Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok,,,,,, well, FWIW,,,,, a .35 Whelen Chambering is not anything Very Rare, or Special,,,,, in fact, it's pretty common in my part of the World,,,,, and just about any .30-06 Rifle can be Re-Chambered and Re-Bored for the .35 Whelen Cartridge,,,,, see attached.... grin

Not sure how this is germane to the discussion of a very specific rifle; but I’ll agree the chambering isn’t rare up here - but the combination of this rifle (KS) and chambering is.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I had a KS in .375H&H but sold it. If it was a .35 Whelen I’d still own it. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Ok,,,,,, well, FWIW,,,,, a .35 Whelen Chambering is not anything Very Rare, or Special,,,,, in fact, it's pretty common in my part of the World,,,,, and just about any .30-06 Rifle can be Re-Chambered and Re-Bored for the .35 Whelen Cartridge,,,,, see attached.... grin

Not sure how this is germane to the discussion of a very specific rifle; but I’ll agree the chambering isn’t rare up here - but the combination of this rifle (KS) and chambering is.

Yea, Yea Yea,,,,,,,, I've owned a Couple over the yrs,,,,,, and like I said, way OVER-RATED, for what you get,,,,, I'm still Packin my 1985 M700 .30-06 Mtn. Rifle, and at the time, mid-90's I was having a work-over done on that Rifle, and I almost went with the .35 Whelen, but the Bbl. couldn't really Handel it, as it was discussed with my Gun Smith at the time,,,,, and again to my Post, see attached, this is what I was eluding to... I'm not the only one who thinks this way,,,,,,, and why do think they RCS quit making them in 2008..... grin
But hey,,,,, what ever floats your boat..... cool

Attached Images
Screenshot 2021-02-14 151919.jpg (10.87 KB, 412 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

Yea, Yea Yea,,,,,,,, I've owned a Couple over the yrs,,,,,, and like I said, way OVER-RATED, for what you get,,,,, I'm still Packin my 1985 M700 .30-06 Mtn. Rifle, and at the time, mid-90's I was having a work-over done on that Rifle, and I almost went with the .35 Whelen, but the Bbl. couldn't really Handel it, as it was discussed with my Gun Smith at the time,,,,, and again to my Post, see attached, this is what I was eluding to... I'm not the only one who thinks this way,,,,,,, and why do think they RCS quit making them in 2008..... grin

Are you in any way related to Big Stchick? No one was speaking specifically to the chambering in any rifle other that the KS series rifle from Remington. I’m simply buying a rifle and was wondering about it’s commonality or not. I don’t need it. May rarely use it, but it’ll be nice to have. Thank you for your thoughts and opinion. Twice

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep your eyes out for some Power Pro 2000-MR powder. It's a game changer in the Whelen.
Congratulations on a great find in that rifle!
Rex

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by d500lnn
Originally Posted by SKane
I've seen one in action once. whistle
Still have it but it doesn't get a lot of use. It slings the 250's just fine with the less-than-desirable twist. The 225's buck a little less in the lightish rifle so I prefer that route. laugh
I believe it was only offered in blued/parkerized.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Scott, I’m buying this rifle but I’m sure it won’t see a lot of action. That is a great pic!

So I guess you don't hunt much, huh?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by d500lnn

Are you in any way related to Big Stchick? No one was speaking specifically to the chambering in any rifle other that the KS series rifle from Remington. I’m simply buying a rifle and was wondering about it’s commonality or not. I don’t need it. May rarely use it, but it’ll be nice to have. Thank you for your thoughts and opinion. Twice

Ok,,,, just saw your Post, and Yea,,,,,, he's my next-door neighbor..... I taught him every-thing he knows.......Hint grin Lj

Last edited by AK375DGR; 02/23/21. Reason: added info.....

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Old post, but for some reason it popped up on my workspace. Just a bit of added info for anyone searching this thread in the future - it turns out the 35 W ks was made in BOTH contours - standard ks as well as mag ks. FWIW to the 6 people in the world who care. laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Old post, but for some reason it popped up on my workspace. Just a bit of added info for anyone searching this thread in the future - it turns out the 35 W ks was made in BOTH contours - standard ks as well as mag ks. FWIW to the 6 people in the world who care. laugh

There's 6 people that care whistle

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good point.

