Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by remingtonman
Originally Posted by memtb
The same as for the previous 33 years, and my only hunting rifle….my Win. Model 70, 375 AI. Unless, I decide to use my handgun. I guess it will depend on the terrain that we’re hunting in! memtb

That is a big round for elk. Is this in case you bump into a cantankerous grizzly?

No it's for his pathetic ego

??? He doesn't strike me as having a big ego. Maybe he just likes to the .375.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I plan on carrying my fly rod this elk season. Yes - blanked again!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
I plan on carrying my fly rod this elk season. Yes - blanked again!

Where will you be fly fishing? I might be there also unless NM comes through.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
The same as for the previous 33 years, and my only hunting rifle….my Win. Model 70, 375 AI. Unless, I decide to use my handgun. I guess it will depend on the terrain that we’re hunting in! memtb

That is a big round for elk. Is this in case you bump into a cantankerous grizzly?

??? He doesn't strike me as having a big ego. Maybe he just likes to the .375.

He is a clown! He never shoots! Bet it's been yearS since he fired a round through his "elk gun"!

(Sorry for the over use of the !!!, just following in the clown's footsteps)

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by centershot
Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 143gr ELD-X.

Won't be using that combo again. What a chit show. Took 6 shots to kill this funky looking bull. First shot right in the pocket at 200yds, second shot just a bit back but still in vitals as he was moving out about 250yds, 3rd shot clipped the right rear hawk as he was really moving out and dropping out of sight at that point. Searched around for 20 minutes (full expecting to find a dead bull) then found where he had dropped down crossed a road. He left skid marks on the frozen ground where he stopped and got ready to jump a fence. Found fresh hair on the fence so we knew it was him - but, he had gone onto private property. Made a big loop out and around to stay on public land and finally caught his tracks again. Saw him at about 50 yards - frontal shot between 2 tightly spaced pine trees. Popped him again in the neck/shoulder area and he ran off again. Caught up again and put 2 more in him from 50 yards broadside before he finally dropped. 143gr 6.5mm ELD-X's will be reserved for deer bullets from now on. Bummer because they shoot tiny groups out of my Tikka.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I sure would like to see any post mortem pics you have of the entrance/exits, or any feedback on where the bullets hit and what they did.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You are just a pathetic nasty person aren't you Nuevo?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by colorado

You are just a pathetic nasty person aren't you Nuevo?

No, I'm honest.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
HJ, you are a fricking jerk and a troll. You offer nothing but smart ass remarks. You probably haven't hunted anything but attention all your miserable worthless life. You remind me of a little man with a big mouth.

Last edited by WyoCoyoteHunter; 02/25/24.

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
HJ, you are a fricking jerk and a troll. You offer nothing but smart ass remarks. You probably haven't hunted anything but attention all your miserable worthless life. You remind me of a little man with a big mouth.

Holy s hit, Columbo figured it out lol. Duh. Still doesn't change how stupid memtb!!! is...or you.

I hunt as much as I can, maybe not as much as buzz, but I only accrue 15hrs of vacation a month for now so I can only spend about 4 weeks a yr plus weekends/holidays hunting. Maybe when I'm old as f uck with no job I'll be able to bump those numbers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I should have enough points to be archery hunting elk in one of Oregon’s big three elk units - so Hoyt Ultratec bow. Probably shoot a blacktail with one of my Kimber sa 84m’s.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A combination that just plain works, my .300 Weatherby Vanguard with 180 gr Barnes TTSX bullets.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Elk are more of a bucket list item than a "run up a string of victories" item. I've already killed elk with a centerfire rifle. Check. So .. handgun next? If so, probably Ruger Bisley .454.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

No sir, it’s the only hunting rifle that use. I built it many years ago thinking that Africa and Alaska was in my future…..it wasn’t.

It’s worked quite well for many years, from the occasional coyote to moose. I simply believe in firearm familiarity…..thinking that I will/should be more proficient with it. Hopefully continued use will help justify it’s expense, plus I like it! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/28/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Thanks WHC. I appreciate it 👍, but I try to ignore him. Much like picking a festering sore…..it only gets worse! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/28/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
memtb, I understsand. He does nothing for the site, all his remarks are negative. I doubt he has ever hunted anything except attention.. A real dipshit.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
memtb, I understsand. He does nothing for the site, all his remarks are negative. I doubt he has ever hunted anything except attention.. A real dipshit.

Aren’t we supposed to exhibit empathy for the mentally ill! 🤪 memtb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Aren’t we supposed to exhibit empathy for the mentally ill! 🤪 memtb

Thats!! Really!!! Rich!!! Coming from you, clown.

How many rounds have you shot out of that 375ai in the past year?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably go with my new to me Rem 700 in 270win. I have never owned one before and want to get something with it. Of course my Rem 600 in 338Fed gets used every year. If the weather is nice, I may take my late father's Sav 99 in 303 Sav too. My annual trip to PA will be in archery season this year so my Mathews V3X will be with me at that time.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
memtb, poor dipshit, he doesn't even make a good troll. His home area is a big town in old Mexico. He probably thinks a couple clips from his ak47 is how everyone hunts..
Just so he understands, the three rifles I used this fall, I bought in the 90's.. At that time I worked up handloads for all three. This fall in each one I fire one or two shots to verify the point of impact was correct. After that my antelope was one shot 300yards. My deer one shot 200 yards. My elk one shot 426 yards. When you are a skilled shooter you don't have to blast dozens of rounds before a hunt, just check the point of aim and your drop tables, and your set. Of course in the off season I shoot several thousand rounds throught various rifles because I enjoy shooting.. He doesn't understand that there were hunters who never fired their rifle from one season to another. They got their deer every year because they were good woodsmen and good shots. Anybody but in beginning troll would understand that!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
WCH, Well said sir!

I’m not certain what caused his/her/it’s extreme displeasure with me…..I guess that it’s a cross I must bear! 😁

My hunting rifle procedure is similar to yours……though I may shoot it a bit more than you do with yours. However, your annual shooting quantity far exceeds mine! I really need to shoot more, but simply don’t…..and of late, I’m really cheep, hating to burn components at their replacement costs. And then, hoping they can be replaced.

By the way…..my rifle too was received in ‘90. It cost a bit more than I could really afford at the time, but is pretty close to what I wanted for my rifle/cartridge that might hunt any big game animal across the planet.

I do, as Barnes improves/modifies it’s bullets for my rifle, try to develop a load for the new improved bullets. I was several years late with these new LRX’s as after begging Barnes and waiting several years for the LRX (or similar) to be offered, I gave up and bought a bunch of a bullet that I really didn’t want. Then…….they bring out the bullet that I wanted! 🤬

Those bullets served me well, but for Christmas of ‘22 my wife bought me a bunch of the LRX’s. I developed a load this past August, but didn’t get to try one on game this past fall! ☹️

I’ll continue to attempt to ignore him, hopefully he can find a hobby to occupy his time! memtb

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.