-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those of you who hunt off a tripod regularly: what tripod and head are you using?

How are you mounting what weight rifle on it, and is that stable enough to leave the rifle hanging when you aren't supporting it?

Just looking for something reasonably portable that would work well standing or sitting and everything in between to accommodate different height kids. Fairly quick to adjust / unlock to pan around, quick to lock back in place, etc. Something stable and strong enough to hold an 8ish LB rifle setup on its own would be great but don't want to carry around a boat anchor size head to do that. Reasonably tactile controls for using in the dark or wearing NV would be good as well.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have 2 of the Bog Death Grip models. Price is not horrible and they work. I clamp either a bolt action (8+ lbs) or an AR in mine. The bolt gun will lock down level and stay put. The AR clamp point is farther forward so it won't sit level, tips the muzzle up as far as it can. Not a problem though, just level it out and pull the trigger. Pan is tight enough to be steady when target is located but not so tight you can't scan to locate it. I don't like scanning with the rifle so I use a monocular to scan with. I bought the 2nd one for when someone goes with me to night hunt. Then I take both of them to the Prairie Dog towns too. They work great for that as well. They are stable and can be adjusted for height with no problem. A little heavy but I've carried mine on on every night hunt for the last 3 seasons.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I am new to tripods but I wound up with a Bog Deathgrip Infinite CF. The clamp is on a ball head so it pans easily every direction. The clamp fits on an Arca base so I can remove it to save a little weight and I bought an Arca M-Lok plate for my night gun.

My night gun is an 18” AR-15 with the Wraith 4K Mini, IR Illuminator, suppressor, external battery pack and a 20 round mag I’m sure it’s pushing 12 lbs. I can tight the ball head knob and it supports the gun just fine. I like the setup more than I thought I would.

I first bought the aluminum version and thought it’s heavy but it’ll work.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
But the day after I got it, I walked into a store and saw the carbon fiber version. I couldn’t believe how much lighter it was so I bought it and sent the aluminum version back. CF is worth the extra money.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Not shown but after walking a few rough miles on my next outing, I used a Proctor WOTG sling and hooked it up on one leg. Now I can fold it up and sling it over my back leaving my hands free.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
I have two Bogs, one with ball head and one without. Both nice but don't trust the ball head if I let go of rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
My night gun is an 18” AR-15 with the Wraith 4K Mini, IR Illuminator, suppressor, external battery pack and a 20 round mag I’m sure it’s pushing 12 lbs. I can tight the ball head knob and it supports the gun just fine. I like the setup more than I thought I would.

Good to know, thanks.

These would be for my 2 sons and I, so need them to adjust for height. Thinking we’d mostly use them with light bolt rifles…Kimber Montana or a Fix so 8LB or less, but if they could hold heavier semis it would be nice. Still fooling around with our night setups but something that could handle the weight of a SCAR or an SR25 with LPVO and clip on thermal and light weight can would be good to have. Those go around 12.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 17CalFan
The AR clamp point is farther forward so it won't sit level, tips the muzzle up as far as it can.

With the heavy stuff we’d use on these we can mount the plates closer to the center of mass, I think.

A couple of the bolt rifles we might use would just fix the plate to the forward sling stud, but as long as it doesn’t tip the tripod we could do as you describe and just pull it up to shoot.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have two Bog Death Grips. Used them for two seasons now. no complaints. They work as they should with both bolt guns and AR's. I use it with a crossbow too.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had a bog and upgraded to this for night hunting

https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/s...t-stalker-pro-shooting-tripod-ball-head/

0 regrets

Holds a 13 lbs night rig while I scan.

Use arca rails to directly attract to increase stability. Have a hog saddle for my regular stocked rifles and that works great on Prairie dogs.

I can lay down, sit, kneel, or stand. It'll do it all.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The rubberized vice or clamp works pretty good as long as you use your head. My Montana’s get clamped down just in front of the trigger guard. It’s not as tapered there and the balance is good.

You don’t need to mount a plate at all or at least not out at the forward sling stud.

The bottom pic I posted above has the AR in the clamp just in front of the magwell. I have it pushed muzzle down cause I don’t like walking back from retrieving what I shot looking down the muzzle.

Last edited by TWR; 01/30/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Another vote for the bogpod death grip. I’m sure there’s better but more expensive out there but it works great for what I do

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TjIA

0 regrets

Use arca rails to directly attract to increase stability. Have a hog saddle for my regular stocked rifles and that works great on Prairie dogs.

This is the one that I use also and Tom the co owner is a heck of a nice guy too.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Originally Posted by TjIA

0 regrets

This is the one that I use also and Tom the co owner is a heck of a nice guy too.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use the nightgoggles t stalker with. a arca mount secures to the gun. I can mount it without a light quickly.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Carbon bog pod death grip for me. I know there is nicer but for me it does fine

Think i need a bigger gun
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use a "Piglite" CF4 carbon fiber from Shadow Tech:

https://stores.hogsaddle.com/piglite-cf4-carbon-fiber-shooting-tripod/

with their GNN XB-44DL Ball Head

https://stores.hogsaddle.com/gnn-xb-44dl-ball-head/

A little over $600 together and slightly under 5lbs.

I've added Arca rails to my longer range hunting rifles and to my precision rifles and AR15s. I've also got their Hog Saddle, but it's got some weight to it, and just not as fast as clamping with the rail.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For the non-Arca equipped rifles, it's pretty quick and steady, just to put a bag on the head:

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (7887mm08, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 35, 69sportfury, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,517
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.