Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool video
Intersting they discuss barrel death at 5K. AMU changes match barrels out at 2500 rounds last I heard still. Because they have seen a QUALITY barrel die at 3000/3500 rounds.

Which is pretty typical for us when we shot buttoned barrels. 3500-4500 was about all you could get.

Also pretty typical death, buttoned tubes seemed to be fine and then horrible. Good cut tubes just faded away.

All in all for what you spend vs what you get.. its up to the purchaser.

And how many will run full auto or get into combat anyway. At that point there are other issues IMHO. And it may be that picking up other guns laying around isn't a bad thing...

As I've been saying, they figured the AR thing out some years ago. CNC type auto stuff makes stuff so good that it just doesn't take much to have a basically MOA gun that will last just fine for most peoples uses.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Good test.

Looking at the cracking in the barrel, it seemed pretty obvious that heat killed it. That and it seemed to have a lot of copper. I wonder how long it would've gone with more frequent cleaning?

It would've been neat if they air-gauged the barrel.

Last edited by dla; 03/04/24.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Thanks for posting.

Truth is very few people will ever fire enough rounds to shoot the barrel of a PSA.

If you do, time to buy something better.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think they last a hell of a lot longer than most buyers interest in that gun does. Bought a dpms Oracle for $500 when that was the going rate years ago. Sighted in a red dot on the rec. As well as a laser on the picatinied gas block. Probably put 250 -300 rds thru it checking function and reliability. With those sights it is my house gun. Last forever , simply does not get the volume of rds thru it my scoped ar does that I use for varmints and such. As simple as Lay's potatoe chips can't have just 1..mb you know I wouldn't chit you.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I feel like this was GT's way of telling people "you have no excuse" when it comes to arming yourself for self defense/SHTF/whatever.

He's rather "based" as the kids say and seems to believe that conflict is coming of some sort. A 300 dollar roscoe is more than enough so the old saw about "I can't afford one worth having" doesn't really apply. Get one so the numbers swell.

Me

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I'd like to see him do the same test with the PSA premium kit with their FN double chrome lined barrel and their premium BCG.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not at all surprised they managed to cook that barrel so quickly, given the rate of fire. All that heat certainly affects the innards of the action as well. I doubt that barrel was hammer-forged; if so, I don’t recall them saying so. I skipped around some, so if they did any cleaning or lubing, I missed it.

Just looked, and Bear Creek, which has its own hammer-forging machine, offers uppers with nitrided, H-F barrels pretty cheaply. One of those should last a long time under normal conditions. My upper is 416R SS, no doubt button-rifled, but I won’t ever get it anywhere near that hot. Rifle-length gas system is supposed to help things inside stay cooler too, according to the video. Learned a good bit from that Asian guy; stuff to watch out for.

Been watching a lot of similar videos. Point seems to be that you can get a decent rifle for not a whole lot of money, but it pays to check the details for stuff that might’ve slipped through, like staking, loose screws, etc. Even spendier ones can have those issues.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm a little bit surprised at the barrel/accuracy holding up that long, considering full auto at times. But otherwise, I hold the belief that any auto that passes a good visual & function check, runs 100% for the first few hundred is good to go for the long run for the average shooter.

Those guys fired in the neighborhood of 3500 bucks worth of ammo. Average Joe won't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Now at 20k rounds through a Colt A1 1:7 twist 11.5" blaster. Purchased as a LE takeoff after some indeterminate number of rounds.

Anyway, first 12k used a Colt bolt, rest with a FN bolt. Carrier is fine, rails shiny but no asymetric wear. Both bolts are still in service, no sign of cracks. Two extractor hooks broken over 25k (sometimes used bolts in another upper). Definitely not undergassed as in the vid. Replaced rings on the Colt bolt around 10k, haven't done the FN. As for the CMP-stamped barrel, Teslong pics are worse......OK, much, much worse........than those in the vid. Rifling barely even visible first 5" or so, gas port looks like grand canyon, etc.

By pure coincidence I'd treated it about the same as Garandthumb in the vid. 3-4 mag dumps followed by cooling period. 95% or more was FA.

Occasionally tested for accuracy using IVI or LC M855. Through over 10k it held to 5 shots in 4-5" at 100 yds (with irons......I'm old). At that point it went to a shoot and the volunteers got to run that upper with consecutivve mag dumps......probably ten or so before it was benched for handguards too hot to hold. After than occasion it abruptly became a 12 MOA blaster. Which is still OK by me.

Not content, did the Kroil/Paste alternating with Patch-Out soaks. As in 3-4 cycles. At the range it again went into 4-5". To be fair, it fouls up pretty fast now. Whatever have a local shoot in May, and that upper will be attending.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have noticed - A LOT of youtube types with access to FA weapons. I need some too.

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not at all surprised they managed to cook that barrel so quickly, given the rate of fire. All that heat certainly affects the innards of the action as well. I doubt that barrel was hammer-forged; if so, I don’t recall them saying so. I skipped around some, so if they did any cleaning or lubing, I missed it.

Just looked, and Bear Creek, which has its own hammer-forging machine, offers uppers with nitrided, H-F barrels pretty cheaply. One of those should last a long time under normal conditions. My upper is 416R SS, no doubt button-rifled, but I won’t ever get it anywhere near that hot. Rifle-length gas system is supposed to help things inside stay cooler too, according to the video. Learned a good bit from that Asian guy; stuff to watch out for.

Been watching a lot of similar videos. Point seems to be that you can get a decent rifle for not a whole lot of money, but it pays to check the details for stuff that might’ve slipped through, like staking, loose screws, etc. Even spendier ones can have those issues.
One of the top line names in custom AR rifles for competition sent out a top notch not cheap rifle upper to a friend. Would not shoot. Barrel nut was so that you could unscrew with your fingers.

it happens to all.

So yes, check everything you get. There will always be lemons for any number of reasons.

