Print Thread
Hop To
C
cfran Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I’d like to book one and go within the next 2 years if possible. Anyone familiar with an outfitter/lodge who does these hunts. If I can combine it with some fishing all the better.

I did a little reading on what Larsen Bay Lodge does on Kodiak and that is a possibility. If I could bring a non hunting wife along, great . . . but not a requirement. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Last edited by cfran; 02/20/24.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
L
This is also on my bucket list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d love to do this, but I believe the terrain is beyond my age and physical disabilities.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AB2506
I’d love to do this, but I believe the terrain is beyond my age and physical disabilities.
In the right year a Thanksgiving hunt can be done sitting in a boat...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
cfran Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I agree, and I know a few places that hunt from a boat, personally that’s no what I’m wanting to do.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You will probably be hunting the same way more or less if you’re staying at the lodge or onboard a boat.

After breakfast you’ll go to your selected spot by skiff and they’ll drop you on the beach with a walkie. You can hunt as far up the mountain as you want and bring your deer back to the beach to be picked up by the skiff. On a boat based hunt you may move after a couple days if you aren’t seeing game. At the lodge you’ll be confined to a smaller area, though it’ll be plenty big. Doubtful you’ll be shooting from the boat.

Kodiak is a great place and on good years a really great hunt. Thanksgiving is the timeframe to look at, the rut will be going and the deer should be lower down the mountain. IME October is the toughest time down there, deer are at the middle elevations in the thick vegetation and they don’t move like later during the rut.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that what Rick was doing when he spied the cougars?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
If you go in October halibut will be around but deer will be high.

As November comes into December you’ll have a hard time getting halibut out of Larsen bay.

Mike Flores is still running a boat far as I know. I’d pick second week of November personally.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
If you go in October halibut will be around but deer will be high.

As November comes into December you’ll have a hard time getting halibut out of Larsen bay.

Mike Flores is still running a boat far as I know. I’d pick second week of November personally.

I hunted and fished with Mike Flores several years ago in PWS. It was a great hunt and a great time.

https://ninilchik.com/affordable-alaska-fishing-packages/

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Is that what Rick was doing when he spied the cougars?
He was inside the boat... but not out in the skiff.
Demon rum! Scotch hangover...
We seldom shoot from the big boat.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An important change for the worse on Kodiak happened year before last. The nonresident limit was dropped to one.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Man that sucks. 1 deer for that much logistics ain’t worth it.

Oh well, I had my Turn.

I gotta get down to SE and shoot one in velvet above the clouds. If I could find one with split g2’s.. be awesome.

My current best Sitka looks like a medium 2.5 year old whitetail. Screwed up on a nice heavy but not wide 5x5

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anyone hunt out of Old Harbor and stay at Kodiak Sportsman's Lodge? How was it?

Last edited by Riflehunter; 03/02/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sitka deer are not native to Kodiak, if that matters to the OP….I prefer to hunt critters where they’re native when feasible, however Kodiak most certainly has the reputation for quality Sitka deer hunting.

Most of the bigger islands have lodges that cater to hunters and can accommodate a non hunter being along, from what I have been told. I have no experience with any of them but thought I’d pass that along. Fishing for anything other than maybe rockfish may be a bit slow if you go when the deer are rutting. That, and the seas likely will be a bit sporty.

cs Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was seriously looking into Kodiak until they lowered the NR limit to one. I switched my planning to POW island. Looks like NR deer on Kodiak will become limited to an add-on for a sheep hunt, which I’ll never be able to do.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is on my to-do list.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 257_X_50, 44 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,318
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.