Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just got back from Cabo and listened to one of the resort's spiels about timeshares. High pressure, answer for everything type of pitch. After 4 or 5 no's they got it down to what seemed fairly reasonable. I still said no. Makes me curious though, does anyone actually own a timeshare? Is it working out or a money pit?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hell no!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, but it doesn't stop the calls and letters offering to help me sell my (nonexistent) timeshare. crazy

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know of a guy who buys and sells them.
He makes decent money on some auction site, “1 week in Myrtle Beech $xxxx”

Otherwise, they are a money pit.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
go look at websites where individuals are trying to sell one they bought. I can remember in 2009'ish time frame, there were some listed for $1. People were just desperate to get out from under them.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, don't go to any invite they offer high pressure they don't understand what the words Not Interested means. Hell if one salesman can't convince you they send another one, we went once in Branson, MO never again almost had to fight our way out of there. No telling how many people get suckered into that trap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think maintenance fee's and other "fee's" can be increased at any time?

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by centershot
Just got back from Cabo and listened to one of the resort's spiels about timeshares. High pressure, answer for everything type of pitch. After 4 or 5 no's they got it down to what seemed fairly reasonable. I still said no. Makes me curious though, does anyone actually own a timeshare? Is it working out or a money pit?
Please, never sign up for these. While membership fees "never increase " other, more hidden fees/costs do; you are locked in to a place/time for your vacation, and there is no resale market or value for your interest.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
No

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
very high pressure business. and they try to "save" you monies by using their credit card offering, as the points can be used toward your time share. I have sat in on a few "offerings" and they are very insistent. My girlfriend at the time had an "every other year" timeshare that we made work. but she was extremely frugal and we would use the regular weekdays when able (weekends use more points). She always managed to use all her points and not leave anything on the table. From the outside looking in, most would NOT fare as well.

Last edited by Lorin; 03/04/24.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We went through 3 different sales persons in Cancun, always saying no.
The fourth and last guy was the big head honcho - he said “ call me Santa, cuz I come bearing gifts”....
Then he up and offered us a “used timeshare”....! I laughed at him and said “they’re all used timeshares”.
He finally ended our business by saying “get out of here”. Literally! We still laff about it.😅

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They must be selling a few cuz they keep on giving away trips and such trying to get more sold.

They do keep Chuck MacDowell busy.

The wife and I had a weekend in Branson, MO many moons ago, courtesy of a timeshare seller. We learned two things that weekend.
1. We never, ever, want a timeshare.
2. Branson, MO sucks.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did anybody get a free canoe/life raft/boat from a timeshare sales meeting? Free lunch??

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The meal wasn’t great.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
never have attended one.

I got an ad to attend one once - a free ski vacation in return for sitting in on a 90 minute presentation.

I thought it was odd - they were going to put me up in a hotel, not even stay at the timeshare.

I hear all these horror stories about them not letting you leave - what prevents someone at the 90 minute mark from just getting up and walking out?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe
The meal wasn’t great.

that's unfortunate - looks like I'll be spending some time in Wichita next summer. Closest thing of interest seemed to be Branson.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Did anybody get a free canoe/life raft/boat from a timeshare sales meeting? Free lunch??
The one in Branson was $100 and they fought hard to keep that offer, but lost we used that $100 we got at a couple shows.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
The one in Branson was $100 and they fought hard to keep that offer, but lost we used that $100 we got at a couple shows.

I made the mistake of signing up for the Toyota Tacoma giveaway inside of bAss Pro Shops - it was a Silverleaf Resort scam out of Branson. Those idiots called me for TWO years trying to get me to sign up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went to many of them in Ol' Mehico in the 90's along the Messican Rivera during the hey day. Too many free really good meals and comps to remember. Never succumbed.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I can't believe the timeshare business is still alive and well, but as PT Barnum said...

We have friends who have not one but two timeshares at a high-end Caribbean resort. They've had them for many years and go there every year for a few weeks. Wife and I have gone down with them a few times. I can't see getting locked into a particular weed or two of vacation at the same place, every year forever. Also, the numbers just don't add up. There is no logical reason to get a timeshare.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,560
Posts18,473,140
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.