Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hardway Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am interested in a lightweight for the few times a year I can’t carry a mid size auto. I’m only interested in a j frame…. Not a ruger lcr or some other tiny auto.

I have zero desire to shoot 357’s in a j frame (340pd) but the 38 version (342?) doesn’t look like it’s available anymore from S&W.

So considering it will only see 38’s…. Is the weight savings of the 340 worth it over the 642? Too much of a good thing? I don’t expect to shoot it as well as a larger framed gun but I’m guessing the weight of the 340 makes it a little harder to control recoil over the 642….. tough decision, wish I had both to test side by side but it’s unlikely. I had the Taurus 605 years ago but it was a piece of crap, cylinder locked up….had issues with the internal lock….couldnt get rid of it soon enough after Taurus claimed they fixed it. Thx.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never shot the 340 but I do have a 442 and 642 I really like. Just the thing to drop in a coat pocket for a quick trip to the store or throw in a fishing vest or bag.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Even with 38+P, the 340 is a painful gun to shoot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First of all, if you go 340 get the M&P over the PD. The TI cylinder is dog $hit for a host of reasons. The 340 M&P is still lighter than the 642, which is light enough in its own right. I would wait for the New Lipsey 642s ultimate carry to come out. They have the new sights and are exclusively in 38 special.

Last edited by smallfry; 02/27/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had my 642 for over 10 years. Of the two, That's the one I'd pick.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would only have the 340 if I were luck into a smoking deal on one. Otherwise the my 642 rules the the day, every day

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Frankly, I'd pick neither of those choices. Search for and buy yourself an older used S&W model 38 Airweight.

It has the best of all attributes. Aluminum alloy frame, steel cylinder and barrel, hammer shroud, but still able to shoot single action if desired!

Mine will be with me until they cart me away and then my son will inherit it.

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have the M&P 340 and put a ti cylinder in it. I like it for caring unobtrusively in a front pocket and the couple ounces of weight savings does make a big difference in carrying. Making it 2 ounces lighter did not make it noticeably more difficult to shoot. In neither case would I wish to shoot 357s in it but I believe having the option to use .357 ammo in a pinch or use shot loads is an advantage to the .357 chambering.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I would roll with the 642/442 every time. The weight difference while carrying is not enough to make a difference but when it comes to shooting, you will definitely notice. I have shot all manner of aluminum and scandium versions in both .38 and .357 and I absolutely HATE the scandium guns.

A 642/442 is fine. The new Lipsey's guns with the various upgrades, to include much better sights should probably be looked at. Yep, they are more expensive, but long after the price is forgotten, you will be glad you have such a well thought out piece and one you can shoot precisely with.

I am picking one up in .32 H&R myself.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For sure Mackey the only advantage a 340 m&p has over a 642 original is the sights. The new Lipseys looks to be a winner!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Awhile back I watched a TFB vid on that Lipsey's edition and it looks sweet.

That said a couple years ago I bought a 340PD and it's been a fun little gun to shoot, once in awhile....lol

It's actually not bad with standard 38 Special ammo, at least not bad IMHO. I wouldn't go shooting 50 rounds through at one session but it's not a problem to blast through a few cylinders. I have shot standard 357 through it and one or two cylinders is enough. Any more than that and I think it would be a negative for your shooting.

Slow rolling a few standard pressure 38's through it at 7 yards?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

In fact I liked the gun well enough that I bought the 22LR version as well. Is that one the 43C?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple 357 J frames and a couple 38 J-frames. I carry my Model 19 2.5" most of all S&W's, that is on a daily basis around the farm, because there's coyotes that are getting too familiar and there's a Mountain lion or two, besides a wolf or two. I use a fairly heavy medium 357 cast bullet load in that. That 357 rides on my hip, not my pocket. I've killed 14 skunks in the daylight off my yard a couple years ago. I didn't care to see them at all but especially during the day. It is nice to have something other than a stick sometimes...