Obviously the cheaper the Item the higher the odds of an issue. But these days it almost all works.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you keep saying "I get it, I get it"... you don't get it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So.... what exactly was this upper anyway? What kind of bolt is in it? What kind of barrel? Is any of it nitrided or hard chromed? Just plain steel? As far as I could find, they NEVER said. And to take all the measurements AFTER shooting, and none before makes the measurements mean NOTHING.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The barrel was a copper mine.

I would like to see it cleaned ,
gas rings cost a few cents, an idiot could replace them.
Do that too.

Let's see what happens then.
Everyone talks Colt, FN, Knight.
How about we really treat the PSA like a military gun would be treated.
Not likely to fire 3k rounds without cleaning.
Pretty certain if the gas rings fail the test, they would be replaced.

There was a bit of value in the test, but it deserves a cleaning before the barrel is
declared toast. Gas rings if it needs them. $10 in parts and supplies would likely
have it back in business.

If it was a $3k dollar gun, it probably would have been mechanically better.
They wouldn't have proclaimed a MK12 toast without cleaning it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So I'll never wear one out with the demands I put on a rifle, along with a little lube, good to know.

I did skip through the video as the frantic speed talking is distracting..

Informative video!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colodog
So I'll never wear one out with the demands I put on a rifle, along with a little lube, good to know.

Which is the point of the video IMO. Not to compare it or to see how long one could make it last. Basically - 300 bucks gets you a serviceable AR for home defense and training.

Me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There really is no excuse for anyone wanting an AR “that works” not to have one. Even snobs like me that love colt and fn chromed barrels and $300 BCG’s might want one of these just to keep in the trunk of your Tesla while shopping down town.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
There really is no excuse for anyone wanting an AR “that works” not to have one. Even snobs like me that love colt and fn chromed barrels and $300 BCG’s might want one of these just to keep in the trunk of your Tesla while shopping down town.
Thats a [bleep] slap... Tesla.....
FWIW we haven't owned a car since the wife wanted to play with a Mustang around 94... I don't see us ever owning a car period again. YMMV.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Do that too.

There was a bit of value in the test, but it deserves a cleaning before the barrel is
declared toast. Gas rings if it needs them. $10 in parts and supplies would likely

What I took away is that if you can abuse an upper like that and it makes 3000 rounds, its good enough for most people. Yes it could have been done differently. But then again we have shot barrels to the almost 5000 round mark without cleaning too just to watch accuracy on good barrels. Yes the upper got wiped now and then and the bolt re lubed. But those barrels did not degrade so they evidently are better barrels.

I've noted life depends on lots of factors. Cleaning the barrel is one that just tends not to make enough difference UNLESS you get bad spots of carbon fouling.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
After seeing one of PSA’s double chrome lined FN barrel’s do a pretty decent job as a GP gun, I started ordering a few parts here and there. Finally found an H&R chrome lined upper from them for $369 so I bought it and after running a few hundred rounds through it, it now lives in my Tesla, uh, I mean Chevy monster truck. 🤓

The upper in the video was severely over gassed but it was assembled right and stayed together. I’m not sure how far the groups were shot at but the accuracy was acceptable.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Unless you get a custom barrel most barrels are overpassed IMHO>. Built to work period so no one has issues. I get that. But I'd rather it be under gassed and I can open that port as needed with bits. But that isn't for everyone..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
nice to have a deep pocket sponsor. lol Good info though.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Unless you get a custom barrel most barrels are overpassed IMHO>. Built to work period so no one has issues. I get that. But I'd rather it be under gassed and I can open that port as needed with bits. But that isn't for everyone..

I have a newbie question. If say your bolt cracks a lug, or your gas key fails, can you just replace either the bolt or BCG or do you need to check headspace in either or both cases as I suspect?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW we haven't owned a car since the wife wanted to play with a Mustang around 94... I don't see us ever owning a car period again. YMMV.

Do that too.

What I took away is that if you can abuse an upper like that and it makes 3000 rounds, its good enough for most people. Yes it could have been done differently. But then again we have shot barrels to the almost 5000 round mark without cleaning too just to watch accuracy on good barrels. Yes the upper got wiped now and then and the bolt re lubed. But those barrels did not degrade so they evidently are better barrels.

I've noted life depends on lots of factors. Cleaning the barrel is one that just tends not to make enough difference UNLESS you get bad spots of carbon fouling.

Deferring to your knowledge.

Was busy getting ready for work near the end, did I miss something. The only thing really bad in the borescope was fouling. Was the gator skin enough to destroy accuracy to that extent?

Another take.

$3-400 bought 3000 good rounds.

If one were to consider that upper well paid for(free at this point. A $300 barrel, $150 BCG, a few bucks for a gas tube…$500 and you now have a high quality upper. Phoenix rising from the ashes?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Do that too.

Was busy getting ready for work near the end, did I miss something. The only thing really bad in the borescope was fouling. Was the gator skin enough to destroy accuracy to that extent?

Another take.

If one were to consider that upper well paid for(free at this point. A $300 barrel, $150 BCG, a few bucks for a gas tube…$500 and you now have a high quality upper. Phoenix rising from the ashes?

If they gauged the muzzle it's likely it's over sized.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's a testament to what a good design the AR is.

Even a low budget, loose-spec'd upper like a PSA, maintained good accuracy and reliability through 5K rounds of hard use at mostly full auto, suppressed, and minimal lubing.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I have a newbie question. If say your bolt cracks a lug, or your gas key fails, can you just replace either the bolt or BCG or do you need to check headspace in either or both cases as I suspect?
I haven't found a BCG/barrel extension combo yet that didn't achieve an acceptable headspace. I suppose it could happen, but isn't likely.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have go/no go gauges and check headspace if a new bolt or barrel is installed. So far no problems. I think it's unlikely to be an issue but it's a little safer to check.

