Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
This might should go in the hunting optics section, but it applies to AR and Tactical rifles too. My brother in law (who isnt going to spend a lot of money on optics) got a Monstrum Tactical scope for Christmas this past year. I looked at it and checked it out thinking that it was going to be a cheap piece of junk with terrible eye relief. I was VERY wrong. I went to their site a few weeks later because I was building a 5.56 and thought I would look at their LPVO scopes. I ordered a 1-4 that came with a cantilever mount, and an extra throw lever. Shipping was FAST and FREE and the scope is truly incredible. I paid a whopping $125 shipped for this scope and it has great eye relief, a very sharp image, and what seems to be good glass. It is a bit on the heavy side, but its not unbearable considering its a 30mm tube.

Since then, I have ordered their RAVEN RMR site, a prizm scope, and a tactical flashlight and EVERYTHING I have ordered from them has been excellent. This is very high quality stuff considering what I paid for all of it. Not to mention, I emailed the email listed on their website just to thank them for the fast shipping and how pleased I was with the quality of their products and I received an email a few minutes later from an actual human thanking me for my business. I say all that to say if you havent checked them out and need a good low priced optic for a build you should definitely consider Monstrum.

I have no idea if they are made in China or wherever, but so far everything I have gotten from them works flawlessly. Even if it didnt, everything has a lifetime warranty.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen their stuff on amazon and scrolled on by, good to know, might give them a try sometime.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dude I started to say something real smart A but decided against it. Carry on.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My youngest son gave me a monstrum 1x prism this past Christmas for a 10mm AR that I made to deer hunt with. I think it said it was the blackbird model?????

It has the option of red/green illumination if you want it. So far, I haven't felt the need to use the illumination yet, but may in the woods, especially during early or late hour.

It's very heavy for a 1x optic. I like it though. That gift came from the heart and I like it.

The click adjustment on mine was kinda weak, but so far has held zero, so maybe that's just the way it was made???

I have no real complaints about it. I've only had the 1 range trip with it yet, but so far so good.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've never seen stuff made that didn't say where it was made at.

But thats besides the point.

Good info. Good to know. And lots of cheap stuff gets somewhat overbuilt in weight to make up for quality of materials. Its very much like an steel suppressor vs a titanium in a way. Steel holds up as well, but its heavier and cheaper.

One simply has to decide.

As I've said I have bear creek stuff and custom built uppers with specifically ordered barrels etc... Each has its place.

Thanks for the post!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by rost495
I've never seen stuff made that didn't say where it was made at.

But thats besides the point.

Good info. Good to know. And lots of cheap stuff gets somewhat overbuilt in weight to make up for quality of materials. Its very much like an steel suppressor vs a titanium in a way. Steel holds up as well, but its heavier and cheaper.

One simply has to decide.

As I've said I have bear creek stuff and custom built uppers with specifically ordered barrels etc... Each has its place.

Thanks for the post!

I should have clarified that I haven't checked to see where its made so I was unsure. I know China stuff bothers some people.

I would imagine that you are right about them being overbuilt to account for cheaper parts. My 1-4 weighs 17oz according to the site but I havent weighed it. If thats true, thats not terrible but its quite a bit heavier than like a vx freedom 1.5-4.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by johna1
My youngest son gave me a monstrum 1x prism this past Christmas for a 10mm AR that I made to deer hunt with. I think it said it was the blackbird model?????

It has the option of red/green illumination if you want it. So far, I haven't felt the need to use the illumination yet, but may in the woods, especially during early or late hour.

It's very heavy for a 1x optic. I like it though. That gift came from the heart and I like it.

The click adjustment on mine was kinda weak, but so far has held zero, so maybe that's just the way it was made???

I have no real complaints about it. I've only had the 1 range trip with it yet, but so far so good.

Like you, I havent used the illumination either. I have never been a big user of illuminated reticles. I have the 3x Blackbird in FDE and its a tank (10oz) but it works very well.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have had illuminated scopes since the 80s for some reason. Just end up with them here and there.

