Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
A $Mil in the bank and no debt, a guy can still live pretty well.

no debt period.....free and clear everything, toys and all...I think should be the goal of regular people who want to retire.....bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Calvin
Exactly.

All depends on what you use to calculate “million”.

Take out of the equation primary home equity and a retirement account you can’t touch and I would like to see the millionaire numbers.
$1M in liquid assets vs $1M net worth?

I specifically said $Mil in the bank. You can make 5.25% in a basic CD. Draw your $2900/mo SS, wife draw $1800 = $9075/mo.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

no debt period.....free and clear everything, toys and all...I think should be the goal of regular people who want to retire.....bob

Only way to fly. I reached that goal at age 42.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
In some locales for sure. The ones I’d want to live in anyway. Guy on Long Island retiring told me his property taxes alone are $24k a year.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My friend was worth, depending on the market, between $700 million and $800 million years ago. His dad passed away and left him an average sized bank, which he sold for an additional $96 million.

Easily the most paranoid and depressed human I’ve ever met.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by jackmountain
In some locales for sure. The ones I’d want to live in anyway. Guy on Long Island retiring told me his property taxes alone are $24k a year.
Goddam🤯

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d rather have passive income/liquidity than equity i couldn’t tap. Lots of land poor millionaires living at welfare levels. Net worth is worthless if you can’t afford your grocery bill.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Goddam🤯
I about shot when he told me that. He bought a lot down here for $45k told me in Long Island it would bring $450k. They’ll sell their house up there, move down here to a house twice as big and pocket a million to retire on plus pay 1/10th that in taxes. That’s the reason red states are turning blue. Libs can’t afford the policies they voted for.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
[
I’d rather have passive income/liquidity than equity i couldn’t tap. Lots of land poor millionaires living at welfare levels. Net worth is worthless if you can’t afford your grocery bill.

Agreed.

I like JG’s math.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Exactly.

Take out of the equation primary home equity and a retirement account you can’t touch and I would like to see the millionaire numbers.

I specifically said $Mil in the bank. You can make 5.25% in a basic CD. Draw your $2900/mo SS, wife draw $1800 = $9075/mo.
Yup. I read that. I was replying to Calvin.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Exactly.

It seems under Trump CD's paid a bit less.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by BallotBoxBiology
If you dont have a milly by retirement and paid off house, you [bleep] up or got screwed along the way (cancer). Especially anyone retiring now. You had it damn good.

Using the 4% rule that's $40K/year today. Not much unless there is a pension in the mix. Of course social security will help. Twenty years from now?

Well, for one, I'm betting social security is either non-existent or looks a whole lot different. And Medicare.. Call it the way you see it. But, i'm already seeing a lot of pressure being put on healthcare here with the illegals. All these pricks know exactly where to go, how to word their begging, and maximize their free schit.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some people can't handle money very well. I am reminded of a case in Los Angeles about 25 years ago. A black gangsta in one of the Blood sets, a former prison inmate, sent to the slam for dealing dope, was out of prison on parole, living in South Central. He bought a couple of lottery tickets, became lucky and won several million $$$$$. Within a year, he was back dealing dope, was again arrested and sent back to San Quentin.

Even though he'd won all that money, blown much of it , he just could not stay our of "the Life."

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Exactly.

Yeah net worth is a bit misleading when it comes to wealth given the recent rapid appreciation in real estate.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Stealth Wealth...yeah it's real.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Maybe if I live to 200.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One of the first 50M lottery winners in Fl, back in the 80s IIRC, was won by a woman, took the annuity, no choice back then.... 2.5M a year for 20 years....

Had to go to a financial advisors after a year or so, she was going broke!?!?!?!?

First thing he said was OK Mrs Jones first thing your going to do is STOP buy $3,000 worth of lottery tickets every MONTH!?!?!?!?

People that have never had to manage a lot of money often don't need to try!!!! At least without some guidance.

YMMV

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We live rather modestly, drive cars til the wheels practically fall off......

Drove the Cherokee to the dealership this past July, after driving the new car, salesman asked is there anything we should know about the Jeep????

IDK I said, it's 15 years old and 280K miles..... He said it won't start!! I tried several times, it didn't.

I abandoned it at the dealership, they still gave me 1K trade in! Only time I thought I won at the dealership!

Probably DIDN't, but it felt like I did,,,,,

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Exactly.

Yeah net worth is a bit misleading when it comes to wealth given the recent rapid appreciation in real estate.
Inflation in general is causing a lot of the “wealth” creation, sadly few recognize its relationship to purchasing power/value of the USD. People aren’t getting rich, they just have twice as many dollars that are worth 1/3 of what they used to be worth. If you’re retired you better have your wealth in assets that appreciate parallel to the rate of inflation.
I agree with Calvin, the equity you have in your primary residence, unless you’re planning on selling at retirement shouldn’t be considered when talking net worth for retirement purposes. Same with any other real estate that doesn’t generate income like second homes etc.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by BallotBoxBiology
If you dont have a milly by retirement and paid off house, you [bleep] up or got screwed along the way (cancer). Especially anyone retiring now. You had it damn good.

Using the 4% rule that's $40K/year today. Not much unless there is a pension in the mix. Of course social security will help. Twenty years from now?

Well, for one, I'm betting social security is either non-existent or looks a whole lot different. And Medicare.. Call it the way you see it. But, i'm already seeing a lot of pressure being put on healthcare here with the illegals. All these pricks know exactly where to go, how to word their begging, and maximize their free schit.
I’m 52 in a few months and SS/Medicare is not a factor in my retirement planning. If there’s something there I’ll take advantage of it, but I’m doubtful. Migrants will collapse it which is likely part of the plan

Last edited by jackmountain; 02/27/24.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mom had some coin back in 1980. Carter's econ0my was paying her 18% on her money.
I ain't lying. cool

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 27 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.