-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If pre 64 model 70 prices are indeed a little down right now, then now is the time to buy them.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 99guy
If pre 64 model 70 prices are indeed a little down right now, then now is the time to buy them.
yup!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Poconojack
No problem here at all lining up with a lc stock and I very MUCH prefer the classic lines

It’s a darn poor rifleman that can’t shoot a low comb model 70 with any scope on it. It is always funny to hear references to “eyebox” and “cheek weld”.

Yeah, it's funny. Yet there are guys that complain about the Mcmillan Hunters Compact being too low in the comb. The low comb pre 64 is much worse. Go figure. You have your preference and I have mine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Some local store prices for reference:
Pre 64 FW 30-06, 550xxx serial, shortened stock, original blueing, 85% rifle imho, $1095 before tax
Pre 64 FW 270, 500xxx serial, original stock, original blueing, 97%rifle imho, $1195 before tax (has sat on shelves for 2 months at $1295, was lowered yesterday. I offered $1100 and was turned down)

Pre 64 FW 264 reamed to 7mm Rem Mag frown 500xxx serial, original stock, original blueing, $1095 before tax. Been on shelf at local store for over 6 months. I offered $750 respectfully as it is a consignment piece and was told to wait a few more monts

These all strike me as being relatively high and as evidenced by them not moving, this supports my theory.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Pre 64 FW 30-06, 550xxx serial, shortened stock, original blueing, 85% rifle imho, $1095 before tax
Pre 64 FW 270, 500xxx serial, original stock, original blueing, 97%rifle imho, $1195 before tax (has sat on shelves for 2 months at $1295, was lowered yesterday. I offered $1100 and was turned down)

Pre 64 FW 264 reamed to 7mm Rem Mag frown 500xxx serial, original stock, original blueing, $1095 before tax. Been on shelf at local store for over 6 months. I offered $750 respectfully as it is a consignment piece and was told to wait a few more monts

These all strike me as being relatively high and as evidenced by them not moving, this supports my theory.

Hardly. The 270 is a good deal. People in your area don't know much. When you see a 30-06 that has been cut down, and messed with that is basically the same price as a 97% condition 270 FWT, that shop has some issues. At that price, I'd buy the 270. It's a "no brainer".

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Totally agree BSA. I have two already and would stlll buy that one at 1195 if it is as described.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Totally agree BSA. I have two already and would stlll buy that one at 1195 if it is as described.

Dang, I've seen some with recoil pads added for more than that!!! An all original 97% condition rifle would be damn nice. The fact that it's a 270 fwt is the cherry on top. Some guys don't realize those bring quite a bit more money, than a 30-06. Again, a rarity thing.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991

Hardly. The 270 is a good deal. People in your area don't know much. When you see a 30-06 that has been cut down, and messed with that is basically the same price as a 97% condition 270 FWT, that shop has some issues. At that price, I'd buy the 270. It's a "no brainer".

Agreed, 1100 would be better, but if someone wanted one, I'd jump!

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have always agreed with bsa in that, if you wait, a deal will come. But, with that being said, how long do you wait? Sometimes, if its something you "want" just buy! Two I waited too long on were my browning 86 carbine 45 70 and my pre 64 fwt 264. Watched them both climb about 400 bucks before I bought. They weren't a deal at the time, but they became one. I always dicker at an lgs, but still ask myself can I get my money back. The day I saw my standard 243 at a pawnshop way too cheap, it was leaving with me at where it was marked, 600 was a better deal though. A good deal is one thing and we all look for them, but a fair deal for what we want will generally turn into a good deal and it makes us happy.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The Art of the Deal is recognizing a deal and acting on it.
If it’s truly a deal there likely won’t be a second chance

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just bought a 270 with the first 3 serial 184. It's in decent shape but has a little surface rust on the front inch or two of the outside of the barrel. The bore looks good and it has the original sights and buttplate with several light scratches on the stock and a worn clear coat but no deep dings.

I figured it was worth $689 even if it is a 270.

