Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MikeS
At the end of the day I like to decide what matters for me based on my own results.

1000 yards prone/sling/irons groups

.284 Win, 184 Bergers SD 5.4 FPS Vertical 6.56"

[Linked Image]

.308 Win 155 Bergers SD 13.1FPS Vertical 16.37"

[Linked Image]

This group has double the shots of the first, but you can clearly see the elevation differences corresponding different velocities shown on the right.

The "positive compensation" effect mentioned in other posts above is not to be discounted, but I'm not certain it can be relied upon over different conditions.
Mike i agree 100% if I wanna change something I tezt it myself, I consider myself lucky I can lean on a very successful 1,000 BR shooter if have a gun that isn't were I want it all I have to do is text him a pic of my targets and he gives me suggestions after we text or talk about it.
I've also shot with him for a couple years alot when he does his testing which is usually Jan and Feb in Montana winters which aren't very pleasant we always set are targets up and everything ready and are shooting as soon as we can see. He would shoot at 890 and me at 700.
One mourning I watched him test 3 different firing control systems different bolts with different weight springs and pin dia. in his BAT action Light Gun, pretty eye opening at the rests. How many do that? or even measure pinfall, protrusion or change springs? My guess is not many.
I know some dont even own an annealer, couldnt tell you there runout because they don't measure it, use mandrels to open up necks because they don't want to disturb the carbon inside the neck its there lube albeit you have to turn necks for that or clean case only the outside they wipe it down with alcohol to get all the case lube off. Grip on bullet is another big one and only using inline dies to " feel" the seating force you can never do that with the " Competition " seater.
I'm not to the point yet were I use a force pack but if I feel any difference in seating a bullet the round comes apart and I start over. Everything I just mentioned was basically taught me by some really good 1,000 BR shooters because I asked questions and saw the results for myself on target not because some article, computer or number said otherwise.
People can believe this stuff or not it really doesn't matter to me but some just wanna attack you because some 9,10 20 year old article says different.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you run a 6mm 105 Berger over there ballistics calculator at 2900 then at 2920 to 1,000 yards it should have 5" vertical but I've seen that shoot only 2" vertical.
My 6.5x300wsm waterlines at 2.5 wide x.5 vert at 665 with an E.S at 22fps, I do need to get it to stand up a little.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not doubt that. I have had a loads for past barrels (RIP) that seemed pretty immune to velocity spreads and I attributed that to the upward movement of the muzzle interacting with the exit time of the bullet. It is only recently that I have heard of the term "positive compensation". I am glad that I shoot sling (competition) and don't really need to be concerned about a lot of this. As a Professional Engineer I can appreciate it though.

Perhaps a thread on weight sorting primers? grin

Last edited by MikeS; 03/03/24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[
Where is anyone here saying you need single-digit ES? Single-digit SD, maybe, but SD is very different from ES. In a Gaussian distribution, SD is approximately 1/6th of ES.

Actually, the estimate of SD is ES/4. And that will be "rough".

Then to get a realistic estimate of the real world variance, you should use at least +/- 3 SD, or to be even more certain, +/- 6 SD.

MM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MikeS
I do not doubt that. I have had a loads for past barrels (RIP) that seemed pretty immune to velocity spreads and I attributed that to the upward movement of the muzzle interacting with the exit time of the bullet. It is only recently that I have heard of the term "positive compensation". I am glad that I shoot sling (competition) and don't really need to be concerned about a lot of this. As a Professional Engineer I can appreciate it though.

Perhaps a thread on weight sorting primers? grin
That would certainly explode some heads lol

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well, this thread has convinced me that some people are obsessive about some things. 😂

Al

Spend your life wisely.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Feral_American
From my short time of observations here, I think too many obsess over insisting things don't matter.

For those people, may they be forever blessed with only half sharpened hunting knives, and trucks stuck in limp mode......

Could not have said it better myself.

Had a coworker that lived by the opinion that, if he could hit an 8 inch paper plate at 100 yards, he was good to go.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[
Where is anyone here saying you need single-digit ES? Single-digit SD, maybe, but SD is very different from ES. In a Gaussian distribution, SD is approximately 1/6th of ES.

Actually, the estimate of SD is ES/4. And that will be "rough".

Then to get a realistic estimate of the real world variance, you should use at least +/- 3 SD, or to be even more certain, +/- 6 SD.

MM
That entirely depends on your confidence requirement. Assuming a meaningful sample size, ES is well-described by a range of 6*SD (+/- 3 from the mean) that captures approximately 99.7% of the population. Using 4*SD captures 95% of the population, which is still a fairly good estimate of ES.

N
N
Some really well known famous gun guy somewhere back in the day said only accurate rifles are interesting

I think we sometimes forget that "back in the day" an accurate rifle was 1.5moa
and many "well known famous gun guys" were satisfied with 2moa

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nanuk
Some really well known famous gun guy somewhere back in the day said only accurate rifles are interesting

I think we sometimes forget that "back in the day" an accurate rifle was 1.5moa
and many "well known famous gun guys" were satisfied with 2moa

That particular famous gun guy was only THE Townsend Whelen......who needed/needs no introduction.

Care to venture a guess what a rifleman like him would do with our modern means and methods if he were alive and shooting/handloading/wildcatting today?

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B3

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (6mmCreedmoor, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 9 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,390
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.