Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, if not for the Remington Model 8 and 14 guns and the cartridges they were chambered for it is possible the Stevens 425 might not have been born!

I could go for a Remington collector forum though I am down to just a few Model 8/81s, a 22 rimfire, and I think a Model of 1917 left. I long ago sold off my Model 10/29s, M32, "American" A-5s, 721/722s, 1903s, early 760s, a Mosin/Nagant and a slew of rimfires. I kick myself for not buying a couple 14s in 25 Remington but I was short on funds and those funds were needed for something else. Almost bought a transition Model 141 in 30 Rem but the buttstock was an aftermarket replacement and the seller wouldn't budge from original pricing.

GB1

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Some really interesting Posts here as realizing how much I miss an active banter on "subjects Remington". Forums are one of the last great interactive learning experiences re guns. Reiterating also my willing Rem Forum "follower/participant" status. Just not leadership presence here, Apologies if appropriate.
Good Luck!
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might be surprised at how little input will be needed on your part after the Forum is set up. Put two or more on a forum with common interests and they will post. Leaders will surface.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/19245185/remington-14-141

I think a Remington Collector forum would be a great idea, having about 40 of each I’d definitely have to figure out how to post pics.
Well there’s a surprise, it worked-sorta! The 3 Remingtons are all .25’s and a 1922 F .300.

Last edited by 450yukon; 02/24/24.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The only collectable Remintins i ever owned was a 14 1/2 in 44-40, and a Remintin Hepburn in 38-55. I do have a Harry Lawson custom Remintin model 700 in 458 winchester magnum, It needs to go away also !! smile smile

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Loggah
The only collectable Remintins i ever owned was a 14 1/2 in 44-40, and a Remintin Hepburn in 38-55. I do have a Harry Lawson custom Remintin model 700 in 458 winchester magnum, It needs to go away also !! smile smile

You need a trip to Alaska to justify that 458!

LOL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Loggah, did you ever shoot that 141/2? I had one years ago, and it would not feed my reloads, that worked fine in a 92 Winchester. I traded it to a dealer/gunsmith, who was going to take it to Tennessee for wild hogs. (They were not the pests they are now; I think these were Russian Boars.} He tried to make it work, but said the bore was so oversize, he could chamber a bullet that fit. It was a handy little rifle, but I didn't get hurt trading it off. The elderly gentleman I had bought it from had bought in the very late thirties or early forties from an ad in the Rifleman. An outfit in NYC, Hudson's, was liquidating a lot of discontinued rifles and revolvers.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The thing was pretty near mint,and i never shot it!! blushIn traded it for a early 1894 winchester short rifle in 38-55.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
A Remington forum is a splendid idea. Unfortunately I am not much of a poster, but I am a hell of a good lurker. I check the savage page at least every other day, Winchester, every few days. Remington would be in the middle. Have 14s in 25 and 30, several 700s, including a couple 20 inch barrel first year production models, mountain rifles. Most of all I have been a huge fan of the model 11. Have them in every gauge and have gifted one to each of my 4 boys. Possibly the greatest working man’s shotgun of all time. A Win 12 or REM 870 could maybe give it a run for its money.
Would love to see a Remington forum.

Eric

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics are questionable.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by johno
May I add a little from down under, last year there was a farm clearing sale about 6 hours from where I live we decided to go and stay in a caravan park about an hour from the sale. There were two 141/2 carbines in 44-40 never seen one here before, well things went pear shaped got a late night call re a family issue so went home first thing in the morning and missed the sale. One was in really good condition the other a bit rough number one made $160.00 AUD about $105.00 USD the other $60.00 AUD I was not happy camper as the family thing was a complete beat up. I got the auctioner to contact buy and just put a price on them but no luck.

Can't tell you how much this eats me every time I think about it

Johno

They run well over $1000.00 Us over here and are damned hard to find at that.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Rick99
Well, a new Remington Collectors Forum will live or not depending on who is interested enough to follow through with the idea.

If nothing else, post your idea on the other 24HCF forums and see what interest there is. You never know till you try. This Savage Collectors site originated more than 20 years ago on another website that died. Some of those original members are still here...hundreds have come and gone.

Interested if that makes any difference, I'm a fan of the m14 and m141 as well as the m25 .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I asked Rick Bin about setting up a Remington Collectors Forum. His comment was " If there are enough of them. I don't want to start a dead forum."

I have no interest in this so if you guys want it someone or a group will have to step up and do enough posting/asking and answering questions to keep it alive.

The Forums are a great way to compare and learn from others with similar interests as you. If you just want to congratulate someone for owning a gray rat the Forum will die fast.

Post the question on all the other Forums you attend and see if there is an interest. Rick Bin will set you up if the interest is there. Go find the others and good luck.

One question I have not asked... is there another Remington Forum on the web with a big following?