Bb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I just bought a 270 with the first 3 serial 184. It's in decent shape but has a little surface rust on the front inch or two of the outside of the barrel. The bore looks good and it has the original sights and buttplate with several light scratches on the stock and a worn clear coat but no deep dings.

Bb

Sounds like a great deal. Hopefully that rust isn't too bad. Off the top of my head, it sounds like a 1951 DOM. Should have a steel butt plate and low comb stock. Some guys like them, but I avoid them. Does it still have the original sling swivels? Original sights would more than likely be 22G with a 3C elevator. Those demand more money than a flip up rear sight. Many were changed out though, for scope use. Probably missing the front sight hood, but that is only a "$40 bill", as my old gunsmith used to tell me. The 270's (std and fwt) demand a little more money than the more common 30-06, so that is a plus.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
No problem here at all lining up with a lc stock and I very MUCH prefer the classic lines

It’s a darn poor rifleman that can’t shoot a low comb model 70 with any scope on it. It is always funny to hear references to “eyebox” and “cheek weld”.

Yeah, it's funny. Yet there are guys that complain about the Mcmillan Hunters Compact being too low in the comb. The low comb pre 64 is much worse. Go figure. You have your preference and I have mine.
To me the Compact McM and Hunters Edge combs are OK. If you want a straighter, higher comb, check out an Echols Legend. To me, comb is a bit high for irons, perfect for scopes. McM makes them to D’Arcy’s specs, gotta get them directly from him.

Those older walnut and blue steel guns (Fudd guns) are in a soft market compared to a few years ago. So, as mentioned, there may be some good buys out there.

Some of us Fudds are thinning the stables and there are fewer of us in circulation as time passes.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

To me the Compact McM and Hunters Edge combs are OK. If you want a straighter, higher comb, check out an Echols Legend. To me, comb is a bit high for irons, perfect for scopes. McM makes them to D’Arcy’s specs, gotta get them directly from him.

Those older walnut and blue steel guns (Fudd guns) are in a soft market compared to a few years ago. So, as mentioned, there may be some good buys out there.

Some of us Fudds are thinning the stables and there are fewer of us in circulation as time passes.

DF

Original low comb fwt stock:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Same rifle in Mcmillan Hunter's Compact swirly laying on the same template:

The proof is really hard to hide, when it's right in front of your face, laying on that stock template Utah708 designed. The guys that keep trying to argue the fact, can keep trying. But it's not working.

The rifle shown is my buddies 1953 308 featherweight. It has become his favorite rifle, after I restocked it with the Mcmillan Hunter's Compact. That rifle is a damn tack driver too. Like my 30-06 fwt, I've seen it put 5 shots into a ragged hole. As I stated before, the rifle was a PITA to get behind. Even with the scope mounted as low as possible. He often complained about it, when it was in the factory wood stock, and I finally convinced him to get a Mcmillan. He said that was one of the best decisions he's made in regards to his rifles. He has a nice Winchester Extreme Weather, and a real nice Sako finlight, that he leaves at home.

Since this is about pre 64 prices, my buddy claims he only paid $250.00 for the rifle, back in 2009, but my memory tells me he actually paid $500.00 for it. It's bad, when he has to call me up, just to ask questions about his rifles. However, something both him and I agree on is how beautiful this rifle is. Even with it's sweated off front sight, and aftermarket stock. This rifle performs very well, and shoots damn straight. There's a lot of beauty in that, even though it's not "original".

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Bb

Sounds like a great deal. Hopefully that rust isn't too bad. Off the top of my head, it sounds like a 1951 DOM. Should have a steel butt plate and low comb stock. Some guys like them, but I avoid them. Does it still have the original sling swivels? Original sights would more than likely be 22G with a 3C elevator. Those demand more money than a flip up rear sight. Many were changed out though, for scope use. Probably missing the front sight hood, but that is only a "$40 bill", as my old gunsmith used to tell me. The 270's (std and fwt) demand a little more money than the more common 30-06, so that is a plus.

