Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by steve4102
How many square feet in a 1x6x10?

5 SF

Also

5 BF... because it is a 1"

Wrong

A 1x6 S4S measures 5.5 inches wide.

1 x 5.5 x10= 55/12= 4.58 square feet, or 5 Board feet.

Wrong. 1x and 2x are not sold on actual thickness or width.

If you are purchasing lumber such as T&G paneling from a mill or you have to be able to calculate and convert your "Square Footage" to their "board footage".

They charge by the Board foot which is 1" x 12" x 12", that is NOT going to cover 1" x 12" x 12" of wall space. Depending on the actual width of the finished lumber it could be as much as 25+% waste to as little as 7% actual waste.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
They charge by the Board foot which is 1" x 12" x 12", that is NOT going to cover 1" x 12" x 12" of wall space. Depending on the actual width of the finished lumber it could be as much as 25+% waste to as little as 7% actual waste.

YOU... are the moron that said 20% waste was way excessive.

For fugg's sake Stevie Wonder.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by callnum
How many square feet in a 1x6x10?

5 SF

Also

5 BF... because it is a 1"

Wrong

A 1x6 S4S measures 5.5 inches wide.

1 x 5.5 x10= 55/12= 4.58 square feet, or 5 Board feet.

Wrong. 1x and 2x are not sold on actual thickness or width.

If you are purchasing lumber such as T&G paneling from a mill or you have to be able to calculate and convert your "Square Footage" to their "board footage".

Wrong yet again but home owners trying to figure bf is always laughable.

That’s why the big box stores price by the piece. Per thousand really trip up Johnny homeowner.

Cash can’t figure the bf in a 1x4-58” or how to price it by the piece. Laughing

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

Only an idiot would BUY 58s... or pay the milling charge to have them made.

You make cants and use a table saw... for fugg's sake.

58" is 2" shy of 5'

1 x 4 x 5 = 20/12 so 1.67 BF.

Mill time would be $4-$5 for each one you made.

Thus cants and a table saw.

The stupidity of some people simply cannot be measured... Congratulations...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wife asked me what a board foot was yesterday.

The remodelers want $11k extra for the trim in the living room at our son's house.

When we put in trim in 1989 Oak was $2.50 /bf

When I built my woodworking bench in 1984, maple was $2.50/bf

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You really want to have fun, try estimating how many cord of cedar you need to cut to mill live edge siding for a 24'x32' cabin!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How many square feet in an S4S 1x6x10?

Why would you ask that?

That’s not how 1”x or dimensional lumber is sold.

Panels are sold by the thousand sf.

T&G Paneling, real T&G paneling is sold by the board foot.

A 1 x 6 x 10 piece of T&G measures 3/4" x 5 1/2" x10 ', outside to outside including the tongue . The mill is going to charge you for 5 Board feet, 1 x 6 x 10.

The actual coverage of this 1 x 6 x 10", or 5 board feet is only going to cover 4.375 Square Feet, 1 x 5.25 x 10/12 which is about 13% loss when converting Board feet to Square feet.

So if you have a wall 8' x 8' = 64 Square Feet, convert that to Board feet using 1x6 T&G = about 72 Board Feet, Now you can add whatever need for waste.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

Only an idiot would BUY 58s... or pay the milling charge to have them made.

You make cants and use a table saw... for fugg's sake.

58" is 2" shy of 5'

1 x 4 x 5 = 20/12 so 1.67 BF.

Mill time would be $4-$5 for each one you made.

Thus cants and a table saw.

The stupidity of some people simply cannot be measured... Congratulations...

Wrong yet again.

1x4x58=232 divide by 144 because the length is in inches =1.61 bf

1x material in these lengths are sold by the semi truck load and even car loads every day for industrial uses. Pallets crates etc

Cash you moron do you think all the lumber on the pallets in Costco, Lowes, Home Depot etc. are cut on table saw?

Laffin

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

Why would you ask that?

A 1 x 6 x 10 piece of T&G measures 3/4" x 5 1/2" x10 ', outside to outside including the tongue . The mill is going to charge you for 5 Board feet, 1 x 6 x 10.

The actual coverage of this 1 x 6 x 10", or 5 board feet is only going to cover 4.375 Square Feet, 1 x 5.25 x 10/12 which is about 13% loss when converting Board feet to Square feet.

So if you have a wall 8' x 8' = 64 Square Feet, convert that to Board feet using 1x6 T&G = about 72 Board Feet, Now you can add whatever need for waste.

This is the home owner in you talking. Not the sawmill or distribution yard.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 78CJ
You really want to have fun, try estimating how many cord of cedar you need to cut to mill live edge siding for a 24'x32' cabin!

24 + 32 + 24 + 32 = 112 x 10' sides is 1,120 SF... add 25% for gables so 1,400 SF... 20% waste... mill 1,680... or 1,800 if running 3-4" battens

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Figuring board feet is similar to figuring voltage drop in an electrical run,

99.5% of the population don’t know how, nor need to.

