-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lost my uncle there with 1/26 Marines. God bless your Dad and all who served there.

Semper Fi

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Force Recon Marine, I knew got bayonet twice in Khe Sanh, Survived but now passed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I worked with Force Recon quite a bit in the A Shau Valley quite a bit late ā€˜69-ā€˜71. Perfect maniacs they were.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Cold Chisel had a hit in Australia of the same name.
Big act there, didn't break in the US

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was a kid, I spent way too much time and money at a place called Comic Kingdom in Detroit. It was owned by a man named Bob Hellems; a Marine RTO that spent the entire 77 days at Khe Sanh calling in air strikes and artillery. He was a little gruff, but he loved us kids and gave us a safe place to hang out.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some might call it temporary insanity, as Dan put it. That's apt. Doing some things while under fire isn't courage - you don't have time for courage. It's most often just the only thing you can do at this moment.

Courage is for calmer times. Knowing you are going to get your ass shot at on this flight, but strapping in anyway.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
My old man was in Khe Sanh during the bombing campaign. 1st lieutenant. He and I fought to the end, but he was mostly right. Died nine years ago this week. God bless him and his fight to the end. I miss him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm needing some clarification on this. Note that I am not saying that your father was not at Khe Sanh. Not saying that at all. I have no way of knowing either way. You stated that his rank was that of 1st lieutenant, but the photo you posted was clearly that of a naval officer. Someone suggested that it may have been a Naval Academy uniform, but the hat insignia is clearly that of a U.S. Navy officer and not of a Naval Academy midshipman. The navy does not have a rank of 1st lieutenant. They do have a lieutenant, junior grade (often referred to as a "j.g.") O-2, which is equivalent to a USMC or Army or USAF 1st lieutenant O-2, and a rank of lieutenant which is equivalent to a USMC, Army, or USAF captain O-3. Naval officer rank can be a bit confusing to those not well versed in it. On that particular naval officer uniform coat, the rank insignia is only indicated by sleeve stripes which are unseen in the photo. Honors to your father for his service.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
My old man was in Khe Sanh during the bombing campaign. 1st lieutenant. He and I fought to the end, but he was mostly right. Died nine years ago this week. God bless him and his fight to the end. I miss him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm needing some clarification on this. Note that I am not saying that your father was not at Khe Sanh. Not saying that at all. I have no way of knowing either way. You stated that his rank was that of 1st lieutenant, but the photo you posted was clearly that of a naval officer. Someone suggested that it may have been a Naval Academy uniform, but the hat insignia is clearly that of a U.S. Navy officer and not of a Naval Academy midshipman. The navy does not have a rank of 1st lieutenant. They do have a lieutenant, junior grade (often referred to as a "j.g.") O-2, which is equivalent to a USMC or Army or USAF 1st lieutenant O-2, and a rank of lieutenant which is equivalent to a USMC, Army, or USAF captain O-3. Naval officer rank can be a bit confusing to those not well versed in it. On that particular naval officer uniform coat, the rank insignia is only indicated by sleeve stripes which are unseen in the photo. Honors to your father for his service.

The middle Service Ribbon, the Globe & Anchor with 2 stars? I'm guessing the stars indicate tours? Have never seen this configuration. Somebody enlighten me.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One of my childhood friends passed away a few weeks ago, pancreatic cancer. He was four years older than me. He was at Khe Sahn during the siege. Marine infantryman 67-70, Purple Heart at Khe Sahn. One of the best guys Iā€™d ever known. Very humble. His dad (who worked with my Dad) always took time to show me the photos and letters he sent home. I asked him if anyone ever used his first name (Charlie) in VN, he laughed and said no way!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would listen for hours to my good friend and shortstop, Chuck Nixon, tell me of his time on that plateau! He was with the 4th ID. Gives me chills recalling what they all encountered!

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.