On the original question, I'd guess that most bargain AR-15's will run a long time if normal maintenance is done. At some point you'll need a new barrel or a bolt lug will crack, but that's probably at least 5000 rounds and maybe 10.000 depending on how it's used and what the user's accuracy requirements are. The cost of that much ammunition is far greater than the cost of the rifle, so I think it makes sense to get a better quality rifle but that's just me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We need to remember that it wasn't always the case of buying cheap and it working out. I remember a DPMS 1000 round burn down that caught the hand guards on fire and melted the gas tube in to before it was done. But that didn't keep the bolt release I had from them from snapping in half. Then there was the Bushmaster commercial RE that snapped at the threads. I could go on with a few more things but it's nice to see PSA is procuring some decent parts and charging a great price on their stuff.

I need a youtube channel and an ammo sponsor like Mike has.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Do that too.

Another take.

Carbon fouling can wreak things. Pressure and accuracy. Copper fouling not so much IMHO. Like not enough to make it look like a dead barrel.

Gator skin will always be there. Just gets worse.

We polished our barrels now and again with diamond paste. To try to smooth out the throat area. Fire lapping would be about the same too. Never got that far.

But for the most part there wasn't a lot of difference between often cleaned barrels and not so often when talking accuracy or barrel life that I could ever tell.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Carbon fouling is hygroscopic and will pit your barrel if you don't at least put a coat of oil on it.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For me, that video proves nobody should be without an AR. No excuse not to have one. I know some people and family members who have plenty of dough, and are just too cheap to buy a rifle to defend themselves and their families. IMHO, there is just NO excuse not to own one. I think that rifle would have lasted a lot more rounds, had it not been getting beat that hard.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well it certainly shows that someone that wants one or feels they need one, needn’t wait until they can pony up for a DD or other boutique model. The basic design is sound and given decent parts, not necessarily exotic ones, and a little lube now and then, they run.

My first, a mid-level from a major manufacturer, was disappointing, partly due to my ignorance about the various configurations available, but also due to its mediocre accuracy. One thing I’ve found with Bear Creek and PSA is that they offer a tremendous variety of options, which increases the chances of getting what you want from the start instead of having to buy something that requires parts swapping to get there.

At some point I want to get a piston upper, either an Adams or the Brownells. It seems the trend in military rifles is towards pistons, and there are definitely advantages for hard use as well as stocking options. Meanwhile, I’m very happy so far with my economy models with BC uppers on a PSA lower. They certainly shoot well.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well it certainly shows that someone that wants one or feels they need one, needn’t wait until they can pony up for a DD or other boutique model. The basic design is sound and given decent parts, not necessarily exotic ones, and a little lube now and then, they run.

My first, a mid-level from a major manufacturer, was disappointing, partly due to my ignorance about the various configurations available, but also due to its mediocre accuracy. One thing I’ve found with Bear Creek and PSA is that they offer a tremendous variety of options, which increases the chances of getting what you want from the start instead of having to buy something that requires parts swapping to get there.

At some point I want to get a piston upper, either an Adams or the Brownells. It seems the trend in military rifles is towards pistons, and there are definitely advantages for hard use as well as stocking options. Meanwhile, I’m very happy so far with my economy models with BC uppers on a PSA lower. They certainly shoot well.

The thing that bothers me the most I think. Is that you can buy assembled ones cheaper than the parts. They are so easy to build a monkey could... and getting exactly what you want is often totally impossible unless you part it together. Especially kids rifles... they like to mix colors etc...

BUT Iv'e gotten past some of that and just buy whats close and call it good. Even if it has bells I don't need or want.

Pistons. Since the early 80s I've had gas ARs. I've never had any issue that would drive me to a piston. I have pistons in other guns. Just don't see any place for the real need. So far.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The thing that bothers me the most I think. Is that you can buy assembled ones cheaper than the parts. They are so easy to build a monkey could... and getting exactly what you want is often totally impossible unless you part it together. Especially kids rifles... they like to mix colors etc...

BUT Iv'e gotten past some of that and just buy whats close and call it good. Even if it has bells I don't need or want.

Pistons. Since the early 80s I've had gas ARs. I've never had any issue that would drive me to a piston. I have pistons in other guns. Just don't see any place for the real need. So far.

I haven’t been at this long enough to know much, but I’m learning. That BC I bought had everything I wanted, heavy 20” SS Wilde, rifle-length gas tube, side-charger, and enough rail and slots but not too many.

Those pistons draw me for their simplicity and cool, clean running. That might be more of a theoretical advantage than real for me, but we all have our fantasies🤔 The BRN-180 allows for a folding stock which might actually be a real benefit.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are ways to do a folding stock on a traditional DI AR tho.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But can they be fired when folded?

Besides, that BRN-180 just looks badass….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No - not fired when folded.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never encountered a "shot out" ar-15 barrel in 5.56. Some friends say they've had competition guns where the groups open unacceptably and they replace them, but they are thousands of rounds into them.

Also, in a SHTF scenario, I'm going to use what ever is available, as long as it is available, until something better comes along.

Truth is in an EOTWAWKI event, any of us will be lucky to be around long enough to shoot out an AR barrel.

And finally, if you're not sitting on enough ammo to shoot your barrel out, then this isn't relevant to you anyway.

3,000 rounds per 5.56 rifle/barrel (you can stockpile barrels as well) seems a good target.

I gotta go, I'm behind on reloading by my own account.

Last edited by David_Walter; 03/06/24. Reason: added insightful commentary

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
But can they be fired when folded?

Besides, that BRN-180 just looks badass….

Aw, yes remember the Daewoo's?

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ever tried a Robinson?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had one early on.

Seems these are the basis for the current SIGs.

Until recently, I wasn't sure the piston AR thing was all ironed out, now there seem to be a few good choices.

That said, DI guns run just fine.

I'd still like to snag a folder though.

