Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am poking around progressive presses, mainly for .45 ACP and 9mm, but other calibers in lesser quantities as well.

I started at the Dillon 750, then perused the 1100, did a little reading, and still trying to sort it all.

Looks like a D1100 set up for those two calibers would run $2750-ish (shocked) before KA tax and shipping. We’re talking the basic equipment to run the casefeeder and the press. No fluff.

The Dillon site is tricky, but I think if I try to set up a D750 in an apples-to-apples build with two calibers and a casefeeder, it runs about half what the 1100 does ... $1400-ish before KA tax and shipping.

For those of you with experience with these presses, other than swaging, what else does the D1100 do that the D750 will not.

I see the price of the Mark 7 Apex 10 has been dropped to $2500. 10 stations. Seen them operate automated, and they are something. Starting to wonder if the D1100 gets lost in the middle. D750 - a fine press that probably does all you need. Apex 10 has some quantifiable plusses (not the least of which is that Mark 7 was purchased by Lyman) if you’re going to drop double for the top-end.

Welcome all thoughts and input, although I confess, I may be leaning one way already ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
If you will be swaging I would definitely go with the 1100 if not the 750 will load alot of ammo fairly fast about 2 hours for 1k of 9mm, caliber change will also be cheaper on the 750!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I load several pistol cartridges on a dillon 650 and can load 100 rds in 7 mins. I load up 10 primer tubes before starting. When I dump a tube of primers I throw cases in the case feeder and put some more bullets in the bullet tray. If handgun calibers are going to be your main loading I would go with the 750 and save the extra dollars for components.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It all depends on how many rds. you need per month. If I needed 4000rds. plus per month, I'd want the 1050 or 1100.

For smaller amounts of ammo, and changing calibers often, I'd get a 550 or two of them.

If you need only pistol and change calibers once a year, the Square Deal B is fine for 500rds. a week.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RickBin
I am poking around progressive presses, mainly for .45 ACP and 9mm, but other calibers in lesser quantities as well.

I started at the Dillon 750, then perused the 1100, did a little reading, and still trying to sort it all.

Looks like a D1100 set up for those two calibers would run $2750-ish (shocked) before KA tax and shipping. We’re talking the basic equipment to run the casefeeder and the press. No fluff.

The Dillon site is tricky, but I think if I try to set up a D750 in an apples-to-apples build with two calibers and a casefeeder, it runs about half what the 1100 does ... $1400-ish before KA tax and shipping.

For those of you with experience with these presses, other than swaging, what else does the D1100 do that the D750 will not.

I see the price of the Mark 7 Apex 10 has been dropped to $2500. 10 stations. Seen them operate automated, and they are something. Starting to wonder if the D1100 gets lost in the middle. D750 - a fine press that probably does all you need. Apex 10 has some quantifiable plusses (not the least of which is that Mark 7 was purchased by Lyman) if you’re going to drop double for the top-end.

Welcome all thoughts and input, although I confess, I may be leaning one way already ...
First Rick, must define user needs. For example the rate, change over, uniformity of reloads, support and cost of modifications or adding additional cartridges. Dillion is a great manufacture (I use to work there when I was 16! On 550 line over 3 decades ago!). Product are well designed and supported, warranty is fantastic. Money can be saved if you align your needs. Also sometimes it’s better to buy two machines even if not the same.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My sons and I are waiting for a 750 to show up early this next week. We watched a lot of videos, read a lot of reviews, and even called Dillon on speaker phone to answer some odd questions we had. We are splitting all costs 3 ways.

Progressives are uncharted waters for me/us; me having only single stage loaded since the early 80s, and them having learned on my equipment. We decided the 750 set up for 223/556 with no case feeder (yet) was the best bang for the buck to start with for our immediate needs, and build on it from there with some pistol calibers. My one son made the comment, it's a dang Lego set, just keep adding what we need over time.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have owned all the Dillon presses and now am back to a Super 1050. Started with a Square Deal (primer seating was marginal at best) and next up was the 550 which is a great versatile press but lacked primer pocket swaging and did not spit out 45 and 9mm enough to suit me. Got a 1050 and used for many years but stoped shooting so traded it off. Got back into shooting and picked up a 750 but lack of primer pocket swaging sent me to a Super 1050.

I would never buy another Square Deal press again but the others I would however, I would not load 9mm or 45 acp on them unless less than 250 rounds a week were needed.

So, primer pocket swaging and speed of reloading is advantage of Dillon 1050.

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of options and considerations, and not the first time I have pondered all this. I was hoping to have one press to do it all, and now I no longer wonder why so many serious reloaders have multiple outfits.

