Print Thread
Hop To
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Since this has only been covered 50-60 times, let's do it again....LOL Full disclosure, this is a bit of a rant also.

I am looking for stock options other than McMillan. I really really really want a stock with molded in color but I think McMillan is the only one. The problem is that they just take toooo long. I've been waiting for a stock from them for 8 months and it still isn't done and it's a flat top. NO INLET!!! They said it should be done in the next few weeks... crazy

I just don't want a painted stock. The paint won't handle any level of abuse or wear. I have some really pretty guns and I am very careful with them. I also have some composite stock guns for a little rougher use. If I get a painted stock I might as well get another gorgeous piece of wood because they both require the same care. Are there any other options for a composite stock that is not painted???

Please help.
Thanks

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Check out unpainted Carbon Fiber stocks

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just get a Bansner and don’t paint it. Win-win. Cheaper for you, and every time you get nicks just sand it a bit.

Only half joking.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only thing I've seen with molded in color are the cheap injection molded factory stocks. Everything else is painted as a rule. I suppose you could leave a fiberglass or Kevlar stock unpainted, but it still isn't the same color all the way through.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Moulded in colour McMillan?

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Just get a Bansner and don’t paint it. Win-win. Cheaper for you, and every time you get nicks just sand it a bit.

Only half joking.

I have had Kevin Weaver do a bunch of stocks for me and to date, they have been pretty tough. Unless you're draggin it thru rocks behind you, they seem to hold up real well.

Bob used to say back in the day he'd put an unpainted Pound'R on his rifles and just hunt em.

Last edited by beretzs; 02/27/24.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Only half joking.

I have had Kevin Weaver do a bunch of stocks for me and to date, they have been pretty tough. Unless you're draggin it thru rocks behind you, they seem to hold up real well.

Bob used to say back in the day he'd put an unpainted Pound'R on his rifles and just hunt em.

He was right. I don't think you can hurt a PoundR...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bob, like you I'm a fan of the molded in color McMillan stocks. When I was a dealer for them, Kelley would accommodate most any request I had for colors or other non 'normal' patterns. I also have several molded in color patterns from Kelbly's. At one time, the now defunct (thankfully) Lone Wolf Stock from Montana offered molded in colors...which I tried a couple of. Horrible stocks and very poor customer service.

I've been having quite a few stocks hydro dipped lately and have been happy with the result. Several are on hunting rigs that get used pretty hard and they've held up remarkably well. If you want to go that route, be aware that not all dipping services are the same. The main one I use specializes in production runs of dipped components that have to endure hard use....guns, bows, etc. The difference in durability between them and a couple of smaller services I've tried is like night and day.

For what it's worth. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.