Print Thread
Hop To
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I live on some acreage away from town with no real close neighbors, so when my doorbell rang at 1215 am I was concerned about an intruder checking to see if any one was home. At night, I always keep the house dark...inside and out.

So, I quietly set up a proper in-house ambush and sat there in the dark with a thermal and sh*tgun and waited to see what was going to happen.

Nothing....so after some time I went out and did the normal "search and destroy" exercise...... again, nothing.

Hmm.... what?

In the morning, I see that the doorbell is just a few inches above a small ledge...underneath an eave where these little devil packrats had been trying to make a nest. One of these rascals must have hit the doorbell trying to climb up to the eave.

Ahh!.... some ado about nothing.

But, maybe I will have better luck next time!

I guess I also need to get a cat.....

Last edited by TF49; 03/03/24.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Crisis Abatement Technician

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It rang your doorbell. It's just rude not to let it in. But I suppose exceptiions may be made.

Years ago, in the spring, I was banging on my Jon boat, tightening rivets, with a yearling bull moose bedded in the driveway about 40 yards away. He took exception to having his nap disturbed. Well, he took exception to most everything, actually. The neighborhood had named him "Ornery". Over the winter he had charged most of us at least once for little or no reason, except stress, and his personality.

I looked up and here he came. The door was just a few feet away, and I just made it inside to slam it in his face. He stood there with his face literaly pressed against the glass, daring me to come out and fight like a moose. He also had knocked my Pentax SLR off the deck stairs onto the concrete, breaking it.

I think my next door neighbor ( a renegade in his own right) ate him shortly after that, and hang "season", some months away.

Last edited by las; 03/03/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandparents' house had a ledge along the front of the house from one end all the way to about the middle where the front door was. My uncle's old tabby cat "Tiger" would walk that ledge and play with the doorbell button. My grandad thought it was neighborhood kids pranking them for several days until the afternoon he opened the door to step out and look down the street for the little miscreants. When he saw the little miscreant sitting on that ledge he realized what had been going on. He had to disconnect the power from the doorbell to put a stop to it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That "search and destroy" exercise puts you at a distinct tactical disadvantage.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
I live on some acreage away from town with no real close neighbors, so when my doorbell rang at 1215 am I was concerned about an intruder checking to see if any one was home. At night, I always keep the house dark...inside and out.

So, I quietly set up a proper in-house ambush and sat there in the dark with a thermal and sh*tgun and waited to see what was going to happen.

Nothing....so after some time I went out and did the normal "search and destroy" exercise...... again, nothing.

Hmm.... what?

In the morning, I see that the doorbell is just a few inches above a small ledge...underneath an eave where these little devil packrats had been trying to make a nest. One of these rascals must have hit the doorbell trying to climb up to the eave.

Ahh!.... some ado about nothing.

But, maybe I will have better luck next time!

I guess I also need to get a cat.....

Time to spend 20k on new thermals that can ID a packrat at 300 yards.

Imagine if it wasn't a packrat but a lost Uber Eats driver. He could of got away with the food.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Claymores, man, claymores.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 222ND, 160user, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 47 invisible), 9,640 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,363
Posts18,546,910
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.