Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Id really like a suppressor for multiple rifles. The price of a suppressor is bad enough. Then Our good FFL sees the need to delay and Tax our opportunity to protect our hearing. I shouldn't need a tax stamp to put a muffler on my car or lawn mower. How different is it for us to put a muffler on a firearm?

Why should we need to pay another $200 for each suppressor purchased for the purpose of protecting the hearing, for ourselves and those around us when shooting.

Any chance someone here can help a guy move on and bight the bullet &just jump through the hoops to buy the darn Tax stamp? Why can't I just move on, and apply for the tax stamp? I am really challenged with how wrong the need for our governess requirement, of the Tax stamp for a wonderful means to save our hearing? Suppose this is common in other countries as well?

Last edited by Hunterapp; 03/01/24.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
You're preaching to the choir. The problem is we can't seem to sway the ignorant general public and politicians that feel suppressors are only the tools of criminals and assassins. Most European countries don't have that "gangster" phobia ad consider it rude not to have one and do not regulate them like the US and Canada.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I recently "bit the bullet" if you will on 2 suppressors :-) Now that I have them, I wish i hadn't waited so long. I got a .30 cal one and a .22 rimfire can. On a recent range outing, I had forgotten my ear muffs and only had some cheap plugs. I have a 6.5 PRC with a muzzle brake and it was killing me! I screwed on the .30cal can and it was sooooo much better! And shooting my .22 pistol with the can on it is so much fun - it's "Hollywood" quiet with standard velocity ammo!

While I agree on the tax and how stupid it is, I'm now a big fan of having a suppressor on just about everything!

Remember - Congress is supposed to work FOR us, not against us. We need to remind them of that!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You pay taxes every day. You shouldn’t have to pay a tax to own a vehicle or a house either but you do.
I just got one approved in 2 months. I’d be jumping, $200 is cheap.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
If the know nothings in the government and general public actually knew the reality of suppressors vs. what is shown in movies, there could be a change.

Most effective for subsonic rounds. Yes, they help with full power loads or HV rimfire loads, but so does a linear comp.

So those that buy them and buy the stamp also have to change loads and bullets if they want them to be most effective.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KenMi
If the know nothings in the government and general public actually knew the reality of suppressors vs. what is shown in movies, there could be a change.

Most effective for subsonic rounds. Yes, they help with full power loads or HV rimfire loads, but so does a linear comp.

So those that buy them and buy the stamp also have to change loads and bullets if they want them to be most effective.

I just enjoy not wearing ear plugs and the reduced recoil on centerfire. Rimfires that are quiet as an air gun is fun as hell though.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Id really like a suppressor for multiple rifles. The price of a suppressor is bad enough. Then Our good FFL sees the need to delay and Tax our opportunity to protect our hearing. I shouldn't need a tax stamp to put a muffler on my car or lawn mower. How different is it for us to put a muffler on a firearm?

Why should we need to pay another $200 for each suppressor purchased for the purpose of protecting the hearing, for ourselves and those around us when shooting.

Any chance someone here can help a guy move on and bight the bullet &just jump through the hoops to buy the darn Tax stamp? Why can't I just move on, and apply for the tax stamp? I am really challenged with how wrong the need for our governess requirement, of the Tax stamp for a wonderful means to save our hearing? Suppose this is common in other countries as well?
I had the same feelings and thoughts as you for years and put off jumping through the hoops. And I now definitely regret procrastinating for all that time. I received my first two suppressors in January and can't believe how much fun they are and how they improve my shooting experience. Just DO it.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I don’t even think twice about it anymore. My only regret with a suppressor is that I didn’t buy one sooner as it’s easily the single thing that has had the most positive impact on my wife and daughters wanting to shoot more! Well worth the price of admission for that alone.

Another ancillary benefit is the reaction (or lack of) game animals have. They typically just stand around after the shot which has made getting doubles much more common.

And while we like to complain about the cost of the stamp I’m mostly just glad that they have never increased it! That sucker would be super expensive if they had followed inflation.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 222Sako
Originally Posted by Hunterapp

I had the same feelings and thoughts as you for years and put off jumping through the hoops. And I now definitely regret procrastinating for all that time. I received my first two suppressors in January and can't believe how much fun they are and how they improve my shooting experience. Just DO it.

I think you the proper sentiment to motivate me. Thank you. I still know the restrictions & tax is wrong & has been responsible for significant hearing being lost by a huge number of shooters, myself included.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1badf350, 160user, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.