Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
WARNING! A somewhat long post.

So, once in a blue moon I hear some guys who don't know much about bullet resistant vests say that if you get shot in the vest that you will be incapacitated and or on the ground dead from blunt force trauma. While this myth is still pervasive among some individuals it's simply a false claim made through ignorance and not facts and is not based on real world evidence.

Myth #1:
Getting shot in a bullet resistant vest will incapacitate you or give you lethal backface deformation damage regardless if the vest was rated to stop that particular round.

The Facts
: Right off the bat I want to say that there is no evidence for this claim. Actually, all the real world data and evidence points to the contrary. That’s why the NIJ ballistics standard exists which puts a cap on how much backface is tolerable against the human body excluding the head. Body armor has saved countless lives and there are plenty of people who have been shot and live to tell about it.

The NIJ allows a depth of BFD of ≤ 44mm which is the safe zone but anything > 44mm is potentially lethal or will cause serious trauma. Just read the Section and Application Guide to Body Armor pp. 20 and 26 from the NIJ [1]. This is their standard for backface deformation based on what the U.S Army research center concluded is tolerable against the upper body excluding the head. And this is perhaps the only standard that the NIJ and military both abide by today [2] when testing their body armor vests. Other than that they both conduct very different ballistic tests for their armor systems due to different threat situations and encounters. So for those of you who don’t know, a surplus IOTV vest is NOT NIJ certified or even compliant.

The NIJ has analyzed [3] blunt force damage > 44mm in the past and the severity of damage it could cause. If they couldn't accurately pinpoint a safe threshold in the first place for a BFD depth limit which is ≤ 44mm then this data couldn’t even exist so think about it.

Myth #2:
There are even better ballistic standards than the NIJ one used in body armor vests that pose even stricter requirements for backface deformation like the VPAM European Standard which only allows a BFD limit of 25mm for body armor.

The Facts: Such a statement is a half-truth and misrepresentation of what VPAM rated products are actually out there. There is no ‘soft armor VPAM rated vest’ on the market, period. Generally, you’ll find the VPAM rating on a couple of new generation hard rifle plates and ballistic helmets. Speaking of ballistic helmets, this is where the VPAM standard is mainly being utilized with today; having a strict BFD standard for ballistic helmets with mitigating as much blunt force trauma to the head. This makes plenty of sense. Still, though, there are barely a handful of them on the market right now [4].

Anyway, with such strict standards the VPAM has there are very, very few ballistic products available that have been certified with that performance standard at the present moment. Not to mention, they are extremely hard to find and some can be quite pricey [5]! It’s also one of MANY different ballistic standards for body armor throughout the world. Russia has their GOST armor standard and China has their GA141 armor standard as examples.

I would also note that there are other countries that have adopted an NIJ compliant standard in conjunction with their own ballistic standards and, yes, even the VPAM standard like Finland and Denmark. To be more specific: Varusteleka [6] of Finland and Protection Group Denmark [7] of Denmark supply or manufacture NIJ compliant body armor from their countries. Varusteleka is more of a military surplus store but indeed supplies it from a manufacturer in Finland. Clearly, they must have found our own NIJ standards to be quite useful and effective or else they wouldn’t have adopted it.

In Conclusion: If you believe any of these myths about soft armor vests then you might as well believe the same for hard ceramic plate armor also. Hard ceramic rifle plate armor creates backface deformation from being shot by rifle calibers the same way soft armor does from handgun calibers. In the end, the NIJ protocols have been carefully thought out and scrutinized and have saved many lives over the years since its implementation.

Yes, it’ll hurt a good amount to get shot in a bullet resistant vest by a caliber the vest is rated to stop but you won’t be dead and will still probably be moving about which is a good thing. No matter what NIJ rated vest or plate you get it will do the job it’s intended for without BFD being a problem. So, stop worrying about these myths and enjoy yourselves by watching this YouTube video [8] of a guy shooting himself in a bullet resistant vest to get an even better picture of what I’m talking about.

