-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 88 is never not my first pitch,when RPM/COAL allow. That especially in 223. Hint.

Lever’ is never not my first pitch to fuel same. Hint.

The 88 is my FAVORITE in several dozen,platforms(Custom all),though only in 223,223AI,224 Grendel,22 BR,22-250,22-250 AI and Speedmire. Hint.

The 88 offers a fhuqking sensational blend of Accuracy,Precision and Terminal Effects. Hint………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you have a load that works, go with it. BTDT...The biggest problem you will have is you. Wind and mirage. A good Load will not beat either, if you don`t do your job. If you don`t already have a good spotting scope, get one. You can see both wind and mirage through the scope, but the spotting scope is better. I have a 20x..plenty.
Shooting 4 will give you some idea what the wind will do, but 8-9-1k is a different animal. I`ve seen wind coming from two different directions at once, with range wind flags. Find something at least 600, and practice.
Hope for a dark day with consistant light wind.

My experience, FWIW..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm all ears and can't wait to see some 400 and 600 yard targets, if you so kindly want to post them. That is what the OP is asking about, in this thread. Enlighten us both. 3 shot groups will work, if you want to post them.

BSA, I did look up my 600 yard 2.51" 5 shot group picture, but I already posted that last June at your request and if you are like me you hate it when the same pictures are re-posted over and over again. wink

So instead I went out to my clubs 600 yard practice this morning to shoot up my remaining Palma ammo from last weeks Southwest Nationals match.

The obligatory equipment shots

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First MTM box had 2 rounds so I decided to make my wind call, shoot, break position and stand up, rebuild position, make wind call and shoot. A good practice drill for prone shooting. Not perfect, but happy enough with this pair.

[Linked Image]

Next box had 5 cartridges. Shot straight through with 3 wind corrections IIRC. Group opened up some to 5 inches

[Linked Image]

Last box had the most... but the wind had really picked up and corrections were in a 2.75 minute spread. Got behind and ping ponged the last two. Did have a decent vertical of a little over 4.2" as you can see. To the O.P., when the wind is sporty, you will still get good load feedback by looking at the vertical dispersion in my opinion.

[Linked Image]

Have you had any luck locating those 1000 yard targets you promised to post last June?

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
😂

Originally Posted by MikeS
BSA, I did look up my 600 yard 2.51" 5 shot group picture, but I already posted that last June at your request and if you are like me you hate it when the same pictures are re-posted over and over again. wink

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good shooten...I never did shoot with all that electronic stuff. And proves a point...the "best" load you develope will not go center target if you miss condition calls.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm all ears and can't wait to see some 400 and 600 yard targets, if you so kindly want to post them. That is what the OP is asking about, in this thread. Enlighten us both. 3 shot groups will work, if you want to post them.

So instead I went out to my clubs 600 yard practice this morning to shoot up my remaining Palma ammo from last weeks Southwest Nationals match.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First MTM box had 2 rounds so I decided to make my wind call, shoot, break position and stand up, rebuild position, make wind call and shoot. A good practice drill for prone shooting. Not perfect, but happy enough with this pair.

[Linked Image]

Next box had 5 cartridges. Shot straight through with 3 wind corrections IIRC. Group opened up some to 5 inches

[Linked Image]

Last box had the most... but the wind had really picked up and corrections were in a 2.75 minute spread. Got behind and ping ponged the last two. Did have a decent vertical of a little over 4.2" as you can see. To the O.P., when the wind is sporty, you will still get good load feedback by looking at the vertical dispersion in my opinion.

[Linked Image]

Have you had any luck locating those 1000 yard targets you promised to post last June?

Is this electronic target tablet the club/facilities or yours or? Can you spill the beans on it?

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That’s cool stuff Mike. Thanks for posting. Shooting like that with irons is enviable!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Good shooten...I never did shoot with all that electronic stuff. And proves a point...the "best" load you develope will not go center target if you miss condition calls.

Thanks, these days I get more enjoyment out of "tuning" myself as a shooter than the loads or rifle, although I can handle that well enough smile. You are absolutely right about the condition calls!

Regarding the electronics, my E Target was a great investment that allows for early morning practice during our Phoenix summers without too much discomfort. A pretty cool electronic trainer that I have just started using was developed by my pair fire training partner who is a software designer in addition to being a shooting member of the US Palma team. With $75 worth of laser, webcam and USB cable your laptop or tablet becomes a dryfire trainer similar to the expensive SCATT systems. Really cool to see your aiming trace throughout the entire shot execution process.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

At the 22' distance I use this set up the scaled 1000yard black is .30 inch diameter.

Last edited by MikeS; 02/23/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks beretzs. The human eye is great at lining up concentric circles, which is how the match sights work. Its just getting over the intimidation factor when you start out. cool

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For sure Mike. I remember shooting the M16A2 at at 500 meters the first time. I was amazed how easy it actually was to make pretty fair groups with a tight sling and old green tip ammo.

I’d not shot big rifles any further than that. Definitely an eye opener. Made me appreciate aperture sights. Went to OIF I with them and never had a problem engaging with them either.

Keep the pics coming. It’s great to see folks still sling up and shoot rifles on the deck and make itty bitty groups.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
Is this electronic target tablet the club/facilities or yours or? Can you spill the beans on it?

This one I own. It's a Silver Mountain Solo purchased 4 or 5 years ago. There is another good one called Shotmarker, which is more available and likely more popular. One of our local clubs has 10 of them and another was waiting for the Solo model to become available but may end up buying the Shotmarkers. Here is a 500 yard club match group I fired on a Shotmarker.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MikeS; 02/23/24.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal

This one I own. It's a Silver Mountain Solo purchased 4 or 5 years ago. There is another good one called Shotmarker, which is more available and likely more popular. One of our local clubs has 10 of them and another was waiting for the Solo model to become available but may end up buying the Shotmarkers. Here is a 500 yard club match group I fired on a Shotmarker.

[Linked Image]

Super cool. Thanks for the tip on ShotMarker - y'all make a guy spend money.

Me

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (222Sako, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 3040Krag, 41 invisible), 1,721 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.