-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good LPVO is quite a bit better in low light.

Enough to matter in my opinion.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it all depends on where your truck is. Middle of no where WY or MT, definitely would want a low power variable. More urban settings, I want a holograph/red dot.
My current SBR has a Holosun 510 with a 2MOA dot and 65MOA circle. For up close, put the target in the circle and pull the trigger.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lotta truth to that.

The AR I use the the most these days has a 3-9x on it. I do wish it went lower on the power though

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve used a Steiner P4xi and they’re very good.

The Accupoints have excellent glass and I’d like to try a red triangle 1-4 on a patrol gun.

I have a Credo (HX?) 1-6 with the Hunter BDC reticle and IMO they’re the real sleeper in the LPVO market. Excellent glass, daylight bright, and drop proof.

I also have an Eotech Vudu 1-8 that’s excellent.

FFP in a 1-4 or 1-6 are dumb and dear useless for close stuff.

At 1-8 I’d consider FFP depending on the reticle and availability of an offset dot.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve got the same Credo HX 1-6 with BDC and it is my favorite LPVO does everything one could ask of a 1-6 in a GP carbine. The 1-4 Accupoint should be a darling out to 300 yards.

But I still favor my red dots for SHTF truck gun. More specific my 11.5” Colt with my H2 Aimpoint on it. But when I think of truck gun, that’s one that lives in the truck for emergencies and has the cheaper Romeo5 on it. My Colt/H2 stays locked up in my safe.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone has their likes & preferences, but for me, I want versatility in a SHTF truck gun, so I want either a 14.5" or a 16" rifle with an LVPO.

There is really only one scenario that a red dot / holo sight does things better than the scope & that is up close & the scope is nearly as good, at least for me.

All other scenarios, the scope has a pretty distinct advantge............but that's just my thinking.

Like I said, everyone has preferences & that's why there are options.

MM

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sam, curious what you do with the HK91. I picked one up a few months ago that appears to have not been fired.

Nice, clean 91.

Shot mine awhile with a Z4 in a claw mount, but switched to a SWFA 1-4x on B&T rail. Got a trigger pack from Bill Springfield. Added a cheek riser.

Load 155 gr SMKs and get at or just over 1" at 100 yds. Ball is more like 2-3". Local range goes out to 400m for steel or paper. That's alot farther than we can shoot deer, ME cover such as it is.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For those with a DOT - you all basically in a PA/Aimpoint thought or any love for EOTECH?

Me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If the conversation is drifting towards what would I leave in my truck. My buddy brought me a bunch of PSA parts with some cheap upper they make, an anderson lower IIRc and we put together a lower and the gun for him, I have no idea what he paid for the parts, but he is a thrifty man, we have shot it twice now and it works fine, I steered him towards slip 2000 and he keeps it well lubed. He has some cheap LPVO scope on it from somewhere. To me a truck gun would be something like that, if someone steals it your not out a lot of money, now you have me thinking about a project like this, me I would get a barrel with a FSB and put a carry handle on the gun, deja vu, and out to one hundred for me at least you would be good to go.

https://midwestindustriesinc.com/mi-ar15-m16-carry-handle/

I am going to add a question, what type of SHTF do you think might happen.

Last edited by jimmyp; 03/04/24.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Teal
For those with a DOT - you all basically in a PA/Aimpoint thought or any love for EOTECH?
I love the idea of an EOTech but battery life or lack of, kills it for me. I’ve tried a half a dozen or more and always go back to Aimpoint.

Saw yesterday that PSA or Primary Arms had the Sig Romeo5 on sale for $109.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TWR
I love the idea of an EOTech but battery life or lack of, kills it for me.

Same here. Anything with a kill switch is out of consideration. And I can't make the EO bright enough for looking into bright sunlight.

Feel same re motion activators - why I prefer the Romeo MSR over the newer Romeo 5. PSA has the MSR at $80 just now. Have one on a 9mm Response, just trying it out. Everything else has Aimpoints, various models.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A side note... We never had issues dumping full mags on a body silhoutte with irons to 600, so optics make life easer all around and any optic on a body target should work pretty good way beyond most folks needs.

Again if you are head shooting prairie dogs and such its different. I get that. OTOH I've killed more than a few deer scaring the heck out of 600 with irons on an AR15.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I guess it all depends on where your truck is. Middle of no where WY or MT, definitely would want a low power variable. More urban settings, I want a holograph/red dot.
My current SBR has a Holosun 510 with a 2MOA dot and 65MOA circle. For up close, put the target in the circle and pull the trigger.

^This.

I have both, and I use both and I like both.

There are some guns that I have earmarked for certain things. Like, HD. Those all have dots of some kind or another. I'm a bigger fan of the eotech style circle dot reticle because my eye picks up on it faster than just a little small 1 or 2 moa dot.

For any gun that I would likely be using outside and at more distances, I have 1-4, 1-5, and 1-6x scopes. Many of them also have a larger outer ring around the bullseye reticle like the bushnell Circle X. Which still is faster for me to pick up.

[img]https://www.xhunter.com.au/assets/thumbL/BN01555LP.jpg?20210204035936[/img]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
A side note... We never had issues dumping full mags on a body silhoutte with irons to 600, so optics make life easer all around and any optic on a body target should work pretty good way beyond most folks needs.

Again if you are head shooting prairie dogs and such its different. I get that. OTOH I've killed more than a few deer scaring the heck out of 600 with irons on an AR15.
We have a steel range out to 1000 yards and after awhile shooting that far gets frankly, either boring or aggravating depending on the wind.
At 400 yards we have a dueling tree, at 300 we have a 1/2 size silhouette, 200 we have 7" plates. We find it more enjoyable to grab a carbine and shoot red dots and irons out to 300 yards and while frustrating, 400 is doable but much easier with a LPVO. Shooting out to 300 gave me lots of respect for a red dot.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

Trijicon MRO on my 14.5" BCM. Zero issues with the MRO. My range runs to 300 yards and that set-up is very effective near or far. I have another rifle set up with a Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 1.5-4x green illuminated dot. The LPVO is good, it is effective. On small targets at over 200 yards it is probably the better option. But I really like the smaller profile lighter weight MRO best. They each have a place.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If your rifle may be used as a people shooter outdoors positive target ID is mandatory. Many folks can get hits on mansized targets at 300 yards w/ irons or a red dot but you won't be able to see their hands or what those hands hold w/out magnification. Taking target discrimination out of the equation makes life easier.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
If your rifle may be used as a people shooter outdoors positive target ID is mandatory. Many folks can get hits on mansized targets at 300 yards w/ irons or a red dot but you won't be able to see their hands or what those hands hold w/out magnification. Taking target discrimination out of the equation makes life easier.

mike r

Exactly. Dots are fine for people. Magnification is for finding the right people, and then shooting only certain pieces of them.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good thread

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blue,

I'm so stealing this line.

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Magnification is for finding the right people, and then shooting only certain pieces of them.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Blue,

I'm so stealing this line.

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Magnification is for finding the right people, and then shooting only certain pieces of them.

Yeah. I wish I had said thatgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 74 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,776
Posts18,476,982
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.