Sources:

1. https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/247281.pdf
pp. 20 and 26.

2. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_body_armor_performance_standards

3. https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-l...ement-officers-backface-signature-injury

4. https://www.armorexpress.com/product/armourers_choice_tn4c_vpam_doj_ach/

5. https://www.ade.pt/product/rf3-armor-plate/

6. https://www.varusteleka.com/en

7. https://protectiongroupdenmark.com/...used-ballistic-standards-for-body-armor/

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So...

2 posts here a year or more apart.

Lotsa links that go God knows where.

Why don't introduce yourself, tell us why you feel so passionate about posting body armor threads with lots of links and length, so the regulars here can relate to why you might do that?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I took the backplate out of mine but I kept it in the other ones for my family. I’m not worried about getting shot in the back unless I’m surrounded.

I have a decently thick spall coating on the AR600 plates.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The family that slays together stays together!

LOL

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not hardly my intent. With enemies all around us my intention is to provide whatever safety I can provide to get them the hell out of here. It has NOTHING to do with fighting and everything to do about my responsibility to my family.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Damn I was hoping someone would debunk all the backface deformation myths.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how much that jacket weights and what it is rated for? It wore like a typical jacket more than I would have expected.

The bullet left a heck of a mark. It didn’t look as effective as my plate carrier but IDK and have no desire to find out. I haven’t kept up with what’s out there or the current latest and greatest over the past few years. I wouldn’t doubt if clothes are the future of body armor or a two layered approach with a light plate carrier vest and a jacket worn over it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Damn I was hoping someone would debunk all the backface deformation myths.

I suspect that you said this in jest, but DocRocket provided some information on his experiences here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ot-this-gotta-be-a-24hr-guy#Post18948824

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Filed away under things I never have to worry about.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Fk getting shot

FACT

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Buddsgun12
WARNING! A somewhat long post.

The NIJ allows a depth of BFD of ≤ 44mm
which is the safe zone but anything > 44mm is potentially lethal or will cause serious trauma. Just read the Section and Application Guide to Body Armor pp. 20 and 26 from the NIJ [1]. This is their standard for backface deformation based on what the U.S Army research center concluded is tolerable against the upper body excluding the head. And this is perhaps the only standard that the NIJ and military both abide by today [2] when testing their body armor vests. Other than that they both conduct very different ballistic tests for their armor systems due to different threat situations and encounters. So for those of you who don’t know, a surplus IOTV vest is NOT NIJ certified or even compliant.

44 mm = 1.73"

Not sure what the definition of "serious trauma" is, but a fast, concentrated push on a rib or sternum of roughly 1-3/4" wouldn't feel good.

I'm sure it's survivable though, so better than the alternative.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’m not worried about getting shot in the back unless I’m surrounded.

With enemies all around us

I have some bad news for you....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I took the backplate out of mine but I kept it in the other ones for my family. I’m not worried about getting shot in the back unless I’m surrounded.

I have a decently thick spall coating on the AR600 plates.

Lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a you tube video of a girl shooting a plate with a 45-70. Don’t recall the rating on the plate but it was about the highest they make. The back face deformation must have been 4” to 6”. Not sure a body could have survived that. The girl does a lot of videos on guns and shooting. She’s not very tall and not very fat. Actually quite attractive. Not sure everything about her is real.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Alex Zedra and the 45-70

breast implants

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All i got is Alex zedra is a hottie..

And heather lynn noe.

( boomer warning - tattoes)

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just guessing that beer isn't the first thing to blow up in her face...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Grotesque fake boobs and tats- - - -damned shame to mess up what was probably a smokin' hot body to begin with!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We seem to have lost our train of thought here regarding backplate deformation. Afraid that might happen when I mentioned her. I think those might be her two best videos.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not want to experience a 1 3/4"-deep punch over the heart or spine.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,348
Posts18,506,238
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.