Hop To
#19249845 02/26/24
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
What the heck is going on with your provincial government? People cannot be called British Columbians anymore

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/british-columbians-offensive

Hugh
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hugh;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day behaved and this finds you well.

With the understanding that it's REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hard for me to look at the current dog and pony show going on in Victoria without tremendous distain inducing bias.

There seems to be those within the morass which is our current NDP travelling circus who are in competition to "out woke" each other and the favorite way to prove they're more woke than the next wokester is to dream up further ways to show how much they love and respect First Nations communities.

It's not like they do anything concrete however Hugh, so the social issues still remain horrific on reserves, the living conditions on some downright shocking, but my goodness the wokesters won't call themselves British Columbians, no sir, not them.....

It's been a wee bit of a long day out here Hugh and admittedly I'm slightly weary and much less filled with Christian charity than I really need to be, but that's how I see it.

These government folks are the same people who were trying to block non FN people from accessing any Crown Lands last week and once word got out about that, they had to fold as it's an election year here.

If they were doing something, anything at all really to help the FN communities, that might be different, but it's the same old song and dance with the very few greasing the palms of even fewer.

That's the view from the stands here where we're smack dab in between two of the richest FN bands in Canada, with business ties stretching throughout BC in many of the FN communities.

Sorry for being jaded tonight sir, tomorrow perhaps I'll see the light and stop being quite so cynical about the wokesters, but then again, I just might not either.

As the Good Book says:

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Funny how something written so long ago is still so stunningly accurate.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/26/24. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the link Hugh, good response Dwayne.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GRF;
Good evening my friend, I hope you and your fine family are well tonight and are surviving any weather that's been happening with the latest blast.

Thanks yet again for the kind words sir, I appreciate them.

Sometimes, well lets be honest here sir, all the time for me - it's tough for me to just type out something as succinct as, "They are all just full of crap", without elaborating just a wee bit as to why it is I believe they are full of exactly what kind of crap.

It's a shortcoming for sure GRF, but as you know, it's not my only one and I am working on them. wink

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
What did the Newfie say to the British Columbian?

Better not say cause I think I might have offended some already.

This whole offend thing blows my mind.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
marzoom;
Top of the morning to you, I hope the weather on the Big Rock in the Pacific is behaving and you're well.

We used to have both daughters living in Victoria and have family and friends around Nanaimo as well, so we've logged enough BC Ferries miles and ticket stubs over the last 40 plus years to have a few memories.

While I'm sure there must be grumpy Newfoundlanders out there somewhere, in my entire working life I never bumped into one.

They all seemed to have a unique combination of "favorite phrases" as well, some of which were off color but extremely funny at the same time.

I recall some being anatomically improbable if not impossible too.....

As most here know, I was raised in a fairly strict, traditional Christian prairie farm environment and somehow I don't really recall anybody being "offended" about much. We all too busy trying to survive either the snow or the mosquitoes, depending on the time of year.

Well if you didn't eat everything you'd piled on your plate at supper, that was trouble...

Especially if you were at the aunt and uncle's place..... grin

Wasn't truly that we'd offended the parents then though, just a family honor thing perhaps?

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/27/24.

H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Dwayne / 673 I read an article that outlined that there are basically two very strong indigenous groups in BC and they basically control the discussions with the government. Is this the case?

It sure seems like the British Columbian government is trying its woke best to appease the indigenous groups but the way they are doing in it in my view will lead to more future conflict.

Hugh
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure what is going on there Hugh. I am fairly certain it is something nefarious, that I know for sure. Gonna find out more tomorrow evening as there is more info coming.

I can say for certain that there will be bloodshed if anyone is kept off the land.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hugh;
Morning again sir, I hope the day's been behaving for you all on the other side of the big hills thus far.

With the understanding that I am not personally connected with the FN community in the same way 673 is, I'll give you my perspective for what it's worth.

My perspective is from someone who has family who have lived in FN communities all over western Canada, have other family who have done business with many of the FN bands in BC and have worked with FN representatives in different wildlife and habitat issues over the past 40 years.

Speaking broadly here Hugh, when we speak broadly about anything to do with FN communities, we are showing that we lack an understanding of how the various FN band councils are functioning.

We'll see on the legacy media that "FN group A" says this or that, but if they'd really understand the issue, they'd know that the spokesperson for one particular band - on that day or better said present day council and chief - are saying this or that.

In the same way that PM Socks doesn't speak for all Canadians, all people living in Ontario or Ottawa and now it would appear not even all of his own household, we somehow suffer under the delusion that FN think or view a certain subject in a more homogenous way than non FN people do.

Why and how that all came to be is another rabbit hole Hugh, but we do them and ourselves great disservice when we do that.

So very much we'll have a situation where we can move forward on construction project X or wildlife habitat enhancement project Y with this band, based upon how the present council and chief view them.

Some bands have a more continuous trajectory as to where they're going, say Westbank Indian Band or Osoyoos Indian Band who are two of the richest bands in Canada, but make no mistake that was because of continuity of leadership within the band. Basically Ron Derrickson and Clarence Louie respectively have charted the course that steered the bands to where they are today.

Again I'm going to stress I'm an outsider looking in, occasionally attempting to do business with the different bands or band run businesses.

The difference between where Westbank and Osoyoos are when compared to Penticton, which sits smack dab in the middle of them is quite stark.

That said when Penticton got some forward thinking leadership in place, they've started a few projects that will reap benefits for the band members for the foreseeable future.

Honestly too Hugh, the provincial and federal governments are totally aware of the situation, but will not openly discuss it because its contrary to the woke doctrine they've embraced.

The last thought I have on the subject - well honestly it's far from the last Hugh, but I do need to cease typing at some point - is that by not discussing it in an adult manner with the various bands, the different government entities further show their total disrespect for the FN communities.

It's talking down to them, treating them as inferior, but in a more subtle way - again in my view.

Anyways Hugh, that's all I have to say about that.

All the best.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dwayne,

I knew a guy who was elected chief of the 6 Nations reserve here in Ontario. He quit because he got so frustrated with his own people

They'd have a delegation come to the council and insist the council do X. The council would spend months and millions of dollars to get X up and running, then another delegation of the same people would come to council and say "No, don't do X. You must do Y!" and they'd start all over again. They can't even agree amongst themselves.

And the feds have to negotiate with 178 (I think) independent "nations" with the same attitudes.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wannabebwana;
Good almost afternoon here and afternoon there, regardless I trust all is well as can be with you sir.

Thanks for the reply and the additional data points, it's both unfortunate but at the same time understandable that the situation is similar out your way as it is here.

There are of course reasons for the situation being this way, not the least of which is that the governments don't respect the various bands and treat them like any other entity in order that they, like we, might learn how life in the business world works.

Other factors are in play too for sure, but when the overall situation means that folks like the gentleman you knew become frustrated to the point of no longer participating - and everyone looses.

Interesting times for sure.

All the best.

Dwayne

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All Native organizations in Canada have been subverted.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HughW
What the heck is going on with your provincial government? People cannot be called British Columbians anymore

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/british-columbians-offensive

They vote NDP.

Until that changes, you will always suffer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,127
Posts18,483,847
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.