Originally Posted by Etoh
Ever tried a Robinson?

John Stark.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
biggest weakness on Robinson I had led to locking lug battering. Gas block was not anchored good enough. Went down the road. My folding stock AKs are still going great.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Truth is in an EOTWAWKI ... if you're not sitting on enough ammo to shoot your barrel out, then this isn't relevant to you anyway.

He's not wrong.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/06/24.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Truth is in an EOTWAWKI ... if you're not sitting on enough ammo to shoot your barrel out, then this isn't relevant to you anyway.

He's not wrong.

AND - if that's the case, you're likely in a space where you can "collect" another upper if needed. Me? I'll be looking for certain lowers...

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All good insights.

My wife always comments when watching westerns or shoot 'em up movies, "Why didn't they pick up the bad guys' guns? Either as a back up to their guns or to throw in the river so no more bad guys will get them?"

When I was a young man the SNCOs from Special Forces at Bragg would tell me, "LT, you have to have the ability to pick up any weapon on the battle field and run it until someone on the wrong side of the fight dies to give you their better weapon."

That's led to a life of buy-sell-trade just to get familiar with the pros and cons of different weapon systems.

Hope the day doesn't come where I have to use that knowledge, but I see it in the future.

As they say, "Pray if you want, but there came a point where David had to pick up a stone and deal with Goliath."

Originally Posted by Teal

He's not wrong.

AND - if that's the case, you're likely in a space where you can "collect" another upper if needed. Me? I'll be looking for certain lowers...

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's funny, they talk about how you can't expect any bolt to last 5000 rounds without having to change extractors or springs, or whatever, and how this bolt actually held up pretty well...but then he complains about the gas seal problems (to which the "Asian guy" says a new gas tube and set of rings would fix right up). Changing an extractor at this point is considered S.O.P. (even on the Gucci guns), yet this extractor is fine, and somehow having to change rings and a gas tube is not really acceptable...

And the barrel... He complains about an accuracy loss after several thousand rounds (full auto) and proclaims it "done". No cleaning, and no investigation into any other possible reasons for this accuracy loss. Perhaps something had gotten loose or out of whack, who knows. And the "Asian guy" looks down the bore, and by golly, it don't look bad....

And at the end, after the gun is "done", it's still shooting! Only the occasional hiccup, which was deemed easily fixable. And while accuracy was way down (for whatever reason), I bet you could still get good hits with it at normal combat ranges! But... this gun was deemed utterly unacceptable for anyone who is "serious about shooting". Holy crap. And he lets slip the little chuckle when talking about someone who doesn't have much money to spend on a rifle. What a snobby ass wipe.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
These guys make a lot of money off YouTube. And yes, I find most of them a little snobby.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Stophel
It's funny, they talk about how you can't expect any bolt to last 5000 rounds without having to change extractors or springs, or whatever, and how this bolt actually held up pretty well...but then he complains about the gas seal problems (to which the "Asian guy" says a new gas tube and set of rings would fix right up). Changing an extractor at this point is considered S.O.P. (even on the Gucci guns), yet this extractor is fine, and somehow having to change rings and a gas tube is not really acceptable...

And the barrel... He complains about an accuracy loss after several thousand rounds (full auto) and proclaims it "done". No cleaning, and no investigation into any other possible reasons for this accuracy loss. Perhaps something had gotten loose or out of whack, who knows. And the "Asian guy" looks down the bore, and by golly, it don't look bad....

And at the end, after the gun is "done", it's still shooting! Only the occasional hiccup, which was deemed easily fixable. And while accuracy was way down (for whatever reason), I bet you could still get good hits with it at normal combat ranges! But... this gun was deemed utterly unacceptable for anyone who is "serious about shooting". Holy crap. And he lets slip the little chuckle when talking about someone who doesn't have much money to spend on a rifle. What a snobby ass wipe.

Lucky Gunner, in their testing considered a barrel "done" when it started to keyhole. To me, that's a more objective measure of "done".

As for a bolt lasting 5k rounds, Army rates life of a bolt body at 30K rounds in the rife gassedM16a1/a2. I'm not sure what it is in the carbine gassed M4.

The article of the Vegas Machine gun shoot guys claimed they typically got 60K to 100K rounds out of a bolt body, and sometime even more.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What part are you referring to when you say ‘bolt body’? Are you talking about the bolt or the bolt carrier?

Last edited by K1500; 03/06/24.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by K1500
What part are you referring to when you say ‘bolt body’? Are you talking about the bolt or the bolt carrier?
Just the bolt itself, excluding the extractor, ejector, associated springs and gas rings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some time ago I read an account from a former army armorer who said he was in service while M4's were not yet universal, and they were still using M16 rifles along side of the M4's. After so many tens of thousands of rounds (I don't remember how many it was now), he said replacing broken bolts was common for their M4's. But it was a problem that was almost unheard of in the full length rifles.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The carbine gas system was hard on bolts but mainly hard on extractor springs and extractors. It was several years before the army let Colt put a heavier extractor spring in there or even add the O-ring. They also came up with a better extractor and basically were allowed to fine tune the system. We all benefited from that. When is the last time you saw a blue insert in the extractor spring?

I remember firing a 20” rifle after shooting carbines for years. I thought I had a squib load there was so much difference. M-16’s are as smooth as it gets.

As for the video, he’s an influencer. He gets paid well even if it’s just ammo and products.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it’s pretty well accepted that longer gas systems run somewhat cooler, and certainly heat plays a role in how parts wear, lube is “consumed”, maybe even affects the temper of metal, including springs. My current upper is rifle length and it seems to run smoother, with less buffer “sproing” than my previous mid-length, but something else may be involved. At any rate, it runs very smoothly. I suspect that the piston guns are easier on action parts as well, besides running cleaner (inside the receiver anyway).

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This low cost upper functioned well enough that for the largest part of the gun buying crowd it would meet their needs.

