I used to.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hardway

Steve

please clarify

I live in rural Utah

Pho= Fancy Top Ramen

OK

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
[quote=

Tikka' is still isolated to some degree... for now. I rarely share "secret spots" anymore like I used to.[/quote]

What he said ^^^^^

No longer share unless you are side x side with me w/o a recording devise

Too much exposure with UTube...Utah touronism...and tourons I no longer associate with

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Saint whorehey is dirtier than than a wetback outhouse. The only decent thing in that city is the MW gunshop.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
When Deadwood got gambling Costner showed up bought downtown and outside of town. Midnight Star gambling joint downtown and built a motel, resturant and gambling joint on the outside of town. Their were other developments planned but he got bored sold out and left. Lots a luck to The Utah folks from his plans..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1100mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 19,067 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,979
Posts18,539,980
Members74,052
Most Online21,014
8 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.