Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can remember stories of guys cutting holes in the floorboards and rigging up a timing light to check tire ware! Race fans were sometimes known to pull tires offa their own cars and loan them to their favorite drivers!
Stock Cars were still stock cars when I first started following NASCAR.
But in the mid 90s they got away from their long time fans in search of bigger money markets. I had pretty much give it up, but with Dodge coming back, I started watching again in 01.
But when Dale died, I pulled the plug.

I saw this on YouTube and it looked interesting. I thought some other older guys like me would like to see it as well.
But I have no plans of watching woke nascar unless they go Back to Wilkesborough and the other small tracks, and allowing Confederate Battle Flags and Gun Makers on the cars!
Image stealing a date from Darlington to give to Chicago!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not sure I can accept the, up to 1966 was Gen 1 & ya just went to a dealer, bought a car & raced it. Read too much to know that cars were super tweaked long before that. Add the fact that auto manufacturers were producing & furnishing parts and such to racers that were not available to the general public.

NASCAR might want to categorize it that way, & it's their vid. But the true motorhead knows better.

Thanks for the vid though, it did get the memories flowing.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent video. I'm not much of an auto racing fan but I found the video to be very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lost interest in NASCAR when the France family exterminated the 351 Cleveland after the Elliot brothers reign-of-terror in the 1980's

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think up until the early to mid 80s they were still useing stock factory metal around a tubular racing frame. Same way we built street stock cars for dirt.
The Chevy Lumina was front wheel drive, and I figure that’s the time when everyone went to making their own sheet metal. Tha car makers were still giving factory support to many teams at that time.
That’s why I was excited to see Dodge going racing again!
“What wins on Sunday sells on Monday!”
Fearsome Fords, Mighty Mopars and Chevy Super Sports are all
3 very good books about the heydays of both NASCAR and NHRA competition in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
Great books to have if you’re a car guy or a race fan!
Reon

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 02/23/24.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My favorite fascinations are the cheat factors, some really creative characters. I think Leonard Wood was the best of the era that I watched/followed.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I really wasn’t much for Chevy drivers, but I always loved Ernie Irvan. He was always headed for the front. You loved Davey Allison. When he was killed, we were in the garage. I was working on my Race Car, and the conversation turned to Ernie taking over the 28.
Gue got a little whizzed off when I told him “If Ernie slides his nuts across the door of that 28, you’ll forget all about Davey Allison”!

I hated to see him hang up his helmet, but I’m glad he’s doing good and spending time with his family.
Reon

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I gave up on NASCAR when they went with the "Car of Tomorrow" or some [bleep] like that.

I loved the era of the Superbird, the Dodge Charger Daytona, and the Ford Torino Talladega.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My favorite fascinations are the cheat factors, some really creative characters. I think Leonard Wood was the best of the era that I watched/followed.

Smokey Yunick, Junior Johnson, Harry Hide, and Tim Brewer are sure up there too.
Back when some people got sanctions and some got side eye.

Sean
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I can remember stories of guys cutting holes in the floorboards and rigging up a timing light to check tire ware! Race fans were sometimes known to pull tires offa their own cars and loan them to their favorite drivers!
Stock Cars were still stock cars when I first started following NASCAR.
But in the mid 90s they got away from their long time fans in search of bigger money markets. I had pretty much give it up, but with Dodge coming back, I started watching again in 01.
But when Dale died, I pulled the plug.

I saw this on YouTube and it looked interesting. I thought some other older guys like me would like to see it as well.
But I have no plans of watching woke nascar unless they go Back to Wilkesborough and the other small tracks, and allowing Confederate Battle Flags and Gun Makers on the cars!
Image stealing a date from Darlington to give to Chicago!
Reon

I agree with you 100%!!! My buddies and I went to the last race in Wilkesboro. That was our last race. Up to that point, we went to at least one race per year. We camped and went to the Saturday and Sunday races. We loved the sport and really felt like we were part of the event. They haven’t seen us since. It is sad that it is over. I have never seen an organization try so hard to destroy itself.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Was lucky enough to meet Chestet Honeycutt David Bonnett(Neil's son.) And learned a lot of that generation of drivers in no particular order it was held that Petty was always pushed by Pearson to be better. Met Ernie Elliott shortly after that 351 was outlawed and let's just say the France family weren't on his Christmas card list. Not being mechanical I'll never understand why a basic simple car that some Goober like me could work on will never be made in this country ever again.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ive been to 1 race…

Atlanta. Maybe 2005 or 06.

Watched the friday truck race, saturday busch race. Sunday sprint or nextel or whatever it was called got rained out.

Had to return to work. Think they raced monday.

Had a buddy that lived near the track.

Like down a dirt from it….. came in from behind the private racetrack airfield…

😁😁

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enjoyed the videos. I have met both Davey Allison and Ernie Irvan back in the day. Nice fellas, great race car drivers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I lost interest in NASCAR when the France family exterminated the 351 Cleveland after the Elliot brothers reign-of-terror in the 1980's

I really begin to follow NASCAR when Bill Elliott was racing. After he left, I quit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ate it up as a kid, especially the history of NASCAR. You couldn't pay me to watch a race today. Joe Weatherly was the champion in '62, and '63. He was the odds on favorite to win again in' 64 when his head hit the wall at Riverside.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joe and Curtis Turner were both pilots and they were really good friends.
Stories of the two of them landing on a Main Street of a town in order to go to the liquor store. They’d actually play “tag” with their planes!😀

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never been interested in NASCAR except for the history of it.

I was stationed in Eastern NC when Dale Sr. died in Daytona. I have never seen the public react in a way as that event. People in NC absolutely LOVED that guy. Grown men were crying everywhere. Lawn memorials were put up everywhere. Never seen anything like it or have since. The guy was almost God like.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm a big NASCAR fan. I record and watch, not only the Cup races, but Xfinity, Trucks, and ARCA as well. The racing is great and I love the engineering and technology that's involved with it. Like with most pro sports, you have to keep up with it. The people, teams, cars, points system, and rule book are completely different from what it was just 10 years ago. You guys that quit watching 10, 20, 30, or even 40 years ago, might want to revisit it. I think you're missing out on some pretty good entertainment. However, you'll need to reintroduce yourself to it.

As far as the cars go, they may have been true stock cars from the conception, but those guys modified them from the get go. Just because they were on a stock frame with stock sheet metal, doesn't mean that they were stock. The first guys to race cars were a lot of moonshiners and their cars were anything but stock. Technology changes with everything we touch in life, so goes NASCAR. It's not 1975 anymore and the rotary telephone is dead. Just like every sport, people get old and leave the sport and younger generations take their place. Everything changes and sometimes you need to view it with an open mind.

7mm and Wilkeshunter, good morning. Just to let you know, they renovated and reopened N. Wilkesboro a couple of years ago. Dale Jr., the Smith family, and a whole host of people with money got it back open to Modifieds and Late Models. Dale Jr. had it scanned for I-Racing. However, it wasn't suitable for NASCAR and they came in and upgraded it. The original idea was to repave it also, but after looking at the pavement, they decided not to for the first race. They held last years All Star Race there. It was a fun race to watch. They're going to repave it this year if they haven't already done so and the All Star race will be back this year.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Had 2 talladega spring and fall camper spots sxs for 15yrs or so. Leave on Fri, come back Mon. Loved everything about. Spent some great time there with my boys and in-laws. Haven’t been back in 10 or so years and won’t. Sport has been totally bastardized vs what it used to be. Still usually watch Daytona and Dega but they won’t get anymore of my $.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (7887mm08, 35, abbydog, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 426crown, 11 invisible), 16,876 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,214
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.