Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Seafire has no love affair with the truth.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by 160user
Big gators can eat pretty much anything they want.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One of the things I miss about my days in Minnesota. I think the biggest northern I caught was up on Lake of the Woods... about a 45 pound fish. I've seen some caught over in Wisconsin, over by Taylor's Falls, that were in the 60 lb range.

Had some friends, who's toy poodle fell off their boat into the lake, and a 60 pound or so northern, just came up and swallowed the poodle whole. Of course you could imagine how hysterical the wife was.... I think he husband enjoyed that tho.. he never liked that poodle. he was a big dog kind of guy.

Get out of the twin cities, a lot of great folks in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Thanks Seafire, care to expand?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Salmonella
My son and I have caught some toothy Northern N/A fish.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice fish.

Probably some records if you had longer arms.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Originally Posted by rost495
Never weighed one. Never heard many that did. It was measure em and turn em back mostly.

50 inches is the goal in AK. In the right places its not hard to hit 50. At least some years ago out in the bush.
This. The Novi has pike to 60" in it. When they swim to your bait they do not make a vee-wake... there are 5 or 6 wakes headed in your direction 😉

*Nowitna*

Do you fish with seafire?

Have you ever fished the Yukon, Nowitna, or Koyukuk?

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
[quote=Salmonella]My son and I have caught some toothy Northern N/A fish.

It's not a proper 24HCF fishing thread until Sal shows up and busts out a few pics of he and his kid long-arming the shyt out of something. wink

Here's a striped bass from last season that weighed 34 pounds and change, I seem to recall. I sure would like to see what a poodle eating 60 lb pike looks like...

Amusing thread.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice fish Kamo, "if you had longer arms, that'd be a record," LOL. What did you get it on?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
long arming ain't lying, it's just exageratin. Kind of an art form.

My daughter caught a Northern once that took a perch she had hooked. Once the Northern was netted we realized it wasn't hooked, just wouldn't let go. They are serious.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by blairvt
headed back in June. Ontario. Caught 100's of pike over a weeks time. 41" was biggest. What would that weigh?

That's a fatty...probably 23-25 pounds. Beauty fish.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sure wish Shefire would come back and defend his honor, I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

...also need to know what the secret 60lb lure is...better not be a sucker rig, fuckin' cheaters anyway.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
long arming ain't lying, it's just exageratin. Kind of an art form.

Extraordinarily large or otherwise impressive catches speak for themselves and need no exaggeration or manipulation of images. In fact, I think the shameless long-arming sort of cheapens an otherwise fantastic catch. Big fish and pretty fish just don't need it. Not to mention that it'd be a very neat trick trying to hold some caliber fish with locked elbows...

wink

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
[quote=Salmonella]My son and I have caught some toothy Northern N/A fish.

It's not a proper 24HCF fishing thread until Sal shows up and busts out a few pics of he and his kid long-arming the shyt out of something. wink

LMAO! I was thinking the same thing.

They’ve sure got the long-arming down to an “art form”. 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by 160user
Big gators can eat pretty much anything they want.

One of the things I miss about my days in Minnesota. I think the biggest northern I caught was up on Lake of the Woods... about a 45 pound fish. I've seen some caught over in Wisconsin, over by Taylor's Falls, that were in the 60 lb range.

Had some friends, who's toy poodle fell off their boat into the lake, and a 60 pound or so northern, just came up and swallowed the poodle whole. Of course you could imagine how hysterical the wife was.... I think he husband enjoyed that tho.. he never liked that poodle. he was a big dog kind of guy.

Get out of the twin cities, a lot of great folks in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Thanks Seafire, care to expand?

Just to be clear, I never claimed mine was 60 pounds! I never weighed it but I did measure it at 46 1/2 inches. I measured the girth too but I don't remember it off the top of my head. It was by FAR my biggest snot rocket that I estimated at 32 pounds or so. I need to find this secret honey hole that is lousy with 45-60 pounders.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup to many times to count ...lol ... buddy would holler log log log.. so I slow the boat down a little ...but..
the log would swim away. ! Btw....i got minto for a back yard, summer for last we were having a hard time ...not.. catching pike 36/42 ... Sad chit once again as not enough little guys coming along ..so fishing them is going to fall on its face for awhile again.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There'd be a lot more of them big Pike around of people would put them back ...
just lifting them up by the gills like that breaks their back from their own weight... they don't know their weight they're neutrally buoyant,.... Along with them guys pulling them through the ice in the winter... 0° with a little breeze freezes her eyes they're all wet and soggy you got them up there taking pictures look at me look at me.... they don't fare too well....[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] this took the hook WAY in ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
I’ve caught pike in the interior that had two whitefish in its throat and still hit a pixie.

Just thought the video was cool is all.
Fish are like peoples that way .

Manny folks would eat a steak dinner, with some dessert and coffee afterward and still take one of those mints from the jar at the counter on the way out.

Had a friend in a bass tournament I was fishing in down in SoCal many years ago take the prize for the day with a 12lb largemouth. Fishing near a bridge with a 3" or so ShadRap. The bass ended up having a 2.5lb catfish in its gullet, partially digesting on the head end in the gut.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atvalaska
There'd be a lot more of them big Pike around of people would put them back ...
just lifting them up by the gills like that breaks their back from their own weight... they don't know their weight they're neutrally buoyant,.... Along with them guys pulling them through the ice in the winter... 0° with a little breeze freezes her eyes they're all wet and soggy you got them up there taking pictures look at me look at me.... they don't fare too well.

Growing up, the older skandahooveeans, and krauts would shame you just about to death if they heard you had tried to spear a 20+ pounder. "Leave the big ones alone damnit!". It's funny what you remember. Northerns were rarely in danger with my spear skillset.

Last edited by Nollij; 02/29/24.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bobmar
A length to weight conversion table I have used states a 41 inch pike would weigh 17.71 lbs. I’ve found that to be a little light based on actually weighing on a digital scale, fish I had measured. Your 41 is chunky! That same table states that a 50 would weigh 32.73 lbs. I don’t have any experience with 50 inch pike! I’ve always thought of them as 200 inch whitetails! I’ve never seen either.
IME&O that chart would be wildly off on pike. They vary so much.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That would be a pretty cool thing to witness and a 6 pound blood thirsty wild rainbow would be a great catch. It sounds like the trout in the Good News River could be the Alaska version of the Siberian Taimen?…. I wonder how much DNA they share that is not present in other populations?

Mousing for trout would be atypical fun!👍🏼
Mousing for rainbows locally is a big thing. Lots of variety in fly patterns...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
For the really big pike, use a reflective highway sign with a big circle hook bolted to it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
For the really big pike, use a reflective highway sign with a big circle hook bolted to it.
are you saying instead of a mouse imitation fly then I should be using a musk ox calf imitation?

some of us don't chunk iron for fishing, just feathers and schiedt.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 3,282 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,109
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.