Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I've been pretty happy with my Leupold 1000i TBR rangefinder for quite some time but it is finally showing signs of dieing . The readout screen is getting sketchy and only seems to work when it is in the mood . So, I'm in the market for another range finder and I'm wondering what the experienced fire members have seen in the present wares available.

I've looked at some Amazon listings just to get a feel for what is available and it is a bit overwhelming. My existing Leupold has worked fine for what I need. Something with that capability or just slightly more would be fine. The Leupold TBR/W 1400i would work fine for my purposes, as would the Sig Sauer unit in about the same price range, but I don't want to carry something that may become a paperweight unexpectedly the first couple hunts I need it.

What are your experiences with the new crop of Range finders?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I finally bought a Leica 10 years ago. I lost a piece off it crawling after an antelope. Sent it in to get the piece replaced and checked over. They sent me a new one. I'll never own anything else.

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’m also in the same boat . I have an older Leupold that works when it’s in the mood . I’ve read not so good things about Sig’s warranty. From what I read the warranty starts the date of manufacture instead of the date it was sold . I don’t know if this is true but if you are looking at Sig you may want to look into it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have the same Leupold 1000TBR, and it also (like many, MANY other folks’ on the internet), has a display that has faded to the point of uselessness.

Is this an issue that is expected with ALL red OLED displays, or just Leupold’s?? Nothing lasts forever, but a real disappointment…

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm in the Sig camp.

Using both Leupold and Sigs out to 1500 yards, the Sigs were faster and more consistent on multiple range repeats on the same target or terrain feature.

I have one Leupold that hasn't faded, and multiple Sigs that are going strong.

Sig had a rock in the 1700-1800 yard line-up, can't remember the exact model - but it consistently wouldn't range to it's max limit, more like 1200 yards.

Sig 2200 and up - have been great, and easy to use.

YMMV

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sig, yeah, no.

IF you buy a Sig LRF you best take a look at the serial number of the unit before you buy it, and call Sig to find out the date of manufacture.

They give a 5 year warranty on their electro-optics, BUT they start the clock the day it was made.

I got a great deal on a Sig from a LGS and 4 years into it, it went tips up. Called Sig to get instructions for a warranty claim. The rep asked for the serial number and said sorry that warranty has expired. I said no I've only had it 4 years there's a year left. That's when she told me when they start the clock. So, my LRF sat in a warehouse for a 14 months burning off warranty time before I even got it.

No more Sig products for me after that.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Well, I've been pretty happy with my Leupold 1000i TBR rangefinder for quite some time but it is finally showing signs of dieing . The readout screen is getting sketchy and only seems to work when it is in the mood . So, I'm in the market for another range finder and I'm wondering what the experienced fire members have seen in the present wares available.

I've looked at some Amazon listings just to get a feel for what is available and it is a bit overwhelming. My existing Leupold has worked fine for what I need. Something with that capability or just slightly more would be fine. The Leupold TBR/W 1400i would work fine for my purposes, as would the Sig Sauer unit in about the same price range, but I don't want to carry something that may become a paperweight unexpectedly the first couple hunts I need it.

What are your experiences with the new crop of Range finders?

Bob

For me, Leica is the best bang for the buck.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wait for Doug at Cameraland to have some demos/open box in Leicas. I have had two Leicas. They are superb.

Whenever I looks through another brand, usually a friends, I’m glad I have Leica. I don’t need lots of features, just fast readings, simple controls and good resolution. You can get all the bells and whistles from Leica and others, but I love my simple and precise Leica. Current one is a CRF 1600.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had one of the early Leica RF before my Leupold and I had nothing but problems with it . However, the glass in it was superb and at 7x I would sometimes use it as a monocular to check out game while rangefinding instead of swapping between the RF and binos...

I've been pretty happy with the Leupold and wouldn't mind buying another, but it seems these days you have to check to see if QC has gone in the toilet before plunking down your cash. I've heard the rumblings before about the Sig units and I'm a bit nervous about going that direction because of it. In fact, several people in our hunting group have the Vortex units and they have been very happy with them. I've checked them out and I can't really say anything negative about them to be honest. I'm not much of a Vortex fan to be honest, but that is a personal thing... I've got a little time but it would be nice to get one before an upcoming coyote and sage rat hunting trip .