Probably more like 4! smile

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That KS Whelen is the one to have if you have to be weighed down with a M700..

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by beretzs
That KS Whelen is the one to have if you have to be weighed down with a M700..

lol!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They did a run of cdl Whelens about 15 years ago or so. I had one and it was a great shooter. It had a 24" standard sporter on it which seemed pretty light for a 35 cal but it really shnitride.

I sold it and was going to have a well known local gun maker put a stainless 9.3 barrel on one of my fn commercial mauser actions for me and then he passed away before he got started on it.

I still want to do a 9.3x62 on an fn I just need to find an old school mauser guy to do it. I'd like to put a stainless 20" or so #4 on an fn and have open sites put on and then have the barreled action nitrided. I almost just had a ruger guide gun 30-06 recorded but was offered too much money for my guide gun. I figured that cash could go a good ways towards a reborn.

I have at least a half dozen jc Higgins 50s and 51s but their contours are too lite to rebore. Who's a good fire recommend smith to rebarrel an fn 98 to 9.3x62?

Bb

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It slings the 250's just fine with the less-than-desirable twist.

Yep. Might be different with bullets over 250, but they're not very common.

I had a skeleton-stock Ruger Model 77 in 35 Whelen. Same 1:16 twist as Remington. The faster you push 250s, the better they group. I got that one up to 2,550 fps with Hornady RNs, with groups around 1 MOA. Recoil is downright sharp above about 2,400 fps in a rifle that light.

See https://www.speer.com/reloading/rifle-data.html for thoroughly modern load data.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by okie john
It slings the 250's just fine with the less-than-desirable twist.

Yep. Might be different with bullets over 250, but they're not very common.

I had a skeleton-stock Ruger Model 77 in 35 Whelen. Same 1:16 twist as Remington. The faster you push 250s, the better they group. I got that one up to 2,550 fps with Hornady RNs, with groups around 1 MOA. Recoil is downright sharp above about 2,400 fps in a rifle that light.

See https://www.speer.com/reloading/rifle-data.html for thoroughly modern load data.

Okie John

Recoil with the 250s is also quite noticeable in the M700 Classic. For those who pan the 1 in 16" twist, my M700 Classic and Ruger M77 will run right around 1.0 to 1.5" with the old long gone Hornady 275 gr. round nose. I ran a three shot group from those two, along with my custom .35W which runs a 1 in 14" twist barrel that holds at one inch with the heavy bullet. I figure for what that bullet is good for, 1.5"or smaller is more than good enough. You don't need half inch groups at the ranges Grizzly and Kodiak bear are usually shot and taken so no harm done. I still have about 85 of those bullets left.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I too have never seen any KS, I used a Mod 700 Classic in 35 Whelan reamed to the Ackley, back in '96 for Plains Game using the original Barnes 250X at 2600. I took a copy of it (sold the first one)it back in 2002 but with the 200X going 2970. I took it to the UP in MI for a hog hunt and for grins used the Woodleigh 310 going 2400fps. As with any slow twist "speed is your friend". Now, some say, according to QuickLoad , my loads were around 72K. OK, I always used new fire formed cases for my hunting loads, never , ever had a problem. But alas, I got rid of it. I have good memories of it. The 1/16" twist never was an issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cattledog
I own a few KS. The best rifle ever produced by Remington.

W/o a doubt. & with the best factory triggers on any rifle I've ever owned. Most will just bughole.

My only wish was that they would have come in a 700 short action, not just in a Model 7.

MM

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've seen one in action once. whistle
Still have it but it doesn't get a lot of use. It slings the 250's just fine with the less-than-desirable twist. The 225's buck a little less in the lightish rifle so I prefer that route. laugh
I believe it was only offered in blued/parkerized.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don’t recall seeing this before…….NICE bear!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since we are talking ks, anyone ever see many 8mm rem mag in a ks?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 222ND
Since we are talking ks, anyone ever see many 8mm rem mag in a ks?
Have seen one for sale in a decade of looking. And know someone who has one; so they made at least two. smile

Very scarce chambering.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,278
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.