Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Chisos
The land between Amarillo and Dumas already looks the sand dunes are taking over due to fires about 5 or so years ago.
Is a lot of that in CRP?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wind should change direction today. It will start blowing more from the east sometime today and then turn to come from the south around 6 PM this evening. I sure hope that helps get this thing put out.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Yesterday was 90 degrees, this morning was 20 degrees, sky is blue here, 12 miles from Texas line, little fire department’s got back to barns between midnight and two AM, those boys been fighting fires for two days, Monday was around Wheeler, Tx, , I just finished feeding and a black wall of smoke west towards Canadian, hadn’t heard about people or stock yet. Pray for rain that’s coming.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The wind should change direction today. It will start blowing more from the east sometime today and then turn to come from the south around 6 PM this evening. I sure hope that helps get this thing put out.

Yep. It’s still a long ways from me, but with the 40 to 50 mph north winds this AM, you can get a whiff of the smoke now. 😬

FOX News reported today that:
“ Operations at a nuclear weapons facility outside of Amarillo were halted after flames got dangerously close to the property. Late Tuesday, Pantex said all the facility's employees were accounted for, and firefighters were in structure protection mode, but the property remains secure.”
“And that at least 570,000 acres have now been consumed by the 5 different wildlife’s that are going on at the same time in the TX panhandle region.”

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/28/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by GregW
I think it's an all hands on deck from all states kinda deal. Winds blowing 60 have gone from west to out of north. Canadian, TX may be saved but Pampa is in direct path...

Just talked to my buddy in Canadian, actually all of Canadian evacuated and he is at his daughter's place in Canyon. He said he personally knows of 30-40 people who lost their homes, and many businesses got scorched. He fears he lost his small (100 head) herd of cattle as well but won't know until tommorrow. They definitely need some prayers up there.

Dang! Hate to hear that! Always enjoyed stopping at the great little Steakhouse in Canadian, when passing through there. Prayers sent!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
We are 50-70 miles south of the Canadian/Wheeler fires. Both of my boys were out on mutual aid last night fighting the fire SE of Canadian (Near Allison). They were on that fire from about 10 pm until 4 am. Departments taking shifts, helping each other out.

The wind had been west for 2 days. Folks talk like this is one fire, it is not. It is a dozen (at least) different fires, spread in an east/west line 100 miles long. When the wind shifted to the north, it started pushing that east/west line to the south. At this point over 500,000 acres burned. That is nearly 800 square miles for the folks who think of area in that way. Parts of several towns burned. Dumas, Fritch, Canadian that I know of, maybe others. Lots of farm and ranch house, barns, and so on burned out in the country. I think "dozens" of buildings destroyed is very much on the low side. I have been around here a long time, seen lots of bad fire seasons. This one may be the worst I have seen. At least as bad as 2006. I guess we will know in a few days. I don't know how to even attempt to estimate the number of livestock lost, but it is probably in the tens of thousands of head.

Last night when the wind shifted south the smoke was so thick here it was like fog, 60 miles away. Ash and dead cinders were falling out of the air like in the volcano movies. The highway was a solid stream of cars and pickups headed south, evacuating. Many pulling trailers with horses and whatever livestock they could load. Several places here in town with evacuees, our activity center had about 75 folks in in it. They say 30 miles south of us at Childress the parking lots of Wal-Mart and all the grocery stores were packed. Here in town the line at every gas pump was 8-10 vehicles deep.

Angus, anything we can do you let me know. If I don't have the resources myself I can find who does, pretty easy. Hay. stock trailers, whatever. Know a guy with semis and horses who will come load and haul.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Last 2 days wind has been to bad to fly and have air support. Today the wind is way down and I have heard at least some is on the way. Wind is down, temps are down, and humidity is up. That should really help to start getting a handle on things. Maybe some rain in the morning. Pray for that. A lot.

Lots of resources being funneled up here.

As far as Pantex goes, anything of importance is deep underground. Just infrastructure on top. And no doubt they have backup to the backups on power. The area may be down but I seriously doubt they are.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks JTP, my cattle are fine, small world, I hunt over around Allison, I have dual lifetime licenses, was not going to leave the greatest hunt state in country after 40 years, 😁 and move to ranch, small world, like I said these young fire chasers are my heroes. Boys are headed this way, as I’m headed to OKC for open heart at daylight in morning, y’all be safe!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Size has grown in total acres to 650,000 acres now.

Damn.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus55
Thanks JTP, my cattle are fine, small world, I hunt over around Allison, I have dual lifetime licenses, was not going to leave the greatest hunt state in country after 40 years, 😁 and move to ranch, small world, like I said these young fire chasers are my heroes. Boys are headed this way, as I’m headed to OKC for open heart at daylight in morning, y’all be safe!!!

More prayers for your heart procedure as well.

Please update us when you can.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
GregW: Prayers indeed - that no Texans will be harmed/kill't in this amazing outbreak.
Come on rain!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Good luck with your surgery. Glad you are not burned out. You'd probably know the place I hunt up there if you've been there a while.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Raider, family been here 140 years 🤠, I may know where, knew you hunted up here somewhere, thanks

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Inciweb just updated, 850,000 acres now. You local guys hang in there...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

More prayers for your heart procedure as well.

Please update us when you can.
The same from here. Hoping all the best possible outcome for you folks.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Inciweb just updated, 850,000 acres now. You local guys hang in there...

Holy Schidt!

That fire is hauling ass!

Prayers everyone stays safe.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
With the amount of cattle country its burning and how fast its moving, I suspect livestock losses will be astronomical.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
With the amount of cattle country its burning and how fast its moving, I suspect livestock losses will be astronomical.

Awful

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Nothing harder to look at then burned livestock, maybe only stock trailer turned over with horses, stays with ya awhile , horrible

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay safe Texans and Okies. Wind driven fire is no joke.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (257Bob, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.