....well I'm answering my own question. I ask Copilot (Microsofts AI)

Copilot
Certainly! If you’re interested in Remington firearms and want to connect with fellow enthusiasts, I recommend checking out the Remington Society. It’s an organization dedicated to the study of Remington firearms. Here are some details about the Remington Society forum:

Forum Name: Remington Society
Description: A place where Remington collectors and enthusiasts gather to discuss various topics related to Remington firearms.
Topics of Discussion:
General Comments or Discussion: Engage in conversations about Remington firearms, history, and related topics.
Remington Handguns: Explore discussions about pre-1899 and post-1898 Remington pistols.
Remington Rifles: Dive into topics related to pre-1899 and post-1898 Remington rifles.
Remington Shotguns: Connect with others interested in pre-1899 and post-1898 Remington shotguns.
Remington Knives: Learn about Remington knives and their production.
Remington Advertising: Discuss Remington advertisements and promotional materials.
Items For Sale and Wanted to Buy: Buy, sell, or trade Remington items.
Guestbook: You can also sign the guestbook and connect with other Remington enthusiasts.
Feel free to explore the Remington Society forum and engage in discussions with fellow collectors! 🌟🔫🔍

Last edited by Rick99; 02/26/24.

Rick...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Spoke with Rick Bin about a Remington Collectors Forum 5 or 6 years ago. Posted in several relevant forums on the ‘fire, but there was not enough interest at the time.
Maybe things have changed and more members will weigh in
I’d really like to see it happen, hope someone will run with it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Rick99
I asked Rick Bin about setting up a Remington Collectors Forum. His comment was " If there are enough of them. I don't want to start a dead forum."

I have no interest in this so if you guys want it someone or a group will have to step up and do enough posting/asking and answering questions to keep it alive.

The Forums are a great way to compare and learn from others with similar interests as you. If you just want to congratulate someone for owning a gray rat the Forum will die fast.

Post the question on all the other Forums you attend and see if there is an interest. Rick Bin will set you up if the interest is there. Go find the others and good luck.

One question I have not asked... is there another Remington Forum on the web with a big following?

Rick,
I regularly visit the Remington Society of America (RSA) website and forums, there may be others.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d be on it most every day. I am a big fan of the model 14s, 141s, model 8 and 81.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Rick would like one or more to oversee the site and drum up a following. Main thing would be to keep the Forum from turning into a dead airspace.

If one or more of you are up for it just tell him of you plan/interest and he will probably set you up.

Rick...

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I agree fully that "dead Forums" are useless. Moreover, they portend an inference of being symptoms of wider Website. woes! Yet the opposite argument. The proposition, Rome wasn't built in a day and did become a productive social gathering locale. So ot some extend "Forum can rise or fall, not on their productivity, but on the 'rules of the game' imposed by the Forum Executives. "Success" is how you measure it and "reasonable expectations. to my thought, a "good Forum brings the Members, not measured in a vacuum, but in context of the wider "health" or the Fire Forums collectively. All in harmonious orbits! Gun Websites heed time, publicity and the fertilization that most all of us gun owners specialize! smile smile smile One of my objections to significant personal participation is a "produce or perish" cloud overhead. "Volunteers in such environs, a tough class to recruit!

I'd suggest a Wright Bros approach. Give it some time. See if it flies. Opportunity for 'tweaks'. See if it will remain "airborne". Check your 'winds'. Use every Fire Forums to ring the Fire Bell & see who slides down the Pole.

Momment for Remington Society. Difficult for me to speak objectively! It should be the primo Website for about all things Remington in the way of guns. Indeed, I was a member for better part of a half decade. Primarily using the "Rifle Post 1898" Forum, before resigning in disgust in about 2015 or so. The same Forum Moderator there for years to date. Doing more to drive away members than to foster them. It's the only Forum of any sort from which I've resigned. Without saying more, the fact that their Forum public participation is quite low, the number of questions asked and unanswered questions as relatively high. Many of his experts don't participate any more.

I offer the following Rem Society Post 1898 Rifle Forum where "NambuJim" rules as Moderator. Check out this Thread of August 2023 of some hapless person! Nambujim responding: https://www.remingtonsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27873

Nuff said! I rest my case, re RSA. To my mind is a hollow shell of the Organization it "might have been". No serious Forum competition here!

Best!
John

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd be a steady follower and contributer. Was kinda surprised 7 or so years ago when I joined that there wasn't a dedicated Remington forum. I'm in.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While I check and read the link above that the OP listed (remingtonsociety.org) from time to time, I enjoy 'thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com' forum alot more. It deals only with Models 8, 81, and the European made FN 1900 series. Not sure if it is an offshoot of the forum/link the OP posted, how they are connected if at all. When I joined it 8-9 years ago it was really active but has gotten quiet the last few years. Not sure if the older members who are very knowledgeable lost interest or what the circumstances are, some of them post once in a while. At times it will get active, then get quiet for awhile. There is a wealth of info in the archives if ya search it though. Still a good forum to check on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From Dad, I inherited a Rem model 8 in .35 Rem.

It would be great to have a forum here so folks like me can become better educated.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,865
Posts18,478,668
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.