This is exactly the kind of gun to have to leave in the ranch truck, or in the tractor for day to day functionality, without feeling bad about lack of care, or possibly losing it to theft. I've probably shot half as much out of the truck at targets of opportunity as international hunting scenarios, and appreciate a functional, decently accurate beater. Add a PSA red dot or low power scope and call it good.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve got an 18” barrel with rifle gas and it’s certainly smoother than my 16” carbine gassed gun but the difference is not as drastic as it was back in the day. Buffers and springs help as well as properly sized gas ports. Back when I was shooting several Bushmaster carbines and a few other brands, they were terrible. Large ports and carbine buffers were really hard on parts.

Piston guns seem to have their own set of problems as well as not being as accurate as DI. But given a short barrel running suppressed in FA, HK seems to be the answer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I find that mid-length gas is quite a bit smoother than carbine length. You can get mid-length gas in any length barrel that's not an SBR, although not in all brands. Rifle length is even smoother.

I've had barrels that were still shooting quite accurately after more than 5000 rounds. These were good quality barrels that I shot in matches, so they got pretty hot at times.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There are 12.5" mid-gas barrels out there too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pappy,
You are at least 10 years behind the curve.
The piston gun thing was all the rage. Most manufacturers, and all their shills in the gun rags were all in on piston guns. Some only made piston guns.

It ran its coarse, now you gotta look a little to find one.

The Gucci issue guns from FN or HK that use pistons?
They came out of that Era.
The unanswerable question... are pistons the reason for their reputations?
Or, are pistons and timing what got them attention?

The Marines are all in on their HKs, the ground pounders or the brass?

For me, pistons don't bring anything worth the $$$.

Hopefully, I don't get a screaming deal on a SCAR or 416!😉
Like half price.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
There were a lot of problems induced by rate of fire in M4/M4A1 stuff I dealt with, that’ll likely never be a factor for semi-only rigs. There are also so many options in barrel/bolt construction, that longevity varies wildly. Regardless, the point of this and the comments about ammo/volume are spot on: 95% of AR owners have never and will never, own enough ammo to shoot anything out…..much less actually do the shooting it takes. Spare uppers/barrels/bolts are so easy to keep on hand that it doesn’t matter if you do shoot super high volume. Lowers can last forever. The whole ‘gun LEGO’ design is what makes an AR hard to compete with for almost any other choice for the same uses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dunno, I see a fair number of YT videos on them, one each recently by Honest Outlaw and Mrgunsngear, who aren’t shills, on the Adams P2, both very positive. Adams has fixed the issues with their original version, mainly carrier tilt. The .300BO pistol Mike tested is perhaps the most accurate .300 he’s ever tested. The Adams and the BRN-180 are affordable, and apparently reliable. The gas has to go somewhere of course, and the handrails can get pretty hot and dirty during extended fire, but better there than in one’s face, especially when suppressed.

It’ll be a while before I get either as the smoke is still clearing from the two side-chargers I bought. My new lower with an SSA-E trigger lands tomorrow.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
There were a lot of problems induced by rate of fire in M4/M4A1 stuff I dealt with, that’ll likely never be a factor for semi-only rigs. There are also so many options in barrel/bolt construction, that longevity varies wildly. Regardless, the point of this and the comments about ammo/volume are spot on: 95% of AR owners have never and will never, own enough ammo to shoot anything out…..much less actually do the shooting it takes. Spare uppers/barrels/bolts are so easy to keep on hand that it doesn’t matter if you do shoot super high volume. Lowers can last forever. The whole ‘gun LEGO’ design is what makes an AR hard to compete with for almost any other choice for the same uses.

I wonder tho - 5k rounds is about 2200 bucks in ammo if you're getting PPU 55gr FMJ. Cheap stuff. Would it be hard to spend 2200 over 6 months to squirrel away 5k rounds of 556 for most here? Not talking specifically about the video or the 5% left over.

Add another 900 for 5k rounds of 9mm ball - and you're on 10k rounds of the 2 most common SHTF cartridges for defense of home and hearth.

Glock or M&P for little money, AR for little money - no reason why you can't be the biggest warlord on your block when it goes bad for 5-6k.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m too old and creaky to be a “warlord”, have to settle for “gimpy minion”.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Same and there's too many people out there sitting on 5 AR's, 10k ammo but only have 6 total magazines.... Gonna have Grandma Sarah (a Jayhawker, anything from Missouri has a taint about it) sitting by the fire loading for them.

Me

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

I wonder tho - 5k rounds is about 2200 bucks in ammo if you're getting PPU 55gr FMJ. Cheap stuff. Would it be hard to spend 2200 over 6 months to squirrel away 5k rounds of 556 for most here? Not talking specifically about the video or the 5% left over.

Add another 900 for 5k rounds of 9mm ball - and you're on 10k rounds of the 2 most common SHTF cartridges for defense of home and hearth.

Glock or M&P for little money, AR for little money - no reason why you can't be the biggest warlord on your block when it goes bad for 5-6k.
$500/1000 for 5.56 and $265/1000 for 9mm - brass,new.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dla

$425 per 1K for the 556 HERE - PPU
$175 per 1K for 9mm HERE - ball

Both are brass cased.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This.

I tell everyone 1,000 rounds of ammo per pistol and 10 standard mags per pistol.

Rifles? 30 mags and 3,000 rounds.

'Cause you gotta have lotsa loaded mags to be in the fight.

Speaking of grandmas, the KELTEC PMR30 is a great grandma gun with appropriate ammo. Hits hard enough to make an impression, easy enough to rack the slide and to shoot to keep grandma in the game long enough to prevail.

Your mileage may vary.

Same and there's too many people out there sitting on 5 AR's, 10k ammo but only have 6 total magazines.... Gonna have Grandma Sarah (a Jayhawker, anything from Missouri has a taint about it) sitting by the fire loading for them.

