B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Do You use it?
When? Sizing, Mandrel, Seating?
What Brand?
I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube. It is awful messy and God forbid you spill it.
Is there something better?
Is it a waste of time?

Life is to short eat desert first
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I use the Imperial Neck Lube too. I like it and it eliminates the necessity of removing the lube from the inside of the necks after resizing. Guaranteed to make a huge mess if you drop or spill it…it does make the passage of the expander ball nice and smooth.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Same here. Imperial is the best.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use Imperial's dry lube with the application glass beads.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
I use Imperial's dry lube with the application glass beads.

i use the same but use .038 stainless steel balls, they don’t stick to the necks like the glass beads do

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
# 7or 8 shot in baby food jar and about two teaspoons of powdered graphite. Shake. Dip neck in and size

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Only on brand new cases after thst just brush the necks with stiff nylon brush and use the carbon on the inside of the necks.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use powdered graphite, and have for a lot of years, I keep some in an old 224 bullet box (Sierra) and use it when a new case is a bit tight around the neck. Mostly though, my neck sizing is done with a Lee neck die, and they seldom need any lube.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I use a brass tin from Sovereign Hill in Ballarat filled with Molybond (molybdenum disulphide powder) and short Forster brushes screwed in to handles from the K&M flash hole reamers.

And Imperial or similar for expanding or turning.

Seems to work.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JSTUART; 02/23/24.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not a fan of dry lube and IMO it can cause run out issues as its simply not an effective lube. A much better option is to mix the Lee paste lube to a watery consistency with ISO alcohol and then applied with a Qtip. The ISO alcohol will flash off and leave a very thin layer of effective lube that wont stick powder kernals or contaminate your powder. It also brushes out easily or comes off in the tumbler (its also water soluble).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks guys!!

Life is to short eat desert first
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BBouncer5150
I'm not a fan of dry lube and IMO it can cause run out issues as its simply not an effective lube. A much better option is to mix the Lee paste lube to a watery consistency with ISO alcohol and then applied with a Qtip. The ISO alcohol will flash off and leave a very thin layer of effective lube that wont stick powder kernals or contaminate your powder. It also brushes out easily or comes off in the tumbler (it’s also water soluble).
I like this. Any reason why Imperial SW on a Q-tip wouldn’t work?

Last edited by BigGnTn; 02/25/24.
R
R
I use bushing dies with no expansion mandrel so no interior neck lube for sizing.

I use a 50-50 mixture of white mica and moly for bullet seating of match rounds a little less than neck deep in a shot glass. Dip the neck in mixture and click around shot glass rim to remove excess. Makes bullet seating smooth and consistent on K&M scale.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Graphite and motor mica 50/50 for cast bullets only.

Last edited by Bugger; 02/25/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BigGnTn
Originally Posted by BBouncer5150
I'm not a fan of dry lube and IMO it can cause run out issues as its simply not an effective lube. A much better option is to mix the Lee paste lube to a watery consistency with ISO alcohol and then applied with a Qtip. The ISO alcohol will flash off and leave a very thin layer of effective lube that wont stick powder kernals or contaminate your powder. It also brushes out easily or comes off in the tumbler (it’s also water soluble).
I like this. Any reason why Imperial SW on a Q-tip wouldn’t work?

I was waiting for some one like this, and Hey, he's a southern boy out of Cleveland TN! My old man was out of Chattanooga, but this fits into what is common sense to me.

For inside neck lube. I do a small squirt of WD40 style lube, but its synthetic Amzoil spray lube. On a Q tip. Q Tips are awfully cheap per box of 500 or so and lasts a long time. In 22 caliber necks, I'll run a bore brush down the neck first to clean out any crud left over from the previous shot. Then a swirl with the Q tip with a little spray lube on it. 6mm and above, I don't need to clean the necks.

Since I pretty much anneal each reload anymore, finding it extends brass life dramatically. But annealing also burns out any lube that is left inside the necks.

If you neck size necks tho with a Lee Collet die or a Hornady Universal Neck Die, ( which are $20 and caliber specific ), in the 22 caliber especially, the neck is tight, so again a Swipe with the Q Tip.. It makes seating the bullet so much easier also.

Must be from growing up around southern folk from Tennessee and VA/ WVA. As I call it today, you don't need a $10 solution to a 2 cent problem. Use your noggin, instead of always buying a solution with your wallet.

as Hank Junior sang " Country Boys Can Survive" I was taught by country boys to THINK, before reacting.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bigtn

In my experience, even a light coat of Imperial will stick powder kernals in the neck. The Lee lube won't once it's dried.

Last edited by BBouncer5150; 02/25/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,005 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.