Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thought I'd pass this on in case anyone is considering a cellular trail camera setup. Picked up a Barn owl cellular camera in November '22 to keep an eye on a hunting property. They're one of the more expensive options, and supposed to be better. Setup was fairly easy for both the camera and solar panel. Transmitted well for a month or two. Then it died randomly. They sent me another one in April '23.

Set that one up, and things were going great for a few months... until the same thing happened. It went from a 100% battery indication to 0% in one day. Then offline for weeks. Then I manually recharged the solar panel battery. Worked for another week or two and then it died again. Then this morning, it randomly started sending pictures again with a 100% battery indication.

I asked to return it and customer support said to kick rocks. So, I've got what appears to be a paperweight, as I'm certainly not paying a subscription fee for an inoperative camera to sit on a tree with the hope it may decide to start working.

Bottom line, both Barn Owl cameras I have received were junk. Avoid unless you want a game like the one they've had me playing.

Screenshots here for anyone interested.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm running six Moultrie Edge Cellular Cams, four of those for a year this March. Nary a hitch nor glitch!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Them and Reconyx is why I just go with cheaper stuff now, its all the same shot in the dark garbage. Try shelling out $700 for a Reconyx rig and being told “no refund”

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Try shelling out $700 for a Reconyx rig and being told “no refund”

That's almost where I am with these dweebs now. $600 ish bucks for a camera that has worked for about six weeks out of the last 18 months...

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Spy point is what I use

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Spy point is what I use

Same here and they're relatively cheap.
So I don't feel so bad about chucking them should they fail or if a bear eats one.

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have 1 SPYPOINT and 2 Tactacam. One Tactacam was draining batteries in a week, sent it in under warranty and they sent me a new one as a replacement. Both brands do pretty good as security/ wildlife cameras.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm cheap....use $50 cameras from the Bezos store

They work...but even at the 'low' setting I still get many wind pics

Seems the deer & elk can hear it snapping pics

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Problems are a by-product of cell cameras. Mostly batteries... Especially in areas with poor cell service, and the camera is set to send very hi definition photos.

The camera sends over the cell provider and if the signal is poor, it takes a long time to send the photo, thus draining the batteries quicker.

I use external batteries on some of mine hooked up to sturdy solar chargers and big 12v batteries. They work flawlessly.

Been running Stealth Cam for years. Not had one go down for the count yet.... Knock on wood.

Photo of dove taking off... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like the browning cell cams, tactacam is total junk that eats up batteries in a few weeks!!!

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've had amazing luck with the cheap Muddy and Wildview cams at under $40 each, but I really like the immediate gratification afforded by the almost real time uploading of images by the Moultrie Edge cellular cameras. They take 16 double A batteries, but those last about 9 months in my cams.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/29/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I use external batteries on some of mine hooked up to sturdy solar chargers and big 12v batteries. They work flawlessly.

Mine has an external solar charger and battery bank. Appears to be worthless. Might try a spypoint.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A couple years ago, the Spypoint’s were constantly having issues with “updates”. Haven’t had any issues in the last 12-18 months.

Not saying they’re “great”, but they DO have a program that offers 100 free cell photos a month. Not enough for a “game” cam, but for use as an inexpensive “security” cam, they work fine, and the free program pays for the price of the camera, in 12 months.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OXN939

Mine has an external solar charger and battery bank. Appears to be worthless. Might try a spypoint.

Those cheap battery banks and small solar chargers are chinese junk. I had 2 of them go tits up on me in no time.

I get a 20 watt, 12 volt solar trickle charger and hook it to a lawnmower battery, then run the cable from the battery to the camera.

No power issues after that. Even if I switched camera brands, I'd still hook them to power that way.

My cameras that don't take hundreds of photos a day, I just run alkaline AA's in them. Those last at least a couple of months.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OXN939

Those cheap battery banks and small solar chargers are chinese junk. I had 2 of them go tits up on me in no time.

I get a 20 watt, 12 volt solar trickle charger and hook it to a lawnmower battery, then run the cable from the battery to the camera.

No power issues after that. Even if I switched camera brands, I'd still hook them to power that way.

My cameras that don't take hundreds of photos a day, I just run alkaline AA's in them. Those last at least a couple of months.

Yeah it appears everything from this kit was cheap Chinese junk... which sucks, considering that it was the most expensive option.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,380
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.