Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I know the publishers behind this website are filthy rich. I've heard all the "behind the scene" stories at the SHOT shows about the wild Wolfe parties where they guzzle Andre Pink Champaign and stuff themselves with delacies such as Vienna Sausages on tooth picks.

Plus, they send everyone who is willing to go to Africa. Personally, I'd like to see them send two deserving African Americans to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo; Al Sharpton and the Rev. Jesse Jackson. In fact, I'd contribute a couple of .22 rifles for these genetlemen to use on their hunt.

BUT, that's not the purpose of this missive. I think Wolfe should take on the most daunting task in the firearms world: to hold a competition, with a cash prize, for the best looking sporting rifle made from an Arisaka or a Moison-Nagant.

At least 50% of the original parts should be required to be used. And, no Mum rifles...these are mostly captured rifles from WW II and don't deserve to be defaced.

I personally don't think it's possible to make a good looking sporting rifle from either of these, but I'd love to see someone else's opus.

How about it, Wolfe?

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now this is interesting. I wonder if it could be done?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I must have missed the part where Rick Bin bought Wolfe Publications. wink

This website and Wolfe are separate, and I don't know of any Wolfe staff (as opposed to some who write for them) who hang out on the campfire.

The Arisaka and the Moison-Nagant are so ... yesterday. How about a challenge for a stylin' rifle made on an action with a barrel nut? Winner must shoot better and be more attractive than a Savage Classic.

jim

ps try wolfepub (at) riflemag (dot) com to email your challenge

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I took one of those Arisakas and turned it into a .270 fro asheep hunt om Pikes Peak.A Fter i got a nice ram, I sent it to my niece in PA for a deer rifle. I think it is in Las Vegas with her now

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Arisakas have a very strong action (not the last ditch ones) and PO Ackley did most of his load development using one.

Getting one to shoot a sheep is not nearly as challenging as getting one to look good.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The Mosin Nagants are pretty tough also. A fellow did a blow-up test on one a couple of years ago. IIRC, a 200 grain lead alloy bullet was used as a stopper over a case full of Bullseye. No catastrophic failure only a swelled receiver but, bolt, receiver, and barrel remained whole.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Gene:

Years ago I saw a photo of a custom Arisaka, supposedly done for a rich client who just wanted to see if it was possible to make one look good.

Didn't keep the photo, and it's been so long, I can't remember where I saw it. The bolt handle was reworked, and the stock was deluxe. Rebarrelled, of course.

I'll just have to ask you to take my word for it that it looked good. (To me.)

- Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=08e1534e62d37285bba1c898965ae8e6;act=ST;f=30;t=18615

This one is about the best looking one I'v seen. Not exactly a good looking rifle, but certainly not an eyesore.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=08e1534e62d37285bba1c898965ae8e6;act=ST;f=30;t=18615

This one is about the best looking one I'v seen. Not exactly a good looking rifle, but certainly not an eyesore.

That's kinda cool. . . . .

I LIKE mosins, they are REALLY TOUGH.

Pretty? Not so much, but TOUGH.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a MN sniper and it's fun. It really has no redeeming values...
Ugly stock, ghastly machining marks on receiver, not especially accurate (by today�s standards), horrible trigger. Stock�s too short, scope has insufficient eye relief, can�t get a good cheek weld etc. But I enjoy the nostalgia of shooting that rifle regardless.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The one I re did, about the only thing left original was the action.New barrel, I made the custom stock ,new trigger.Actualy it didn't look too bad IMO

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does Sherpa Kurt's deer soaked bayonet make a Mosin better looking?

Or merely "Sherpular"?

GE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did see an arisaka redone in .300 savage that was none too shabby. Heck it was almost elegant looking. I believe it was a type 77.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I have a MN sniper and it's fun. It really has no redeeming values...
Ugly stock, ghastly machining marks on receiver, not especially accurate (by today�s standards), horrible trigger. Stock�s too short, scope has insufficient eye relief, can�t get a good cheek weld etc. But I enjoy the nostalgia of shooting that rifle regardless.

Friend of mine once picked up a Finnish-made MN in great condition and was that an eye-opener. Beautifully machined and the action was silky-smooth. The stock, though short, sure enough (has to be when you're wearing enough wool to survive a fire fight in minus 20 degrees) was quite well made. Never got a chance to shoot it though. He traded things so darn fast.

I often thought it had the makings of an interesting sporter.

- Tom

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Gene L
I know the publishers behind this website are filthy rich. I've heard all the "behind the scene" stories at the SHOT shows about the wild Wolfe parties where they guzzle Andre Pink Champaign and stuff themselves with delacies such as Vienna Sausages on tooth picks.

Plus, they send everyone who is willing to go to Africa. Personally, I'd like to see them send two deserving African Americans to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo; Al Sharpton and the Rev. Jesse Jackson. In fact, I'd contribute a couple of .22 rifles for these genetlemen to use on their hunt.

BUT, that's not the purpose of this missive. I think Wolfe should take on the most daunting task in the firearms world: to hold a competition, with a cash prize, for the best looking sporting rifle made from an Arisaka or a Moison-Nagant.

At least 50% of the original parts should be required to be used. And, no Mum rifles...these are mostly captured rifles from WW II and don't deserve to be defaced.

I personally don't think it's possible to make a good looking sporting rifle from either of these, but I'd love to see someone else's opus.

How about it, Wolfe?

Wow! Wouldn't this be akin to a contest for the most beautiful female Sumo wrestler?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gene/Others,

How about entering these Mosins in the beauty contest? Would they be contenders?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=9242&highlight=mosin+deer

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=9242&highlight=mosin+deer&page=4

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/24002/t/Bubba-Angelo.html

These are the "goofy deer" Mosins that were purported to be converted and dolled up for GI's in post-war Japan. Using Korean War capture Mosins. They are characterized by the silver buck onlay on the barrel. Pretty enough? Don

Last edited by Dons1; 01/10/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before I had a Rigby in my outhouse I had an Arisaka and one day during a spring hunt one of my guides and I had already filled out our clients and had hiked over to another guides camp to haul supplies to him. We found out his client had just wounded a big bear that morning and they asked for help tracking it. Since neither of us had carried a rifle I hiked three miles back to camp and picked up the Arisaka and flew back. The guys were already tracking the bear in pretty thick stuff so I dropped the rifle out of the plane ( I was sort of windy so I was 500-600 feet high) The guide without his rifle said that at that moment that Arisaka was the prettiest rifle he had ever seen.

I guess the moral is that maybe throwing Arisaka's and Mosin's out of aircraft might be the best way to beautify them ?

Now if you want a see really pretty rifle you should see the SMLE that is now in our outhouse. I don't dare write about it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Though Wolfe has nothing to do with this website (other than a few of their writers posting), I will decline the challenge. The reason: My first centerfire was a Mosin-Nagant that I personally "sporterized" at the age of 13. It was uglier when I got done than when I started.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Pat Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A very fine answer my friend.....

I have had the same problem(S) in my past!

Pat

Cheap things are not good, good things are not cheap.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It was uglier when I got done than when I started.

Is that actually possible?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (arky65, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, Aviator, 11 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.