Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you're looking to pull up to a continuous 100 amps of 240 volt into a sub-panel 275 feet away, 1/0 AWG copper cable, with a proper local ground. If you are going to be driving over the run and aren't placing it under a concrete driveway or walkway, use 1-1/2" to 2" conduit buried 18" to 24" deep. And whether or not you use conduit or direct buried cable, be damned sure back fill is free of any rocks. Personally, with the cost of electricity anymore, if this isn't going to be a 24/7 need, I'd be thinking about Solar with battery storage, or a good size generator installed at the shop.

Phil

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Decided to have another service.

Thanks for the helpful advice all.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There are better folks than I to answer. I'll agree with 200 amp. I don't think conduit is needed.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll vote for aluminum

Are you trying to start trouble? If not,,,, just stop, please stop. And if you come up with an electrical wire term like, Water Pump Wire again, I'm gonna reach through the screen & stick a wet finger in your ear. Or you'll hope it was a wet finger. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You could put another set of lugs in your meter base and feed another 200amp panel in your garage from the same meter. This is what I did at my first house and it worked perfectly, like it should.

I would not have the power company do it and install another meter base and then pay for another service the rest of your life. I worked for an electric utility for 30 years, they own up to the meter, after that you own it and do what you want.

S
S
I understand your concern about finding a good electrician for your home. It's important to have someone reliable and skilled to handle electrical work.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You have 200A in the house but will pulling from that cause a problem in the house? Electric furnace? A/C? All electric? Our house is all electric with 200A. I pulled 100A to a garage I built, then another 100 to a shop for my wife. She does art glass and runs 3 kilns, all at the same time on occasion. In the garage, I do some welding. Of course, not nearly everything runs at the same time. That's the big issue - what might the total load be at any 1 time? While you're welding, will you have clothes in the dryer and a roast in the oven? We've never had a problem yet.

Yep. the chances of running everything at the a same time is very very low. In my shop I have a Miller stick welder, drill press, 6 x10 steel lathe, wood lathe, 150 PSI air compressor, band saw, table saw, 2 grinders, chop saw, belt sander, miter saw + several hand tools. I tied in to my service between the meter and service panel in the house ( I can shut my power off at the mete) I put a 100 amp service panel in my shop.I pulled #4 copper, individual wire, plus a ground in conduit..I had electrician friend look it over and he said it was fine. Probably about 150 feet run.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You have 200A in the house but will pulling from that cause a problem in the house? Electric furnace? A/C? All electric? Our house is all electric with 200A. I pulled 100A to a garage I built, then another 100 to a shop for my wife. She does art glass and runs 3 kilns, all at the same time on occasion. In the garage, I do some welding. Of course, not nearly everything runs at the same time. That's the big issue - what might the total load be at any 1 time? While you're welding, will you have clothes in the dryer and a roast in the oven? We've never had a problem yet.

Yep. the chances of running everything at the a same time is very very low. In my shop I have a Miller stick welder, drill press, 6 x10 steel lathe, wood lathe, 150 PSI air compressor, band saw, table saw, 2 grinders, chop saw, belt sander, miter saw + several hand tools. I tied in to my service between the meter and service panel in the house ( I can shut my power off at the mete) I put a 100 amp service panel in my shop.I pulled #4 copper, individual wire, plus a ground in conduit..I had electrician friend look it over and he said it was fine. Probably about 150 feet run.

That is what we did on my garage. We turned off the main breaker on the meter box, then added a 100 amp feed to the garage.

The garage is wired for 15 amp lighting circuits, 20 amp 110 circuits for two freezers, one refrigerator, air compressor, bench tools and saws, two outside plugins, a fifty amp 220 inside for a welder, and a 30 amp 220 outside for an RV. Each 110 V circuit covered by GFCI as became code recently before our build.

You can never put too many circuits, wires or plugins in a garage or shop.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My barn is about that far away, have number 3 wire ran to it on a 100 amp breaker. I have a Miller 250, runs it no problem. Mine is in 2” conduit. I think the ground is a number 6. I also drove a ground rod at the barn.

I assume the furnace is gas? A gas furnace doest draw much, just a fan on a 20 amp breaker.

Last edited by hanco; 05/21/24.
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Probably best to have another drop installed considering to distance and the load you’re going to carry on it. A 220v welder typically has a 50 amp rating, a furnace can go 30 to 50 amps, air compressor is 10 to 20 amps. It won’t be hard to reach your 100 amp limit.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This may or may not be relevant, but if I run a second drop to my shop; it is considered a "commercial service" and is billed at a much higher rate. I actually removed my second drop and had a new (200a) panel put in for house and shop. In my instance of one, it easily saved me $100 plus per month by going to one service.

IC B3

S
S
Originally Posted by SilvaTerny
I understand your concern about finding a good electrician for your home. It's important to have someone reliable and skilled to handle electrical work.
When I needed some electrical work done, I decided to go with a residential electrician ottawa. They were professional, and thorough, and made sure everything was up to code. They took the time to explain what needed to be done and why, which I really appreciated. The cost was reasonable, and the peace of mind knowing the job was done correctly was worth it. I also did a bit of research before choosing. I looked at online reviews, asked friends and neighbors for recommendations, and even checked their certifications.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 358WCF, 19 invisible), 15,050 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,978
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.