Last edited by David_Walter; 03/07/24.

John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This.

I tell everyone 1,000 rounds of ammo per pistol and 10 standard mags per pistol.

Rifles? 30 mags and 3,000 rounds.

'Cause you gotta have lotsa loaded mags to be in the fight.

And a way to carry them. Lots of people cracking about Larpers with their chest rigs but damn, 8 magazines on your chest, 1 in the gun and 2-4 on the waist is a lot better than 1 in the gun and 1 in a pocket of your cargo shorts.

Me

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Dang it! if things get that sporty here in rural Ky. I'm movin to St. Louie or Chi town.

I know, the only time you can have too much ammo is if you're swimming or on fire, but.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was an interesting video.

Looks like the vast majority of rounds were fired full auto. Add in a suppressor and that schedule was brutal and nothing 99% of shooters would ever be able to do.

Even the rental M-16s at the local indoor range are not abused that hard.

The barrel was fouled out, not shot out. A little gator skin won't hurt much but all that carbon and copper is a real problem.

The Huxwork Flow suppressor is notorious for fouling build up and that could have been causing the accuracy issues.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
The Huxwork Flow suppressor is notorious for fouling build up and that could have been causing the accuracy issues.

Interesting. Why? Intuitively I'd think the glass flow would cause havoc on the suppressor rather than feeding that gas carrying the carbon back into the rifle? Comparing suppressed v suppressed.

Me

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Looks like the vast majority of rounds were fired full auto. Add in a suppressor and that schedule was brutal and nothing 99% of shooters would ever be able to do.

The barrel was fouled out, not shot out. A little gator skin won't hurt much but all that carbon and copper is a real problem.

I suspect a muzzle bore diameter gauge would prove you wrong.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL.

Show the class a picture of a "muzzle bore diameter gauge".

I have Deltronic pins in .0001 steps to measure muzzle diameters.

I might have a bit better handle on how barrels die than average.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Interesting. Why? Intuitively I'd think the glass flow would cause havoc on the suppressor rather than feeding that gas carrying the carbon back into the rifle? Comparing suppressed v suppressed.

2 parts.

The Huxworks Flow has small channels for the gas flow and it's recommended to clean the suppressor every 2 thousand rounds.

Suppressors in general drive more fouling back into the barrel causing fouling in both the barrel and action to build up faster.

The HW Flow is better than most suppressors for less build up in the barrel and action but worse than most for fouling build up in the suppressor. It's a complicated design that requires 3D printing to manufacture.

Soaking in CLR seems to do a good job removing fouling so it's not a bad problem but GT was not cleaning anything and that was a pretty hard test of the suppressor.

I would have loved to test the sound level at shooters ear and muzzle before and after his run and see how much weight the can picked up in carbon fouling.

The Flow was a good choice for this test as a high back pressure can would have cause much greater issues. The guy (GT) is no dummy and he choose the Flow for a reason. Huxworks should be happy with the results.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got it. That makes sense. I'm familiar with the Hux and the flow through ideas when I was shopping but never saw one cut to see the inside.

Me

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
According to HuxWrx, he killed almost half the life of the can but you can do that when things are sent to you for free.

I bought mine thinking there was no way I'd shoot 20,000 rounds through mine on that SBR but now I'm shooting it on everything, hate to shoot unsuppressed. I need to buy another can.

And ammo or at least brass. Found 100 Lapua cases last night I had forgot I bought for my Montana but my bucket of IMI M193 brass is gonna keep me busy for awhile after checking prices on commercial brass. Bullets, primers and powder I'm good on.

And maybe a chest rig...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
According to HuxWrx, he killed almost half the life of the can but you can do that when things are sent to you for free.

I bought mine thinking there was no way I'd shoot 20,000 rounds through mine on that SBR but now I'm shooting it on everything, hate to shoot unsuppressed. I need to buy another can.

And ammo or at least brass. Found 100 Lapua cases last night I had forgot I bought for my Montana but my bucket of IMI M193 brass is gonna keep me busy for awhile after checking prices on commercial brass. Bullets, primers and powder I'm good on.

And maybe a chest rig...

I think soaking in CLR every 2K or so will greatly extend the life cycle on the Flow.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

LOL.

Show the class a picture of a "muzzle bore diameter gauge".

I have Deltronic pins in .0001 steps to measure muzzle diameters.

I might have a bit better handle on how barrels die than average.

Yes. A pin gauge of the proper diameter:

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR

And maybe a chest rig...

I think soaking in CLR every 2K or so will greatly extend the life cycle on the Flow.
CLR the clacium, lime and rust remover?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR

And maybe a chest rig...

Originally Posted by TWR
CLR the clacium, lime and rust remover?

Yes. Sold at walmart in the silver bottle.

Works like magic on carbon.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla

Both are brass cased.
Is that delivered to your door?

The prices I quoted are for a local business I can walk in and carry out.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Keeping in mind: those of us here and ARFCOM, etc….fairly minor to super serious AR shooters, are only a drop in the bucket of AR owners, and while ‘we’ may buy, stockpile, and shoot thousands of rounds through them, the rest of that 95% never will. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not crapping in the piston guns, for full auto, serious military use, they
do have advantages. And cons. And co$t.

Just saying that the advantages are overblown.
For serious operators.

Which means for me, they are nothing but academic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well no one would ever mistake me for an operator, the stick I lean on of late is a dead giveaway!😜

Right now, for the piston-curious, Adams Arms has a complete 16” upper available on backorder for $499.99, about half the regular price. Looked pretty hard at that, but am sticking to what I have for a while.

https://adamsarms.net/product/upper-p2-5-56-16-aars/

Last night I stumbled on the Blackout Defense boutique rifles. Wow! Definitely not $400….

https://blackoutdefense.com/product/quantum-dualtaperlock/

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Piston guns?

They aren't piston, but I've seriously been thinking of buying a Sons of Liberty gun.