Thanks for the input guys- keep it coming

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a look at:

Leica CRF-R @ $399.99
Ideal entry-level model with output of linear and EHR from 10 m to 1,100 m / 1,200 yds
High-precision rangefinding up to 1,800 m / 2,000 yds
Outstanding, easy-to-read LED display with automatic brightness control
Brilliant, clear image, high level of detail – even at twilight

Athlon Midas 1 Mile Rangefinder for $179.99
Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
Waterproof to protect the product in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
Adjusts for precise focus on display
Angle Compensation Mode - Provides true horizontal distance to target
Line of Sight Mode - Provides actual line of sight range
Scan Mode - Allows you to get quick readings on different objects or tracking a moving target
Dual Units of Measurement of Distance (Y/M) - Ranges in yards or meters
Effective Ranging Distance - 5-1700 yards

Element Helix 1500 for $399.99
Element Ballistics Chip
Bluetooth Connectivity
Dual-Color TOLED Display
1500m range
Featherweight Design
6x Magnification
Specifications:
MAGNIFICATION: 6x
RANGING DISTANCE: 5-1500m
CONNECTIVITY: Bluetooth
FIELD OF VIEW: 7 Degrees
BATTERY: CR2
LENGTH: 100mm (3.94”)
WEIGHT: 150g (5.29oz)
WEATHER RESISTANT: Yes
BALLISTIC CHIP: Yes
DISPLAY TYPE: T-OLED

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had one of the early Leica RF before my Leupold and I had nothing but problems with it . However, the glass in it was superb and at 7x I would sometimes use it as a monocular to check out game while rangefinding instead of swapping between the RF and binos...

I've been pretty happy with the Leupold and wouldn't mind buying another, but it seems these days you have to check to see if QC has gone in the toilet before plunking down your cash. I've heard the rumblings before about the Sig units and I'm a bit nervous about going that direction because of it. In fact, several people in our hunting group have the Vortex units and they have been very happy with them. I've checked them out and I can't really say anything negative about them to be honest. I'm not much of a Vortex fan to be honest, but that is a personal thing... I've got a little time but it would be nice to get one before an upcoming coyote and sage rat hunting trip .

To me it sounds like you are set on buying Leupold. I realize you only live 30 miles away from there. However, I don't trust many things that say Leupold on it. Also, you don't say what your price point is. For your intended purpose (yotes and sage rats), you don't need a high dollar LRF. My dang Nikon 1000 that I've had for 10 years would work well enough for that. Sometimes when I go yote hunting, I just grab that one. However, it struggles to range stuff even at 700 yards now. I'll tell you, the glass and ranging abilities of the Leica are phenomenal compared to other LRF's I've looked through. My buddy only uses Vortex, like some of your buddies do, mainly because of their warranty. That's always an option as well, but if it were me, I'd throw a little more money at it, and get an excellent range finder. I realize you probably don't want to pay $600.00 for a CRF 2400 R, there is a less expensive model: The CRF R. It ranges out to 2,000 yards. it also has the angle comp feature as well. That model sells for around $400.00. Maybe something you might want to talk to Doug about. Good luck with your decision!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

To me it sounds like you are set on buying Leupold. I realize you only live 30 miles away from there. However, I don't trust many things that say Leupold on it. Also, you don't say what your price point is. For your intended purpose (yotes and sage rats), you don't need a high dollar LRF. My dang Nikon 1000 that I've had for 10 years would work well enough for that. Sometimes when I go yote hunting, I just grab that one. However, it struggles to range stuff even at 700 yards now. I'll tell you, the glass and ranging abilities of the Leica are phenomenal compared to other LRF's I've looked through. My buddy only uses Vortex, like some of your buddies do, mainly because of their warranty. That's always an option as well, but if it were me, I'd throw a little more money at it, and get an excellent range finder. I realize you probably don't want to pay $600.00 for a CRF 2400 R, there is a less expensive model: The CRF R. It ranges out to 2,000 yards. it also has the angle comp feature as well. That model sells for around $400.00. Maybe something you might want to talk to Doug about. Good luck with your decision!!