I like to shoot a number of cartridges, but like many, I definitely go through more 9mm and .45 ACP than, say, .357 Mag. If you select a machine that can handle high volume, they and the caliber swaps tend to get more expensive, complex, and more time consuming ... not what I want to do for a few hundred rounds of revolver cartridges between batches of .45 or 9.

On the other hand, simpler machines with easier and less expensive caliber swaps tend to suffer in the output department, or sacrifice stations where one might want to swage, or powder cop, or separate seating and crimping ...

Plus I don’t think I want multiple toolheads on stands, all with their own powder measures and whatnot installed in order to make caliber changes less painful ... I see the attraction, especially for what these tend to run, to just having a separate, smaller, simpler machine (550) set up for small runs of cartridges you want to load for, but maybe not shoot in high volumes ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Started with a single stage. Graduated to a Square. Now have two 550’s set and ready. I use one for Large primers and one for small. Do have a couple tool heads for each. Pretty slick arrangement for my needs.

I’ve seen the higher end models in action and boy are they slick! If I needed the volume they produce I’d certainly have one. As it is however my set up is sufficient.

My suggestion would be to try a 550. Graduate up if desired. Thus far the additional advantages haven’t persuaded me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It took me a long time to get a Dillon, but that was because my experience with another brand made me realize I wasn’t going to compromise on a progressive and I wasn’t in the position for a while. It was worth the wait.

I was in the same boat as you, OP. I wanted to swap back and forth between 9mm and 45acp. Depending on the time of year, I shoot between 400 and 4000 rds per month and have a few buckets of military crimped 9mm. While all that suggests an 1100, I had a friend that had a 750 NIB and wanted my rifle. A case feeder and Super Swage 600 later, I have no regrets.

I was originally planning to get a Mr. Bullet Feeder, but I quickly came to appreciate having eyes on the process and realized the bullet feeder wouldn’t give me what I consider any significant advantage. I’m knocking out about 1k in 1.5 hours, taking my time. I’m sure the 1000-series owners would never trade down, but my ignorance to that is bliss with my 750.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think the best progressive was the Star. I was partial owner once (with my brother’s).
I am down to 4 presses and have had others including a “Model Perfect” by Herters - none of my presses are progressive and I’ll never buy or use one. I’m a fanatic when it comes to reloads. A progessive won’t allow me to inspect and look every step as close as I demand.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by ring3
have two 550’s set and ready. I use one for Large primers and one for small.

My suggestion would be to try a 550. Graduate up if desired. Thus far the additional advantages haven’t persuaded me.

Sound advice here, went the same route years ago with 550's and stuck with them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like others I started with a single stage then after a couple years looking for a Dillon 550 found a used one locally. It came with a couple heads and powder drops. I found it a great press as I'm not loading a lot of ammo so loading in batches was great. Learning all the clicks and clacks it made was the best experience and I could tell when something wasn't going right. Dumped powder wrong a few times before realizing the powder funnel was sticking, a bit of 1000 grit sandpaper solved the issue. Last year found a guy wanting to get rid of a 650 with case feeder so picked it up and passed the 550 to a good friend. The 650 is a bit slicker and faster and great for what I do, probably a bit excessive, but for the cost it was a no-brainer. Since I'm only loading a couple calibers I like having the heads set for each one so changes take minimal time with no adjustments. I'm content with the 650 and still have my Redding Big Boss single stage for all my bolt rifles as I want everything as close to perfect as possible. Bottom line can't go wrong with either Dillon, just which one fits your budget and needs.

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Update:

Mark 7 Apex 10 hit the front porch today. 😎

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good lawd! You went from "What makes most fiscal sense" to "I never want to buy another press in my life".

Well done, sir. Please report. Is it everything it advertises to be?

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RayF
Good lawd! You went from "What makes most fiscal sense" to "I never want to buy another press in my life".

I have found those two things are often not mutually exclusive. grin

Yes. I would like for this to be the last press I ever buy. Assembly this week.

😎

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by RayF

I have found those two things are often not mutually exclusive. grin

Yes. I would like for this to be the last press I ever buy. Assembly this week.

😎

I'd have one of those if I were a bit younger and less crippled up. I'll make do with the 1050 in my old age!

Looking forward to your thoughts.

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Still awaiting the Mr. Bullet Feeder, but initial impressions of the Apex 10 after a bit of setup and running some 9mm are very favorable.

The Apex 10 is a robust press! Very solid and tight. The extra stations allow for some different setups, and I particularly like the DAA Magnetic Powder Check and the also the included primer alarm, which I did not have before. There is a lot happening with 10 stations, and flying with a net is welcomed and appreciated.

The press seems to like lubrication ... we'll see if it settles in.

There will be more, but right now, I am quite pleased.

Last edited by RickBin; 04/01/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.