Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I have a kimber 82 in 22 hornet. Former owner had a stuck case. Proceeded to gouge it out with tool steel picks. The chamber has large scratches and deep cuts. It’s in pretty good shape and worth saving if the chamber can be fixed. I’m at a loss so looking for advice.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Would rechambering to 22 K-Hornet clean up the scratches?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take it to a gunsmith and see if he recommends polishing the chamber and whether he can do it without damaging the chamber. Usually, just a good polish with very fine sandpaper like 1000/2000 grit wet/dry paper and a polish will take care of scratches unless they are really deep.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If the case separated and the back came out, odds are the damaged area is far enough above the rim that a rechamber to K Hornet will remove it, depending on depth of gouges of course. If he gouged it up near the rim maybe not. It can always be set back and rechambered. Or rechambered to something else, provided it would work in the magazine. 256 Win Mag maybe?

LOL
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Without looking at it for a better idea, I can tell you what I'd try if it were mine: I'd drill and tap a (preferably fired) Hornet case through the primer pocket as large as possible, maybe 10-32, and screw it down on the end of a 2" long or so 10-32 SHCS (machine screw) on which I'd already run a 10-32 nut down a half inch or so and had put an appropriate washer over the nut. (The washer being between the nut and the base of the Hornet case.)

When I had the nut and washer up tight against the Hornet case, so it wouldn't turn on the machine screw (using the nut as a lock nut), I'd charge the hornet case with some lapping compound of about 600 grit. I'd run my case/lap thus charged, into the chamber and, using a t-handle hex wrench in the socket cap of the machine screw, lap the chamber until it started feeling smooth, just enough to take down whatever burrs had been raised. I wouldn't try to remove any deep scratches, just clean up the burrs.

Then I'd flush out the chamber and barrel thoroughly and try it. I'd want to have a sturdy, one piece cleaning rod or 3/16 length of steel or brass rod on hand in case it stuck another case. If it works okay, rock on... or try a little more polishing. Play it by ear. That's what I think I'd try.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by cra1948
Without looking at it for a better idea, I can tell you what I'd try if it were mine: I'd drill and tap a (preferably fired) Hornet case through the primer pocket as large as possible, maybe 10-32, and screw it down on the end of a 2" long or so 10-32 SHCS (machine screw) on which I'd already run a 10-32 nut down a half inch or so and had put an appropriate washer over the nut. (The washer being between the nut and the base of the Hornet case.)

When I had the nut and washer up tight against the Hornet case, so it wouldn't turn on the machine screw (using the nut as a lock nut), I'd charge the hornet case with some lapping compound of about 600 grit. I'd run my case/lap thus charged, into the chamber and, using a t-handle hex wrench in the socket cap of the machine screw, lap the chamber until it started feeling smooth, just enough to take down whatever burrs had been raised. I wouldn't try to remove any deep scratches, just clean up the burrs.

Then I'd flush out the chamber and barrel thoroughly and try it. I'd want to have a sturdy, one piece cleaning rod or 3/16 length of steel or brass rod on hand in case it stuck another case. If it works okay, rock on... or try a little more polishing. Play it by ear. That's what I think I'd try.
I would do the same. If the case still sticks, rechamber to K.

S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Ended up moving the gun. Apparently they are far more valuable than anticipated. Will be rechambered for a 218 bee single shot from what I understand.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (257Bob, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,661
Posts18,493,598
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.