Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
If you want to see how fast it moved, here is game-cam video footage...If someone can figure out how to imbed it......it's freaking wicked.

https://www.instagram.com/themendotaranch/reel/C38IwBGuX9k/

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is a reliable link for various types of donations:

https://agrilifetoday.tamu.edu/2024...upport-texas-panhandle-wildfire-victims/

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 45_100
On the subject of federal fire fighting agencies, look up Yarnell Hill Fire and tell me how efficient they are. Fire started by a lightning strike several miles from town. Yarnell volunteer fire fighters showed up to put out the fire and BLM told them to stand down, it is on BLM land we will deal with it in the morning. Nineteen firefighters made the ultimate sacrifice and burned about half the town. Mostly elderly people, many with no insurance. Government doesn’t create or solve anything.

I think Yarnell was a State fire.

Late afternoon on June 28, the Yarnell Hill Fire started high on a ridge west of Yarnell, Arizona
when lightning ignited multiple fires. The fire, which was under the jurisdiction of the Arizona
State Forestry Division, started in a boulder field in steep terrain with no vehicle access; it was
about one-half acre in size. Responders saw minimal fire activity or spread potential, and they
had several safety concerns with putting firefighters on the hill overnight. In consideration of
these and other factors, the Incident Commander prepared for full suppression on the following
morning.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B36DIycSgbzWSUtjNkl1Z2ROT0k/view

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by 45_100
On the subject of federal fire fighting agencies, look up Yarnell Hill Fire and tell me how efficient they are. Fire started by a lightning strike several miles from town. Yarnell volunteer fire fighters showed up to put out the fire and BLM told them to stand down, it is on BLM land we will deal with it in the morning. Nineteen firefighters made the ultimate sacrifice and burned about half the town. Mostly elderly people, many with no insurance. Government doesn’t create or solve anything.

I think Yarnell was a State fire.

Late afternoon on June 28, the Yarnell Hill Fire started high on a ridge west of Yarnell, Arizona
when lightning ignited multiple fires. The fire, which was under the jurisdiction of the Arizona
State Forestry Division, started in a boulder field in steep terrain with no vehicle access; it was
about one-half acre in size. Responders saw minimal fire activity or spread potential, and they
had several safety concerns with putting firefighters on the hill overnight. In consideration of
these and other factors, the Incident Commander prepared for full suppression on the following
morning.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B36DIycSgbzWSUtjNkl1Z2ROT0k/view

This is correct. Granite Mountain was/is the only State/FD funded Hotshot crew in the nation. The rest are FS, BLKM and BIA. Utah DOC used to have the "Flame 'N Go's" but I don't believe they do any more.

Last edited by 160user; 02/29/24.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by jlboykin
Texas Forest Service is a joke. At least the feds know how to fight a fire. Feds typically fall under local control when they show up to fight on private land.

Unbelievable that a fire can get to this size in under two days. A fire moving that fast is almost impossible to fight. I had a friend that was missing a sister, I think they’ve accounted for her now.
TX forest service has been great help locally on fires. Responded quickly when called and provided good help and assets.

Feds. Well I wouldn't trust the feds to much of anything. But maybe the fire part is better than the rest.

I retired about 18 months ago but I have worked with TFS many times over the last 32 years. They were great to work with and had good people. Several things come into play here: Texas needs to request the help of Federal fire fighters and aircraft, most of which are 2 days or more away and this is considered the "off season" for the Westerns folks so most are taking critical training right now. Aircraft are in maintenance or being inspected this time of the year. Once the winds hit 25-30 MPH, even aircraft aren't effective. Many times I have watched things burn and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. One memorable fire similar to Texas but in timber, I lost 93 homes in a single day. I put 136 people into the woods that morning and they all came out that night so I considered it a win.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the links

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My oldest son after fighting the Smokehouse Creek fire in sub-freezing temps, covered in ash and ice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know they have to be bone tired!

Every one of them are heroes!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Since I am unfamiliar with the terrain, this may be a stupid question but how come they are not plowing firebreaks? Is it to rough of country?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
my guesses:

fire moving too fast, would need a firebreak wider than you could build in time (or get permission)

grass fire in 20 mph wind probably throw a spot fire half a mile or more.

fire fighters could say better

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My heart goes out to all the people affected by this disaster and the firefighters for their sacrifice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Horrible situation.

LOL
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just called a lady and got my 16 year old daughter signed up for the Orphaned Calf Disaster Relief Operation. It is a program that takes orphaned calves and raises them for the ranchers until until they can be returned home at a later date. We just got done with stock show season so we have open pens at our barn. My daughter has worked for some lamb and goat breeders for several years, has delivered babies, raised them on bottles, doctored them, everything. We have taken care of quite a few of both goat babies and calves here at our barn so this is right up her alley. My daughters heart is huge when it comes to these little babies and she will fight for their lives with a vengeance. I have seen her sleep in the pen with one all night before to save its life.

I guess now we just wait on a call. The lady said ranchers are just now starting to get out and about on the properties. She expects within the next day or two she will start getting calls with needs and will give us a call.

She is managing the part on getting the calves to caretakers. Donations for supplies are going through the Beaver County Stockyards in Beaver OK. That number is 1-580-625-3051.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Here's one of what I'm sure will be heart breaking images from the fire. One account was neighbors responding to an area where they could get back in. They encountered a despondent man who had lost everything on his ranch, sitting alone in his pickup. He asked if they had a gun, his was lost in the fire. They answered yes. He asked if they could go shoot his horses.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just talked to one of our members up there and they got some snow so hopefully this will end now

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
God bless your son sir and the rest of his Amigos. If you’ve never operated a fire hose, you can’t imagine the Azz kicking it is never mind the smoke and ice.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rooster7- With winds speeds like what we are talking about the flames create tornado like vortexes that lift embers hundreds of feet in the air, and carry them forward hundreds of yards, sometimes even a 1/4 mile or more, starting new fires. In essence the fire is leap-froggin itself. The fire can jump very large gaps in this manner. A good example would be just south of town here on Monday, the day the fires were starting. Smaller fire, but they attempted to stop it when it crossed the highway. 4 lane divided highway with wide right of ways and center median. They plowed and/or ran a maintainer on both right of ways plus the center median (plus 4 lanes), and the fire still managed to jump the road at one point. And that was a smaller fire the day before the worst of the winds.

They try, and it helps. Sometimes it works. You have to pick your battles. Much of the country is too rough for it. The real answer is that most places you can't cut one long enough, wide enough, fast enough to catch it before it burns across.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Damn that is awful. God help you folks.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
Rooster7- With winds speeds like what we are talking about the flames create tornado like vortexes that lift embers hundreds of feet in the air, and carry them forward hundreds of yards, sometimes even a 1/4 mile or more, starting new fires. In essence the fire is leap-froggin itself. The fire can jump very large gaps in this manner. A good example would be just south of town here on Monday, the day the fires were starting. Smaller fire, but they attempted to stop it when it crossed the highway. 4 lane divided highway with wide right of ways and center median. They plowed and/or ran a maintainer on both right of ways plus the center median (plus 4 lanes), and the fire still managed to jump the road at one point. And that was a smaller fire the day before the worst of the winds.

They try, and it helps. Sometimes it works. You have to pick your battles. Much of the country is too rough for it. The real answer is that most places you can't cut one long enough, wide enough, fast enough to catch it before it burns across.

That makes sense. Thanks JT.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That fire is still only 5% contained this morning. eek

Over 1.25 million acres burned total.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.