PSAs and a Rock River, I'd like to buy a highly regarded fighting gun.
Just to see what it offers over my scummy ars.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Adams is a piston, that one the preferred P2. They also make conversion kits. Not sure if the kits are as good as the P2 or P3 guns. The P3 appears to be the same as the P2, but maybe with better parts.

The Blackout Defense is just a Gucci DI gun with lots of subtle, expensive tweaks. Mrgunsngear did a pretty complete review and it’s an impressive setup. Whether it’s worth the money to anyone is up to them. I’d like one for certain, but $2500 and up is a lot of money.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like this guy for a gun review.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I think they last a hell of a lot longer than most buyers interest in that gun does. Bought a dpms Oracle for $500 when that was the going rate years ago. Sighted in a red dot on the rec. As well as a laser on the picatinied gas block. Probably put 250 -300 rds thru it checking function and reliability. With those sights it is my house gun. Last forever , simply does not get the volume of rds thru it my scoped ar does that I use for varmints and such. As simple as Lay's potatoe chips can't have just 1..mb you know I wouldn't chit you.

I've got an Oracle, too. I think I paid $440 for it, back in 2017, at Rural King. It works, it shoots well enough (1.5"@100 with old ammo I built for prairie dog shooting, even better with some ammo). I don't shoot it much, I only bought it to piss off the liberals, anyway, but it's a reasonably good rifle for the money. I'll likely never wear mine out, because I just don't care to shoot it much. I got burned out on ARs when I was in the Army, long ago and far away. For my wants and needs, it's a good rifle. I do chase a coyote with it now and then, but it bores me pretty quickly.
I like my CZ 527s better for such things like coyotes, groundhogs and stuff, but the Oracles work well enough.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've never encountered a "shot out" ar-15 barrel in 5.56. Some friends say they've had competition guns where the groups open unacceptably and they replace them, but they are thousands of rounds into them.

Also, in a SHTF scenario, I'm going to use what ever is available, as long as it is available, until something better comes along.

Truth is in an EOTWAWKI event, any of us will be lucky to be around long enough to shoot out an AR barrel.

And finally, if you're not sitting on enough ammo to shoot your barrel out, then this isn't relevant to you anyway.

3,000 rounds per 5.56 rifle/barrel (you can stockpile barrels as well) seems a good target.

I gotta go, I'm behind on reloading by my own account.
Krieger tube. Years ago of course. 7 twist. Wylde chamber. I have it somewhere still with the chamber cut open just to see. Something around 12,500 rounds through it. It would not hold much at 600 yet I won the Louisiana state service rifle championships with that barrel. I knew it was dead. But also thought I could shoot it well enough to be ok. Last match of the year. New barrel already at the house, we typically kept 2/3 ready to swap out.
Lets just say I could not clean the 600 yard target anymore with that barrel. I suspect it was a 1.5 moa or worse barrel at that point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most people don't shoot well enough to even know if they are shooting 1.5 MOA groups, or if the gun is capable of 1.5 MOA or less.

6 X 1.5 = 9 inches ~~ minute of man

SHTF still good to go.

To 99% of the population, 600 yards is way the fuque out there.

Lets just say I could not clean the 600 yard target anymore with that barrel. I suspect it was a 1.5 moa or worse barrel at that point.

John Stark.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Most people don't shoot well enough to even know if they are shooting 1.5 MOA groups, or if the gun is capable of 1.5 MOA or less.

6 X 1.5 = 9 inches ~~ minute of man

SHTF still good to go.

To 99% of the population, 600 yards is way the fuque out there.

I agree on both counts. I also never knew 600 was as easy as it is if you train a lot. It becomes easy IF you get the wind call good...

Of course 10 ring to 10 ring, IE clean target, is 12 inches wide basically. Any hit in a 12 inch circle is going to hit or be dang close...give me 5 shots at that distance and one or more will hit even with an innacurate, to me, barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the S hits the F, I am NOT going to be engaging my enemy from 600 yards away (or 400 or 300..). If they are still that far away, it means that they don't see me yet, and I want to keep it that way. I'm sure as hell not going to start lobbing shots at them, especially with a .223 rifle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When the S hits the F, I am NOT going to be engaging my enemy from 600 yards away (or 400 or 300..). If they are still that far away, it means that they don't see me yet, and I want to keep it that way. I'm sure as hell not going to start lobbing shots at them, especially with a .223 rifle.
Its a decent theory I suppose. But situationally dependent too.

As to 223 and long shots.... no deer has survived out to almost 600 so far... or pig.... I wouldn't want to stand at 600 in front of my 223 anyway... and the dope is really easy. The dope from there out to 1000 gets a bit weird at times though.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If someone is shooting at me at 3-4-5 or even 600 yards, I have the dope to even the odds. It far from likely but so is SHTF.

Now if a coyote is barking at me at 600 yards and just won’t make the move cause he’s busted me, I might stand a chance. But I’ll be honest and say I’d rather have my 22-250ai.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's entirely possible if you can see 600yds then so can the bad guy.

In some crazy, not going to happen, SHTF scenario I would much rather have a gunfight at 600yds than 50yds.

I can get headshots at 600yds with my ARs while most any bad guy will just be "lobbing shots". Over reach matters.

At 50yds anyone can get lucky and distance favors the skilled rifleman.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's almost nowhere I would ever be where you could even see 600 yards away, much less be able to practice shooting at that range!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There's almost nowhere I would ever be where you could even see 600 yards away, much less be able to practice shooting at that range!

Well that kinda sucks.

Around here it's very much possible, and normal, to do so. Here's a short vid of myself stretching out a 308Win, to 1800 yards, and I'm only a couple miles from the house.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Damn, that rifle would be no good at all for herd-shooting at the elk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

What herd shooting you referring to?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Here in the south we have trees and stuff, and 600 yards is a long shot except over fields or down power lines. At the rate they are building houses and moving the country into the suburbs won't be too many fields left in 10 years.

