Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hey all,
The younger ruffed grouse have survived through the brunt of winter, in decent numbers. Moreso than the past few years. I think this fall, well see better numbers.

Hard time though, no high bush cranberry or rosehip left. Rarely will you even find a track on the ground. They're only feeding/moving at the dimmest first light or last light. And hiding from predators most of midday.

Crops full of nothing but quaking aspen buds. They're real spooky even by 5pm. Open sights a no-go. Only when your eyes or best pair of binocs or rimfire scope can barely pick them up, are they finally with full crops and at a state of relaxation for hunter to get a shot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice breasts grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The bird population has been so low the last few years I just refuse to shoot them.

They did seem to have a bounce back out at farewell just a bit last fall and if it continues may shoot a few this fall.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't shot on o five years because of the low population, but they may do better this year with improved snow conditions and hopefully a nice spring.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've not shot one in closer to 20 years.

I've only seen a grand total of 2 in the last 20 years.

Stupid predators have wiped all of ours out and the state/gov seems to be more concerned with the protecting the predators than anything else.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Lotta boreal owls around this year. Smart little buggers and they take on anything big or a small, day or night. Since they're more compact, they have less mass to maintain so can live off the tiniest shrew.

They're far more agile after woodland birds than larger birds of prey.

They're so stealthy, they infiltrate a group of ruffed grouse and just hang out nearby. So the dim light, I've actually glassed a boreal owl that was perched about 6 feet from a half dozen ruffed grouse.

Nobody, or no policy will change how successful the boreals are on small game.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Lotta boreal owls around this year. Smart little buggers and they take on anything big or a small, day or night. Since they're more compact, they have less mass to maintain so can live off the tiniest shrew.

They're far more agile after woodland birds than larger birds of prey.

They're so stealthy, they infiltrate a group of ruffed grouse and just hang out nearby. So the dim light, I've actually glassed a boreal owl that was perched about 6 feet from a half dozen ruffed grouse.

Nobody, or no policy will change how successful the boreals are on small game.

Wow! That is very cool. Would love to see that dynamic. I have shot them at all four corners plus of their range and find them an incredible game bird.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There were way more Boreal owls this fall than I've ever seen. Following the sharptails around.

Maybe in coming years the grouse numbers of all kinds will increase and we can feel good about hunting em again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We have a lot of ptarmigan around the house this winter. We also hear Boreal owls most evenings as well. Obviously not a coincidence!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our grouse season opens later than most of the state [8/25 vs 8/10] but the grouse still haven't dispersed and sit in coveys picking gravel in early morning. We have a certain ethnic group that patrols the road at dawn and ground sluices the entire litter. I go back where you have to work a for birds in later fall and that eliminates that bunch of [bleep].

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VernAK
Our grouse season opens later than most of the state [8/25 vs 8/10] but the grouse still haven't dispersed and sit in coveys picking gravel in early morning. We have a certain ethnic group that patrols the road at dawn and ground sluices the entire litter. I go back where you have to work a for birds in later fall and that eliminates that bunch of [bleep].

На здоровье!

Or the other ones? 😏

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
nice

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I get along with the former Russians fine generally. But they have no ethics on game and could care less. They will wonder where it all went one day. They need to learn and or be taught.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I traveled twice to Manley last summer- lots of spruce grouse coveys along the Elliot both times. Very few grouse here on the Kenai- our cold wet spring likely did a number on the nesting success. I didn't go out at all for them, and haven't seen any around the house even.

Some years ago F&G introduced Ruffies here on the Kenai, from Valley or Interior stock. I think I've only seen one since.

We have at least 3 large resident owls in the neighborhood- what kind I don't know - I hear them hooting back and forth. I think Great Grey or Horned - night hooters.. Did see a Northern Hawk Owl a few days ago while walking the dog. Had to look it up...

Another edit. Listened to owl hoots. Mostly what I hear is the Horned Owl - but occaisionally the Great Grey too. So now I know...

The Yard Hare(s) better watch out!

Last edited by las; 02/28/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Las,
Them great horned owls are a big fkn bird! One of them flew off with a small dog into the woods coupla years back. Was in the news paper.

Years ago during the snowshoe hare boom, a great horned owl got clipped by a car, chasing a hare cross the road. I stopped to check on him, I was 80-100 yards behind the car that hit him. Another car stopped behind me. One of the owl's pupils were bigger than the other. Was dazed for a bit tipsy, bu still upright.

I was trying to get him off the road so he wouldn't get run over again. Sat with him a bit, after few minutes threw my carhart jacket over him and wrapped him up. Holy fk, he started rattling his beak, and it was right near my fkn neck while I carried him. He never bit me. He relaxed a bit over time, a really kind bird, not all wild and frantic like a damn race husky.

Built him a covered perch(keep the cold rain off him) and he hung around the dog lot for a while but couldn't fly. One night during a heavy fog, he left the dog lot. But stayed around the local area. Anyhow, real kind bird. Once he realized I was helping him, no aggression whatsoever.

Called a coupla bird rescuers, nobody was interested in picking him up. Maybe too far away, I dunno?

Sometimes, he'd get tired of me checking on him, and turn his head better than 180 degrees.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/28/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I traveled twice to Manley last summer- lots of spruce grouse coveys along the Elliot both times. Very few grouse here on the Kenai- our cold wet spring likely did a number on the nesting success. I didn't go out at all for them, and haven't seen any around the house even.

Some years ago F&G introduced Ruffies here on the Kenai, from Valley or Interior stock. I think I've only seen one since.

We have at least 3 large resident owls in the neighborhood- what kind I don't know - I hear them hooting back and forth. I think Great Grey or Horned - night hooters.. Did see a Northern Hawk Owl a few days ago while walking the dog. Had to look it up...

Another edit. Listened to owl hoots. Mostly what I hear is the Horned Owl - but occaisionally the Great Grey too. So now I know...

If I want to blast spruce grouse, I head for the Elliot between the Minto turnoff and Manley for the first few hours of the day. I usually will see 30+ along that stretch.

Ruffed? They're around. I usually get 4-5 a year goofing off around Fairbanks. I never really target them. Cleary Summit and surrounding creek bottoms have a fair number. Anywhere there's aspens.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Las,
Them great horned owls are a big fkn bird! One of them flew off with a small dog into the woods coupla years back. Was in the news paper.

I don't believe it made the newspaper, but many years back when we lived in Salcha, a big owl attempted to make off with our Mini Daschund one late February evening. Fortunately for him, our other dog, a Lab/Dalmatian mix, spotted the owl coming in and hit it at the same time it hit the Mini. The owl took off up into the trees and Ranger had himself an owl feather. The little guy ended up with a gash on his back, but avoided being owl chow thanks to his buddy. We used to hear those owls hooting all night long usually starting sometime in February.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by las

If I want to blast spruce grouse, I head for the Elliot between the Minto turnoff and Manley for the first few hours of the day. I usually will see 30+ along that stretch.

Ruffed? They're around. I usually get 4-5 a year goofing off around Fairbanks. I never really target them. Cleary Summit and surrounding creek bottoms have a fair number. Anywhere there's aspens.

Interesting on the spruce. They vary enough that some years we just don't shoot em. Just makes no sense when you saw 20 or so in an area and then see 2. Pretty common variances too for where we are.

Ruffs. I"ve not seen or shot a ruffed grouse around Delta in years. Couldn't make myself shoot one if I did until I see numbers back where they are supposed to be again.

Its kind of like quail to me. They can vary a lot in population. When its a good cycle we enjoy them. When its not we leave em alone.
After all its not like any of us NEED a grouse to survive on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,898
Posts18,479,278
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.