It was just a few little spots of rust out by the front sight. Most of it cleaned right off. The sight hood is missing but it does have the original sling swivels with the steel oval loops the sling would with through. I ran several patches of boretech eliminator a few minutes ago and the bore looks very good to my eye. I patched it dry and then ran some accelerator then foamed in with wipe out and layed it down for the night. It should be completely clean when I patch it out in the morning.

It has the original steel buttplate under a slip on recoil pad. The trigger feels pretty heavy but I'm sure I can adjust that. Does have a lower comb and the rear sight appears original and does not flip up. It has a little elevator with 3 notches and one little flathead screw on the right side of the surface your looking at while aiming that appears to adjust the center piece a bit. The bluing is still pretty good overall but the action seems more of a matte finish than the barrel does.

Bb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The matte finish on the action compared to the barrel is as it should be.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Bb

It was just a few little spots of rust out by the front sight. Most of it cleaned right off. The sight hood is missing but it does have the original sling swivels with the steel oval loops the sling would with through. I ran several patches of boretech eliminator a few minutes ago and the bore looks very good to my eye. I patched it dry and then ran some accelerator then foamed in with wipe out and layed it down for the night. It should be completely clean when I patch it out in the morning.

It has the original steel buttplate under a slip on recoil pad. The trigger feels pretty heavy but I'm sure I can adjust that. Does have a lower comb and the rear sight appears original and does not flip up. It has a little elevator with 3 notches and one little flathead screw on the right side of the surface your looking at while aiming that appears to adjust the center piece a bit. The bluing is still pretty good overall but the action seems more of a matte finish than the barrel does.

Bb

Sounds pretty original to me. Congrats on your find. I'll bet it shoots lights out. The 270's usually do. If the first 3 shot group is not under 1", I'd be really surprised..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what it is chambered in matters also. 22 hornet, 35 Remington . = more better $$$$$$$$

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I tried to get out of all things 270 a few years back and sold off most of my bullets and stuff. However, the same shop had some sierra 140g tipped game king or game changer bullets for 40% off so I picked up some boxes of those. I still have some brass and dies so I'll put a scope on it and load up some of these 140g Sierra bullets and see how it shoots this spring. It came with a picitiny rail on it for a base.

My old stand by load for 270s from years ago was a 150g speer hotcor or nos partition over a stiff charge of 7828. Most 270s shot that load well and it ran the 150s over 2900. I've never been a 270 fan, mostly because that's what my stepbrother and his uncle shot and they were both douche bags, but that 7828 and 150 partition load worked well on deer and elk.

I put together a 270 for a friend almost 20 years ago with a new take off Alaska ti fluted 24" barrel I had on a 700 action from an sps in an Alaskan ti stock. He has tons of guns but says that's the only one he's hunted with since I gave it to him. He has me load him 100 rounds of 150 Speer hot cors over 7828 every 5 years or so and says it's killed all his deer and elk with 1 shot. He won't pony up for partitions because he thinks the Speers are perfect. I built a matching rifle for me in 7 mag at the time and I've never even taken mine hunting. I should probably sell mine so it can get some use.

If my 140 Sierras don't shoot I'll try my old 150g 7828 load. That loads always shot in every gun but some guns might do better with a 1/2 to 1g different charge.

Probably going to have to leave it a 270 so it stays original. Otherwise I'd consider a rebore to 9,3x62 if the barrel is thick enough.

I'm pretty excited about the find even though it's nothing like my idea of an ideal hunting rifle. A pre 64 model 70 in 270 just reminds me of reading shooting times as a kid in the 80s.

Bb

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by domit
what it is chambered in matters also. 22 hornet, 35 Remington . = more better $$$$$$$$

I agree 100% with this comment. All about the caliber, all else equal. 30-06 are always the cheapest, with 270 a close 2nd. You start looking at 22 hornet, 220 swift with a good barrel, 358 win, or the couple years with the 300 win mag--you're going to pay up.

In terms of the guys talking about good/original 270s for $1200ish though--that seems like a steal from what i see out there, whether it's a standard or featherweight.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,798
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.