Well, it seems the electronics in range finders has improved significantly since I bought my Leupold quite some time ago. I actually use my rangefinder for everything from sage rats with the .22 to elk out to 1K distances, so I need something that will range fairly reliably to around 800 yards at least, more would be better. Trying to keep the cost as reasonable as possible as I'm not sure at 71 how many more years I will be hunting, but hoping for quite a while .... wink The Leupold TBR1400 and 1600 are attractive mostly because they are in the $200 price range I'd like to keep it at if possible, but reliability is more important than price - which is why I'm asking for info here.

Doug, as usual, has some solid suggestions above so I will be checking those out and would prefer to deal with him over just about anyone if I can find what I'm looking for...

Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Well, it seems the electronics in range finders has improved significantly since I bought my Leupold quite some time ago. I actually use my rangefinder for everything from sage rats with the .22 to elk out to 1K distances, so I need something that will range fairly reliably to around 800 yards at least, more would be better. Trying to keep the cost as reasonable as possible as I'm not sure at 71 how many more years I will be hunting, but hoping for quite a while .... wink The Leupold TBR1400 and 1600 are attractive mostly because they are in the $200 price range I'd like to keep it at if possible, but reliability is more important than price - which is why I'm asking for info here.

Doug, as usual, has some solid suggestions above so I will be checking those out and would prefer to deal with him over just about anyone if I can find what I'm looking for...

Bob

I see. At that price range, the Leupold would be tempting. I can see your point there. Doug is a good guy, he will steer you in the right direction. Good luck with it buddy!!!

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've used RF's from several different brands including Leica, Leupold, Swaro, Sig, and Vortex. I've had trouble with all of them, mainly losiing their display or RF being jacked up except for the Vortex as I've only had the Fury AB's for about a year and a half. IMHO, since they're all Chinese electronics (no matter the brand), I'd get the one with the best warranty as you'll likely need it at some point. If you don't consider yourself lucky.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've experienced the Sig warranty issue. The warranty is the reason I won't buy another. I do think they were on the forefront of having some of the best/capable consumer rangefinders. Today, the market is flooded. I hear good things about the Maven RF.1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've used RF's from several different brands including Leica, Leupold, Swaro, Sig, and Vortex. I've had trouble with all of them, mainly losiing their display or RF being jacked up except for the Vortex as I've only had the Fury AB's for about a year and a half. IMHO, since they're all Chinese electronics (no matter the brand), I'd get the one with the best warranty as you'll likely need it at some point. If you don't consider yourself lucky.
Kinda how I'm leaning as I'm in the market myself. And unless it's changed, Vortex has the best warranty.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at the units I've checked so far it is hard to find what capabilities each has, it seems. I did find that the Leupold 1400i TBR/W can be uploaded with your cartridge ballistics and will read out actual distance, True Horizontal Distance, and will also read out drop adjustments in mil or moa as well as adjustments for wind. The Element Helix seems to do all this and also accounts for spin drift for those very long shots... a lot of interesting new technology for an old fart like me to absorb, but very useful capability IMO. Still trying to decide but I think I'm going to be talking to Doug about the Leupold next week and get it on the way so I have time to play with it before hunting seasons come along.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The only one I have ever had is a Nikon that was a refurbished model. Had it at least 10 years. The new models read much further. I have marked deer at just over 500 yards and probably wouldn't shoot that far. But it was 150 bucks and still works.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by scottf270
I finally bought a Leica 10 years ago. I lost a piece off it crawling after an antelope. Sent it in to get the piece replaced and checked over. They sent me a new one. I'll never own anything else.

I’m in the same boat. Bought the Leica CRF 1000R rangefinder on sale from Doug. After about 6 years my new pup chewed the eyepiece- sent it to Leica thinking I’d get a repair bill. Got a new 1600 instead - no charge.

I check my Leica against my buddies new Sigs & Vortex & Leupold that are 8 years newer - they don’t look as clear or read any faster yet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just ordered that Midas 1 Mile from Doug, and a pair of Midas G2 binos.

We will see.....

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (338rcm, 204guy, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 23 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,622
Posts18,474,036
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.