Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by TWR
According to HuxWrx, he killed almost half the life of the can but you can do that when things are sent to you for free.

I bought mine thinking there was no way I'd shoot 20,000 rounds through mine on that SBR but now I'm shooting it on everything, hate to shoot unsuppressed. I need to buy another can.

And ammo or at least brass. Found 100 Lapua cases last night I had forgot I bought for my Montana but my bucket of IMI M193 brass is gonna keep me busy for awhile after checking prices on commercial brass. Bullets, primers and powder I'm good on.

And maybe a chest rig...

I think soaking in CLR every 2K or so will greatly extend the life cycle on the Flow.
Originally Posted by TWR
CLR the clacium, lime and rust remover?

Yes. Sold at walmart in the silver bottle.

Works like magic on carbon.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
There were a lot of problems induced by rate of fire in M4/M4A1 stuff I dealt with, that’ll likely never be a factor for semi-only rigs. There are also so many options in barrel/bolt construction, that longevity varies wildly. Regardless, the point of this and the comments about ammo/volume are spot on: 95% of AR owners have never and will never, own enough ammo to shoot anything out…..much less actually do the shooting it takes. Spare uppers/barrels/bolts are so easy to keep on hand that it doesn’t matter if you do shoot super high volume. Lowers can last forever. The whole ‘gun LEGO’ design is what makes an AR hard to compete with for almost any other choice for the same uses.

I wonder tho - 5k rounds is about 2200 bucks in ammo if you're getting PPU 55gr FMJ. Cheap stuff. Would it be hard to spend 2200 over 6 months to squirrel away 5k rounds of 556 for most here? Not talking specifically about the video or the 5% left over.

Add another 900 for 5k rounds of 9mm ball - and you're on 10k rounds of the 2 most common SHTF cartridges for defense of home and hearth.

Glock or M&P for little money, AR for little money - no reason why you can't be the biggest warlord on your block when it goes bad for 5-6k.
$500/1000 for 5.56 and $265/1000 for 9mm - brass,new.

$425 per 1K for the 556 HERE - PPU
$175 per 1K for 9mm HERE - ball

Both are brass cased.
Is that delivered to your door?

The prices I quoted are for a local business I can walk in and carry out.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Keeping in mind: those of us here and ARFCOM, etc….fairly minor to super serious AR shooters, are only a drop in the bucket of AR owners, and while ‘we’ may buy, stockpile, and shoot thousands of rounds through them, the rest of that 95% never will. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not crapping in the piston guns, for full auto, serious military use, they
do have advantages. And cons. And co$t.

Just saying that the advantages are overblown.
For serious operators.

Which means for me, they are nothing but academic.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well no one would ever mistake me for an operator, the stick I lean on of late is a dead giveaway!😜

Right now, for the piston-curious, Adams Arms has a complete 16” upper available on backorder for $499.99, about half the regular price. Looked pretty hard at that, but am sticking to what I have for a while.

https://adamsarms.net/product/upper-p2-5-56-16-aars/

Last night I stumbled on the Blackout Defense boutique rifles. Wow! Definitely not $400….

https://blackoutdefense.com/product/quantum-dualtaperlock/

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Piston guns?

They aren't piston, but I've seriously been thinking of buying a Sons of Liberty gun.

PSAs and a Rock River, I'd like to buy a highly regarded fighting gun.
Just to see what it offers over my scummy ars.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Adams is a piston, that one the preferred P2. They also make conversion kits. Not sure if the kits are as good as the P2 or P3 guns. The P3 appears to be the same as the P2, but maybe with better parts.

The Blackout Defense is just a Gucci DI gun with lots of subtle, expensive tweaks. Mrgunsngear did a pretty complete review and it’s an impressive setup. Whether it’s worth the money to anyone is up to them. I’d like one for certain, but $2500 and up is a lot of money.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like this guy for a gun review.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I think they last a hell of a lot longer than most buyers interest in that gun does. Bought a dpms Oracle for $500 when that was the going rate years ago. Sighted in a red dot on the rec. As well as a laser on the picatinied gas block. Probably put 250 -300 rds thru it checking function and reliability. With those sights it is my house gun. Last forever , simply does not get the volume of rds thru it my scoped ar does that I use for varmints and such. As simple as Lay's potatoe chips can't have just 1..mb you know I wouldn't chit you.