OTHH who knows what the next SHTF is going to look like. Could be 3/4 of the populace dead by some as of yet unleashed virus, and the rest too hungry to move. Then could be a nuclear attack and we be mostly all dead anyway. Could be massive social unrest, if at all possible to me it would be best to be as far away from the massive social unrest crowd, anything you do will most probably cycle back around and find you as "Kyle Rittenhouse 2" guilty, cause the DA'a in these places are politically motivated. Then again how would one man living in a suburban neighborhood fight a hundred that are in an equally armed mob and win?? Looks like Barbecue there in Haiti is doing pretty good with his mob.

I myself have grown out of my Ralphie and his red rider bb gun saving himself and his family, because the Black Bart's of the world will shoot you into swiss cheese and overwhelm most of us with sheer numbers, then they will have your 10,000 rounds of ammo and your $2500 AR15 (another reason the $400 gun make more sense whistle. ).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Here in the south we have trees and stuff, and 600 yards is a long shot except over fields or down power lines. At the rate they are building houses and moving the country into the suburbs won't be too many fields left in 10 years.

OTHH who knows what the next SHTF is going to look like. Could be 3/4 of the populace dead by some as of yet unleashed virus, and the rest too hungry to move. Then could be a nuclear attack and we be mostly all dead anyway. Could be massive social unrest, if at all possible to me it would be best to be as far away from the massive social unrest crowd, anything you do will most probably cycle back around and find you as "Kyle Rittenhouse 2" guilty, cause the DA'a in these places are politically motivated. Then again how would one man living in a suburban neighborhood fight a hundred that are in an equally armed mob and win?? Looks like Barbecue there in Haiti is doing pretty good with his mob.

I myself have grown out of my Ralphie and his red rider bb gun saving himself and his family, because the Black Bart's of the world will shoot you into swiss cheese and overwhelm most of us with sheer numbers, then they will have your 10,000 rounds of ammo and your $2500 AR15 (another reason the $400 gun make more sense whistle. ).

Well the average city block is 200 yards long, give or take so the ability to keep threats at a distance isn't strictly a rural/wide open spaces thing. There's merit to being prepared to bug out. Wildfires, the East Palestine Train derailment, Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods etc - Grab n go, you got 15 minutes - I'd want to be armed, even tho it's not a Mad Max deal.

I think it's possible crumbling infrastructure causes periods where regions will need their people to be really self sufficient when it comes to security or community policing. I've yet to see any reason why such a situation wouldn't attract bad actors. Having a plan or at the least, means to handle isn't a bad idea.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're bugging out over roads, especially interstates, you're in the open where you can see and be seen over 600 yards.

John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Nothing personal towards anyone. Just being a general smartass. Dry sense of humor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing personal towards anyone. Just being a general smartass. Dry sense of humor.

I had some history like that years ago and wondered if that was what you were referring to…

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve practiced to 1800 yards... just because it was fun.

As to where you will be, well there are times you have NO clue where you might be in the future.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I had some history like that years ago and wondered if that was what you were referring to…

When a man hungry, got to do what you got to do.

Not going to eat if you don't put some lead in the air.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I"ve practiced to 1800 yards... just because it was fun.

As to where you will be, well there are times you have NO clue where you might be in the future.

600 yards is not that far.

Had idiots tell me there isn't anywhere around here to shoot 4 or 500 yards at a deer.
Not saying many should, but it's darn easy to step into afield an see 500 yards.
It's not hard to look hilltop to hilltop at distances I wouldn't consider a shot at a deer.

Mostly, our shots are the 100 and under. But even in the woods sometimes we find openings or a lane where 200 yard shots are very possible.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s easy to get to 600 down power lines and across fields, Jarret makes a heavy deer rifle specifically for that. It’s nice to see that the PSA will go 5000 rounds on FA before it goes south. PSA is making the Everyman AR15! A hell of a lot more useful than a pistol. To me the mixed ability to make fast 10-50 yard hits, and then to perforate a grape fruit sized target at 500 yards using a weapon that does not weight 10-12 pounds, does not wear a 6-60 power scope, is reliable in its performance, and also will last 5-10K rounds is more important than FA, binary triggers, 7 inch pistols, or bump stocks. A 7 pound rifle that is easy to carry and accurate with a 1-8 scope ??? whistle

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Both are brass cased.[/quote]

Maybe I did something wrong, or they just couldn't get it to Ky. in a reasonable way, but they ask me nearly $100 to ship one case of 5.56. The very best deals, especially on ammo usually come with a catch.
I try to remember the names of companies that try that crap. Remember not to click on their site again.

I checked a couple of other places just see if I wasn't up un current prices. Both places were $24.xx for Fes X & $26.xx for UPS.

Last edited by gunzo; 03/13/24.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
https://www.velocityammosales.com/products/223-remington-ggg-55-grain-full-metal-jacket-bulk-case/

Cheapest I could find this morning.

S&G is .50 per round with free shipping.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gunzo.

Ammoseek.
They list the best deals from retailers.
And show a ranking on shipping costs.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks Dillon, I spend a bit of time there. Find deals along with low buck dealers that have shipping prices far above their rating & vise versa. So it's still up to the buyer to research their own purchase.
Buyer beware.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Usually the cheapest few dealers on ammoseek have about a $200 per case shipping fee. Of course there's no way to know that until you put in all your info like you're completing an order. They can't just let you put your zip in and get and estimate.

Those sites are probably ran by some old school car salesmen that git fired for missing off too many car buyers. I hate having to put in all my info to find out what shipping is. If they won't give you an estimate up front I just figure they're slime balls and move on. I wish ammo seek was more clear on they shipping cost ratings. Maybe they could put the word rape on the shipping estimator for those shipping gouger sites.

Bb

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.