I too am looking for 38 with concealed hammer for a pocket pistol. Extra weight would not be a negative, at least for me. When I'm carrying for social events right now, I'm carrying a Bond derringer in 45 ACP which I like enough. But I love the S&W's and what you're looking at would be pretty close to perfect - my pick, 642 by a nose. I'd practice with which ever I ended up with and be happy with it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
hardway Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I would roll with the 642/442 every time. The weight difference while carrying is not enough to make a difference but when it comes to shooting, you will definitely notice. I have shot all manner of aluminum and scandium versions in both .38 and .357 and I absolutely HATE the scandium guns.

A 642/442 is fine. The new Lipsey's guns with the various upgrades, to include much better sights should probably be looked at. Yep, they are more expensive, but long after the price is forgotten, you will be glad you have such a well thought out piece and one you can shoot precisely with.

Bad azz,especially like the sights but unfortunately here in commiefornia I doubt it will be available 🤦🏻‍♂️

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The LCR has better trigger, grip and available in 9mm Luger which is considerably less expensive to practice with.
The most compact and best J-frame .38 would be Model 37 DAO. These were police contract overrun, therfore, will be difficult to find.
The Lipsey's up there looks good, the only upgrade needed is made for S&W "combat grip" which is not expensive to buy.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Awhile back I watched a TFB vid on that Lipsey's edition and it looks sweet.

That said a couple years ago I bought a 340PD and it's been a fun little gun to shoot, once in awhile....lol

It's actually not bad with standard 38 Special ammo, at least not bad IMHO. I wouldn't go shooting 50 rounds through at one session but it's not a problem to blast through a few cylinders. I have shot standard 357 through it and one or two cylinders is enough. Any more than that and I think it would be a negative for your shooting.

Slow rolling a few standard pressure 38's through it at 7 yards?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

In fact I liked the gun well enough that I bought the 22LR version as well. Is that one the 43C?

SamO,

I would suggest you try some .38 Short Colts.

They have a good bit less recoil than even standard pressure wadcutters. Make shooting J Frames much more tolerable. I am making some at the moment, and its always a struggle keeping them in stock, but I plan on fixing that. In the near future (as funds allow) I am going to get a machine dedicated just to the .38 Short Colts, so I can keep them in stock all the time. Once people try them they tend to come back and buy a BUNCH of them, grin.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If recoil is of concern there are 125 gr loads from Magtech (lead) or Speer Lawman TMJ. One should be able to find those online for about $25/50. The Speer lists < 900fps Vo probably 4" test barrel.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 360PD. Absolutely horrible with full house 357, no way to control it. With 38+p it becomes somewhat manageable, but still a handful. I'm going to get some of the 38 ammo from Lost River to see if they are better as they have been loaded specifically for similar revolvers. I fired a total of 1 (ONE) round of some old Black Talon 357 ammo I had when I first got the revolver just to see how bad it was.....it was THAT bad.

All that said, I am seldom out and about without it on me. I throw it in a vest pocket (Cinch Concealed Carry vest), regular coat pocket, or pants pocket in a Sticky holster along with whatever else I am carrying that day. When I need heavy Concealment, it's just the 360.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I picked up my Lipsey's Model 442 in 38 Special from my dealer yesterday afternoon and I am impressed with it so far.

The sights and grip are a vast improvement over a prior 642.

The trigger pull is still a little heavy and the action is very smooth.

I can't wait to get it to the range this weekend.

I think Lipsey's and S&W have a winner with this one.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

This is very good advice. A the Lipsey’s UC 32 H&R Mag is a 6 shooter with light recoil - a good option, especially for a shooter who is not willing to put up with the bark and bite of a full house 340.

The 340 PD is extremely easy to carry and very tough to shoot with 357s. It’s doable for an experienced shooter who is willing to put in the time and withstand the pain, but not particularly enjoyable. As LTC Cooper said about the Star PD, the 340 is, “a gun to be carried a lot and shot a little.”

It disappears in a pocket because of size and weight. But there’s a price to be paid when you pull the trigger. There are no free lunches in life. Unless you’re an illegal immigrant in Unkle Joe’s Amerika!! 😂

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would have been wiser to pick up .327 FM. Ruger made limited run of these 3" lightweight revolvers along with ones chambered for 9mm Luger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,899
Posts18,479,316
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.