I've got an Oracle, too. I think I paid $440 for it, back in 2017, at Rural King. It works, it shoots well enough (1.5"@100 with old ammo I built for prairie dog shooting, even better with some ammo). I don't shoot it much, I only bought it to piss off the liberals, anyway, but it's a reasonably good rifle for the money. I'll likely never wear mine out, because I just don't care to shoot it much. I got burned out on ARs when I was in the Army, long ago and far away. For my wants and needs, it's a good rifle. I do chase a coyote with it now and then, but it bores me pretty quickly.
I like my CZ 527s better for such things like coyotes, groundhogs and stuff, but the Oracles work well enough.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I've never encountered a "shot out" ar-15 barrel in 5.56. Some friends say they've had competition guns where the groups open unacceptably and they replace them, but they are thousands of rounds into them.

Also, in a SHTF scenario, I'm going to use what ever is available, as long as it is available, until something better comes along.

Truth is in an EOTWAWKI event, any of us will be lucky to be around long enough to shoot out an AR barrel.

And finally, if you're not sitting on enough ammo to shoot your barrel out, then this isn't relevant to you anyway.

3,000 rounds per 5.56 rifle/barrel (you can stockpile barrels as well) seems a good target.

I gotta go, I'm behind on reloading by my own account.
Krieger tube. Years ago of course. 7 twist. Wylde chamber. I have it somewhere still with the chamber cut open just to see. Something around 12,500 rounds through it. It would not hold much at 600 yet I won the Louisiana state service rifle championships with that barrel. I knew it was dead. But also thought I could shoot it well enough to be ok. Last match of the year. New barrel already at the house, we typically kept 2/3 ready to swap out.
Lets just say I could not clean the 600 yard target anymore with that barrel. I suspect it was a 1.5 moa or worse barrel at that point.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most people don't shoot well enough to even know if they are shooting 1.5 MOA groups, or if the gun is capable of 1.5 MOA or less.

6 X 1.5 = 9 inches ~~ minute of man

SHTF still good to go.

To 99% of the population, 600 yards is way the fuque out there.

Originally Posted by rost495
Lets just say I could not clean the 600 yard target anymore with that barrel. I suspect it was a 1.5 moa or worse barrel at that point.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Most people don't shoot well enough to even know if they are shooting 1.5 MOA groups, or if the gun is capable of 1.5 MOA or less.

6 X 1.5 = 9 inches ~~ minute of man

SHTF still good to go.

To 99% of the population, 600 yards is way the fuque out there.

Originally Posted by rost495
I agree on both counts. I also never knew 600 was as easy as it is if you train a lot. It becomes easy IF you get the wind call good...

Of course 10 ring to 10 ring, IE clean target, is 12 inches wide basically. Any hit in a 12 inch circle is going to hit or be dang close...give me 5 shots at that distance and one or more will hit even with an innacurate, to me, barrel.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the S hits the F, I am NOT going to be engaging my enemy from 600 yards away (or 400 or 300..). If they are still that far away, it means that they don't see me yet, and I want to keep it that way. I'm sure as hell not going to start lobbing shots at them, especially with a .223 rifle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Stophel
When the S hits the F, I am NOT going to be engaging my enemy from 600 yards away (or 400 or 300..). If they are still that far away, it means that they don't see me yet, and I want to keep it that way. I'm sure as hell not going to start lobbing shots at them, especially with a .223 rifle.
Its a decent theory I suppose. But situationally dependent too.

As to 223 and long shots.... no deer has survived out to almost 600 so far... or pig.... I wouldn't want to stand at 600 in front of my 223 anyway... and the dope is really easy. The dope from there out to 1000 gets a bit weird at times though.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If someone is shooting at me at 3-4-5 or even 600 yards, I have the dope to even the odds. It far from likely but so is SHTF.

Now if a coyote is barking at me at 600 yards and just won’t make the move cause he’s busted me, I might stand a chance. But I’ll be honest and say I’d rather have my 22-250ai.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's entirely possible if you can see 600yds then so can the bad guy.

In some crazy, not going to happen, SHTF scenario I would much rather have a gunfight at 600yds than 50yds.

I can get headshots at 600yds with my ARs while most any bad guy will just be "lobbing shots". Over reach matters.

At 50yds anyone can get lucky and distance favors the skilled rifleman.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's almost nowhere I would ever be where you could even see 600 yards away, much less be able to practice shooting at that range!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There's almost nowhere I would ever be where you could even see 600 yards away, much less be able to practice shooting at that range!

Well that kinda sucks.

Around here it's very much possible, and normal, to do so. Here's a short vid of myself stretching out a 308Win, to 1800 yards, and I'm only a couple miles from the house.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Damn, that rifle would be no good at all for herd-shooting at the elk.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.