Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19241921 02/23/24
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Are they all about the same quality or does one or two stand above the rest?
Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use Outdoor Research gaiters myself. Had them for 10 years.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Second on the Outdoor Research gaiters. Mine are more like 20 years old. IIRC purchased them from REI.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am not a big gaiter fan for the most part…I think they’re overrated except for in deep snow. They’re generally too hot for me and are more trouble than they’re worth in anything other than deep snow as far as I am concerned.

They are absolutely NOT all the same, quality wise. Of the synthetics, I suspect the material is generally all OK as far as repelling water but the longevity, how well they hold up being ripped apart by brush, heat from 4 wheeler motors, crampon spikes, stitching quality, their securing system (velcro, zippers, buttons, etc.) have all varied widely. The Kahtoola have been especially poor quality.

What do you plan to use them for? Deep snow? Dry land with thorny brush? Walking through wet brush?

For what it is worth, I am pretty much done with synthetic gaiters. I only have a few brands left at all and they’re mainly wool, after trying many. Sleeping Indian (awesome), Waldkauz (jury is still out) and Swazi (non wool, but are doing OK).

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Tried them and the benefit wasn't worth the time to put them on. Your milage may vary.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huge differences in quality and design. I am a gaiter fan, wear them for most outdoor off trail activity year round: hunting in wet or snow, (I live in rain forest), picking berries, the works.

Gaiters come from ankle high to knee high. How tall do you want? Short ones can keep pebbles and scree debris out of the tops of low top boots.

Nylon gaiters are noisy for walking through brush. I prefer soft finish ones for hunting and am on my second or third pair of Kenetrek. I prefer to wear mine inside of pant legs in rain and wet and often in snow. Rain wets the cloth of pants and drains down inside the gaiter, soaking boots and socks if the pant leg is inside the gaiter. Plus wearing gaiters inside of soft finish hunting pants keeps them quieter in brush. They add some warmth in cold temps, especially when sitting on a critter calling stand.

Any design but velcro closure up the front are hard for me to get on. Gaiters with a zipper in the back are awful. Outdoor Research from REI are very good.

I’ve been known to pull off gaiters and sit on them on a wet log, lay them out and stand on them while changing clothes or boots in snow or wet, lay one over a cold spot in a sleeping bag on a cold night, etc.

Last edited by Okanagan; 02/23/24.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
What do you plan to use them for? Deep snow? Dry land with thorny brush? Walking through wet brush?

Yeah mostly brush, wet or dry.
And thanks for all the replies so far.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use ankle gaiters with approach shoes (trail sneakers) to keep out Ticks (in season) and general crap outside of tick season. Very happy with the Kuiu. But like everything of the brand it is not cheap.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big gaiter fan here. In cold weather, I find they really help keep my legs warm and dry. I have a theory that warm air is generated by my feet and the act of walking pumps that air from my boots up my legs when sealed in by the gaiters. In warmer weather I treat them with permanone and catch ticks before they crawl up my legs. My favorites are made by Otte Gear. (Tip: they tend to run small. Get a larger size than you think you need.)

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have two pair of gaiters. Both Kenetreks one is quieter made of softer micro fleece material and the other is nylon. Both have their waterproof material built in. These have worked out for me when others proved too tight around the calf. They stay where they are supposed to and are comfortable for me. I’m not in rocky terrain I cant attest to how well they hold up in the rock.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I really like them for snow/wet and when spending a lot of time in scree. I’ve spent a bunch of time with OR Croc and the Kuiu Yukon, and prefer the Yukon.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I have two pair of gaiters. Both Kenetreks one is quieter made of softer micro fleece material and the other is nylon. Both have their waterproof material built in. These have worked out for me when others proved too tight around the calf. They stay where they are supposed to and are comfortable for me. I’m not in rocky terrain I cant attest to how well they hold up in the rock.

I've been using Kenetrek for 15 years or more. They work great. Wouldn't hunt without them now..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m middle of the road on gaiters - I don’t like the hassle of putting them on but they are great in soaked brush or 4” of snow or more. Dry warm lower legs & no snow in my boots is fine by me. I had OR & now Kuiu Yukons I like a little more. I’ve hiked several miles in them & feel like they more than pay off in wet cold conditions keeping your pants dry & calves warm.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

I've been using Kenetrek for 15 years or more. They work great. Wouldn't hunt without them now..
I guess I been using these for 6 years or so.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I use them almost always if the underbrush is wet, morning dew etc. One thing I’ve noticed with using gaitors is my expensive hunting pants last much longer. Couple hundred miles walking through sage and thickets will eat up some pants.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I really like them for snow/wet and when spending a lot of time in scree. I’ve spent a bunch of time with OR Croc and the Kuiu Yukon, and prefer the Yukon.

Are they more quiet? Just wondering what you like more about them. I am always down for a new piece of kit. I figured I'd try other gaiters once I wore out the OR's, but since they won't seem to wear out, maybe I'll just try another pair anyhow grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I use them almost always if the underbrush is wet, morning dew etc. One thing I’ve noticed with using gaitors is my expensive hunting pants last much longer. Couple hundred miles walking through sage and thickets will eat up some pants.
Boots take less damage in the scree, too. Especially when side-hilling.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Are they more quiet? Just wondering what you like more about them. I am always down for a new piece of kit. I figured I'd try other gaiters once I wore out the OR's, but since they won't seem to wear out, maybe I'll just try another pair anyhow grin
Yup, they are quieter, more durable in some ways, a bit more stretchy, and I prefer the snap closure on the toe compared to the little Velcro flap on the OR.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great intel. Thank you.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not a big fan of them in most cases either. Had a set of Kenetreks come apart pretty quick. Have been using Peax the past year or 2. Liking them so far in my limited use.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am not a big gaiter fan for the most part…I think they’re overrated except for in deep snow. They’re generally too hot for me and are more trouble than they’re worth in anything other than deep snow as far as I am concerned.

They are absolutely NOT all the same, quality wise. Of the synthetics, I suspect the material is generally all OK as far as repelling water but the longevity, how well they hold up being ripped apart by brush, heat from 4 wheeler motors, crampon spikes, stitching quality, their securing system (velcro, zippers, buttons, etc.) have all varied widely. The Kahtoola have been especially poor quality.

For what it is worth, I am pretty much done with synthetic gaiters. I only have a few brands left at all and they’re mainly wool, after trying many. Sleeping Indian (awesome), Waldkauz (jury is still out) and Swazi (non wool, but are doing OK).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 55 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.