Whatever.

You make an excellent point...

AND... those velcro shoe laces you love... are equally "whatever".

Copy!

Relax, you seem to get your rocks off by arguing and contradicting people on the internet,

I’m somewhat disappointed that I didn’t warrant your typical “brokedick” comeback…

The fact is/was, majority of the people are actually ignorant when it comes to figuring board feet or concrete blocks needed to build a basement wall, It’s just not common place at all.

Not sure why you act so surprised about this.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

YOU... are the moron that said 20% waste was way excessive.

For fugg's sake Stevie Wonder.

Wrong again, 78CJ said your 20% was excessive, I said it was flawed from the start. That could mean it is excessive you not enough.

Here is my quote.

Originally Posted by 78CJ
Guy called me off of my Fakebook Marketplace listing on Friday wanting to do his basement as a man cave...

28 x 18 square room... 8 foot ceiling

92 linear feet of wall x 8 = 736 SF... add 20% for waste.

Buy 900 SF/BF and be done with the thinking.

He asking how I could do "All that thinking while I was driving"?

Never even occurred to me that everybody couldn't. Seriously.

20%.....Some of us are a little more precise in our cuts. 10% here, never had a problem and usually one or two boards is all that's left.

The 20% added for waste is flawed right from the get-go.

Wood boards measure less than what they are called, for example a 2" wide board measures 1 1/2 " in width, that right there is 25% less actual coverage in Square feet compared to board feet.
So, if you are going to be putting 2" boards on your walls, you have to add 25% to your Square Foot measurements before you even cut a board.

On the other hand, if you are using 12" boards, they measure 11 1/4 inches wide so your actual loss when converting square feet to board feet is only about 7%.

T&G paneling has even more % waste when converting square feet to board feet because of the tongue. A 1 x 6 T&G board will only have 5 1/4" or less actual exposure.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
...distribution yard.

What the fugg is a "distribution yard"?

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

Mostly I am surprised how ignorant people insist on remaining... on such a wide array of topics.

That is kinda it in a nutshell.

People actually LIKE being brokedick.

Weird.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Wrong again, 78CJ said your 20% was excessive, I said it was flawed from the start. That could mean it is excessive you not enough.

Steve... It is 100% OK to admit that you are a moron.

It is a very important First Step for you... in the recovery process.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
...distribution yard.

What the fugg is a "distribution yard"?

JFC you are dumb.

Let me break out the crayons.

Sawmills produce lumber. Headed east generally it gets shipped into distribution yards but some direct to end users. The distribution yards sort the car loads into grade, specie dimensions etc. The retail lumber yard order from the distribution yard. Lengths grades etc.

Big retailer yards will take full trucks or cars but generally the retailers get theirs from the distribution yards.

I’m not talking podunk sawmills like you are use to dealing with. I’m talking the big boys. Weyerhaeuser, Sierra Pacific Wesr Frazier etc.

Cripes

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Figuring board feet is similar to figuring voltage drop in an electrical run,

99.5% of the population don’t know how, nor need to.

Whatever.

You make an excellent point...

AND... those velcro shoe laces you love... are equally "whatever".

Copy!

Relax, you seem to get your rocks off by arguing and contradicting people on the internet,

I’m somewhat disappointed that I didn’t warrant your typical “brokedick” comeback…

The fact is/was, majority of the people are actually ignorant when it comes to figuring board feet or concrete blocks needed to build a basement wall, It’s just not common place at all.

ignorant is correct, not stupid. I used to.....love the sound of that.....build some houses, I don't think I ever got into the board ' of things. figuring siding etc always square '....If its not part of your job not really any reason to know....bob

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Why would you ask that?

This is the home owner in you talking. Not the sawmill or distribution yard.

When I order T&G for a project I go straight to the Mill, I never buy this from a Big Box Store. Some are local for , Pine, Cedar, Poppel, Basswood, Ash, Tamarack and Birch, others like Oak, Hickory and Cherry, I have to order from out of state mills. Everything is sold and purchased by the Board Food, NOT the piece and NOT Square foot.

The mill gets paid for what they started with a 1 x 12 x 12 inch board is one board foot. Once it is milled down, regardless of what is left over after the final mill, you are paying for 1 Board foot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mostly I am surprised how ignorant people insist on remaining... on such a wide array of topics.

That is kinda it in a nutshell.

People actually LIKE being brokedick.

Weird.

Cash, you’re a dying breed,

The average Person nowadays is more focused on how to download the latest Peacock App,

Tradesmen doing actual math via the brain by memory,

Long gone.

Enjoy your Sunday.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Steve... It is 100% OK to admit that you are a moron.

It is a very important First Step for you... in the recovery process.

LOL, this from a guy that starts a thread on figuring board feet, yet he has no clue how to convert Square Feet in to Board Feet and vise-versa. Instead he just takes a wild ass guess and just adds 20%.

Bwahahaha
Funny schit right there.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 40 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,228
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.