Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I can weld. Go for it you will be busy I bet.

Last edited by LazyL0228; 03/03/24.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Be prepared for the “hey bub, the bottom of my grill has rusted out… can you fix ‘er up?” Calls.

And they expect to pay about $20.. 😁😁

Most people have no idea how much rods, gas, welding rods, grinding wheels, etc. They have no idea how much metal costs either.

Hey can you build me a Bbq pit like yours? Sure, material would cost a 1000 bucks. That shuts them up quick.

I used to tell them it would be cheaper to buy one from Pitts and Spitts than for me to do it.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Good luck Boots...

Might have ya make me one of these... next time we wear out a set...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Of course... I will want mine to be round... not brokedick sloppy.

Trade ya some lumber.

I like building fire pits

Last edited by hanco; 03/03/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a guy I used for years. He stayed waaaay busier than he wanted.

He mostly worked for breweries and wineries. Repairs, fabricating, installs…. All stainless.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I cannot say how much demand is in your area but around here there is a lot. Mostly farming related but a lot of oil and gas related. Professional welders hate having to compete with hobbyists that happily undercut prices in order to get jobs. Also it depends on what jobs you're capable of doing and completing in a timely manner that are competently done. There's a huge difference in just sticking something together and actually laying, cutting and welding to professional standards something that will last and is correct. Good luck.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Thinking of starting a mobile welding business. I have pretty much everything I need to do it, and would round out my existing equipment with a small GTAW machine, most likely a Lincoln Sprinter.

My question for the 'Fire is, how much demand exists for mobile welding repair services? This would be part time, such as nights and weekends. I am not quitting my day job, and yes, I am a very qualified welder.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

I've been trying to find someone to come out and weld a truck frame onsite for over a year. Can't find anyone that wants to do the job - talked to 3 guys and none of them even got to quoting me a price, just outright rejected it - and the job is just welding rear cab mounts that I've already purchased onto the frame. I guess its just a PITA small job that no one wants to tackle for a few hundred dollars.

I'm going to end up trying it myself after I do a few practice runs

Last edited by KFWA; 03/03/24.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MadMooner
He mostly worked for breweries and wineries. Repairs, fabricating, installs…. All stainless.

Great point... lotta that in Boot's zone.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sorry to say it ... in repair welding, the success of your business all depends on your skill level. If you have worked in a fab shop under good conditions welding and fitting fairly clean material...I'd say you are totally unprepared. When that phone rings, the jobs you will get will range from A to Z, every kind of equipment, materials, problems, dirt, oil, weather conditions. There is a damn good reason the girls don't do it.
To add fat to the fire, without pretty good mechanic skills...you will lose a lot of work. More often than not, it will be necessary to remove the part, weld it, and re install it. Customers don't want to hire two guys to complete a job. And when the customer is looking over your shoulder, all he can think about is he is paying you 100+ bucks an hour, and you gotta hustle to satisfy him.
Other than some time out for logging, I have operated a field truck for almost 50 years, and I'd say that pure welding only amounted to 20 or 25% of my income. Even getting to be the guy they call on a crushing or sand and gravel operation, welding only amounts to 60% of your billable hours.
It's a hard job, I wish you the best.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i did "warranty" metal work and welding for Cat, JD, komatsu, volvo, terex etc etc for years. charged those dealers 85 an hour 20 years ago!!
around here these days the wetbacks have undercut the prices and its just not worth it anymore. i still have a few good customers i do work for that dont blink an eye at 155 an hour plus fuel surcharge, and pay in 30 days.
carry good insurance, ive had to use mine twice in 30 years and its worth its weight in gold when you fry a computer on a new cat 994 loader or burn down a Cat wheel dozer in a landfill!! ive down both!!
theres little tricks to it all.
now i mainly export equipment from the auctions, much much more lucrative

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Sorry to say it ... in repair welding, the success of your business all depends on your skill level. If you have worked in a fab shop under good conditions welding and fitting fairly clean material...I'd say you are totally unprepared. When that phone rings, the jobs you will get will range from A to Z, every kind of equipment, materials, problems, dirt, oil, weather conditions. There is a damn good reason the girls don't do it.
To add fat to the fire, without pretty good mechanic skills...you will lose a lot of work. More often than not, it will be necessary to remove the part, weld it, and re install it. Customers don't want to hire two guys to complete a job. And when the customer is looking over your shoulder, all he can think about is he is paying you 100+ bucks an hour, and you gotta hustle to satisfy him.
Other than some time out for logging, I have operated a field truck for almost 50 years, and I'd say that pure welding only amounted to 20 or 25% of my income. Even getting to be the guy they call on a crushing or sand and gravel operation, welding only amounts to 60% of your billable hours.

You’d be a handy morherfûcker to know smile

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The Meskins have undercut lots of businesses down here, jobs too.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Billy, Yeah, maybe when I was worth a schidt...now just another ustabe. lol

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KFWA
Thinking of starting a mobile welding business. I have pretty much everything I need to do it, and would round out my existing equipment with a small GTAW machine, most likely a Lincoln Sprinter.

My question for the 'Fire is, how much demand exists for mobile welding repair services? This would be part time, such as nights and weekends. I am not quitting my day job, and yes, I am a very qualified welder.

I've been trying to find someone to come out and weld a truck frame onsite for over a year. Can't find anyone that wants to do the job - talked to 3 guys and none of them even got to quoting me a price, just outright rejected it - and the job is just welding rear cab mounts that I've already purchased onto the frame. I guess its just a PITA small job that no one wants to tackle for a few hundred dollars.

Does your state have vehicle inspection regulations that prohibit welding on the frame? Or maybe the guys you talked to are gun shy about liability? There are probably very valid reasons they're turning it down beyond it being too small of a job.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Re-line the floors and walls of a 20 year old trash truck compactor and get back to me about chitty repair jobs.....

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
People cry about wages but welders have high overhead in consumables, tools and truck expenses especially diesel and gas’s. My grandson has done a huge amount of different jobs. For the last few weeks he’s worked welding large 1” thick I-beams to below grade pilons for a retaining wall for a railroad. Next week he’ll travel to Oklahoma to test for a job in Kansas. He’s done small jobs for old farmers and such around here essentially for gratis.
Mexicans have pretty much taken over fabrication welding in large shops welding red iron and such. They work cheap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Does your state have vehicle inspection regulations that prohibit welding on the frame? Or maybe the guys you talked to are gun shy about liability? There are probably very valid reasons they're turning it down beyond it being too small of a job.

My insurance excluded coverage for any weld on the frame of a motorized vehicle

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Welders are a dime a dozen. Finding someone who can actually fabricate and lay out is tough. A little extra work has never hurt anyone, best of luck to you.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American

not sure, might have been a valid reason

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This is one of those cases where "here" needs to be defined by "state" and better quadrant of a state to get the best answer.
o
A friend worked for Kenworth and and told me that corporate did not want them mucking about drilling on the frame.

Last edited by LouisB; 03/03/24.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
well that's unfortunate to read

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 222Sako, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 3,209 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,122
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.