Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
The low comb on a Henry single shot rifle is mentioned occasionally, with its misalignment for easy scope use.
Wondering if Henry Company has considered producing an optional buttstock with a higher comb.
I’ve read more than once people saying the low comb has kept them from acquiring this otherwise nice single shot.
Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call them and ask. I used to mention the lack of mounting holes on their shotguns every time I had contact with them. Now they come that way. Coinkydink?

I get by with a Beartooth slip-on riser. Not ideal, but they come with pads of varying thickness. With a red dot like I have on my .357 now, I get good contact with the stock by not trying to center the dot in the field, treating it more like open sights with the dot in the lower field. That may affect POI, so should be checked. It’s said that red dots have no parallax, but that’s not quite the case, as can be proven by putting the gun in a rest and looking through it from various angles.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I put an old leather lace on comb on my 357 and it is perfect. I think it is at least 1/2-5/8" higher than stock. Bad news on seeing the pretty wood.
Next, the barrel is going to Bellm for one of three modifications. Haven't chosen yet but either the lengthened throat to seat bullets to 357 max length, go to 357 max, or go to 350 Legend. Maybe even 360 Buckhorn but I have a ton of good 357 brass.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I’ve got enough 357 Maximum brass to last me the rest of my shooting days.
It’s interesting to read Bellm’s 357 Maximum chambers thoughts.
Also thought my 357 Mag Henry Single shot would be much more usable with a suppressor what with all the subsonic 38 Spl ammo available for critter control (coyotes, etc).
I’m not sure I would actually USE a 357 MAXimum chamber if I had one.

Last edited by Alaninga; 03/01/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do not have any issue with their stocks. I really like my 30-30 and deer don't.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Do you have a scope on yours?

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Henry used to have a 'tell the owner' contact form and may still. Enough requests for a higher comb on the single shot might bear fruit. I used the form a couple of times to suggest that they make a semi-auto with walnut stocks and blue steel that would evoke the style of the Winchester 1907 and similar rifles from way back, to appeal to those who don't care for black plastic AR pattern semi-autos. I was hoping for something in 6.5 Grendel or 35 Remington, but the pistol caliber Homesteader is along the lines of what I was thinking, so maybe others suggested similarly. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alaninga
Also thought my 357 Mag Henry Single shot would be much more usable with a suppressor what with all the subsonic 38 Spl ammo available for critter control (coyotes, etc).

That’s me as well. It’s an interesting round, but I’m not in a straight-wall state, so no need for such a beast. The enhanced .357, assuming it actually improved accuracy, is more my speed. Mine is pretty good so far, with no load development, just using loads I cooked up for my revolver. Maintaining compatibility with that matters somewhat.

I have a Romeo 5 on it now, which probably gets about all the accuracy there is out to 50 or so, but there’s also a K4 Micro Trac sitting in rings ready to go.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Alaninga

That’s me as well. It’s an interesting round, but I’m not in a straight-wall state, so no need for such a beast. The enhanced .357, assuming it actually improved accuracy, is more my speed. Mine is pretty good so far, with no load development, just using loads I cooked up for my revolver. Maintaining compatibility with that matters somewhat.

Bet you would actually use it if it were available to you. Doesn't matter if one is in a "straight wall state" or not when looking at rifle looneyness. The Maxi has a definite edge on the Magnum, rather like comparing a mid-range .357 load to a .38 Special - while keeping the sturm und drang at a pleasantly manageable level in a light carbine.

On top of that there's nothing saying one has to shoot max loads in the Max with every pull of the trigger. I load a full selection of loads in mine (a Martini Cadet with 26" barrel - don't laugh, overall length is rather like a bolt gun with 23-24" barrel), from 150 grain cast bullets at .38 Special velocity to full snort 200 grainers and everything in between. Pretty versatile. (And note I dance with 200 grain soft cast bullets at a very respectable 1900 fps, with room to grow to 2000+fps if I deem it necessary.) Some guys espouse the use of .38's and .357's for low-vel target/plinking work in a Maxi rifle. They work of course, and I've done it successfully, and they do add to the Maxi's versatility - I just don't care for that looooong bullet jump in the chamber.

The only thing I would caution about is to be sure to use a chamber reamer with a short rifle throat built into it. A reamer intended for revolver use will have a long throat that if used in a rifle barrel will dictate long-loaded cartridges. Not a bad thing if you load your own but could be an issue if you rely on factory ammo.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, maybe. Never can tell what notion will occur to Grandpa. Right now I’m exploring the mysteries of cheap ARs. Got a lot of yard stuff to get done too before turkey season and/or knee replacement, in addition to shooting clays and “exercising” existing stuff. No doubt my cheap foreign labor will be getting the fishing urge pretty soon too.

This retirement business is a lot of work!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,253
Posts18,486,286
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.