I can't recall ever really using the illumination. Even shooting pigs in moonlight before night vision and thermal I prefer to use just the crosshairs. Seems to my eyes that any light, even almost barely lit, takes away from vision. Daytime it does not but then again black works fine in daylight so...

Other than the BDC feature that you have to use on the sig BDX scopes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Monstrum 1-6 LPVO on an AR. Honestly, save your money and buy something better. Mine is like looking through a toilet paper roll. I only bought this particular scope, as the upper it was on, I won. I only used it for plinking, and while it does ok with that, I would not buy another one. Maybe you’ll have better luck, but it’s also made in Chy-na!

Last edited by Hudge; 03/05/24.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I only buy their flip up scope covers….cuz they’ll work good for something I might break anyway.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hudge
I have a Monstrum 1-6 LPVO on an AR. Honestly, save your money and buy something better. Mine is like looking through a toilet paper roll. I only bought this particular scope, as the upper it was on, I won. I only used it for plinking, and while it does ok with that, I would not buy another one. Maybe you’ll have better luck, but it’s also made in Chy-na!
Most low end scopes are like that. If they hold zero and adjust the way you can figure it out, then it is what it is.

You want good light, then you pay for it. How much you need is how much you pay.

Swarovski just got hold of my bank account.... on the low end Burris AR332 work pretty dang good for the cost.But they are not bright.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of low price stuff works well. The problem is sorting through the crap to get to the good stuff. This site is a good place to hear about bargains and also sales.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudge
Most low end scopes are like that. If they hold zero and adjust the way you can figure it out, then it is what it is.

You want good light, then you pay for it. How much you need is how much you pay.

Swarovski just got hold of my bank account.... on the low end Burris AR332 work pretty dang good for the cost.But they are not bright.

Nope fully aware of cheap stuff looking like a toilet paper roll. I’ve got a 1-6 Sig LPVO that is light years above the Monstrum. Heck, I’ve got 2 cheap 1-4’s that are better than it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
a sig isn't 125. Or send a link lol

What are the other cheap 1/4s better. Honestly it never hurts to know as I may get a wild stupid hair and buy one or two per your suggestion.

Though its hard for me to buy cheap these days on optics. Well relatively cheap.

Use the 1/4s in matches?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a sig isn't 125. Or send a link lol

What are the other cheap 1/4s better. Honestly it never hurts to know as I may get a wild stupid hair and buy one or two per your suggestion.

Though its hard for me to buy cheap these days on optics. Well relatively cheap.

Use the 1/4s in matches?
No, the Sig was $300, but still what many may consider cheap if you will. One of the others is a Cabela’s AR scope which is ok, still better than the Monstrum. I’ll have to dig the other one out of the safe, but I think it’s. Hi-Lux. Got a deal on it as it was the first cheap scope I bought. No issues tracking, etc. it saying I’d take it to combat, but range days are just fine with it.

Matches, no never shot a rifle match only some pistol matches 79S got me in.

Last edited by Hudge; 03/06/24.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good info. Thanks.

Got some kind of Sterling? scope on a rifle the wife won a few years ago. Had not really heard of them. Found out they were kinda cheap as I suspected but the dang combo shoots under MOA to 300. Clear enough to kill stuff with. Holds zero.

Since I rarely ever calculate to click correct but simply dial the scope to the center of the groups not sure how it does there, but once there it holds.

But for many years now I go 10 clicks past any correction and then come back and that seems to help or at least not hurt all scopes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
maybe Doug at Cameraland will start carrying Monstrum? Maybe EuroOptics?? On a gun that I might need to hit something that is going to hit me or a game animal that I want to eat, I am definitely going Monstrum now. I am hoping Burns and Stick will have a big fight over Monstrum vs Leupold vs Arken vs Nightforce.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I bought a set of Monstrum rings off Amazon to mount an optic on my Ruger PC9. They seem fine for a budget-friendly 30mm ring. They were something like $36.00.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I bought a set of Monstrum rings off Amazon to mount an optic on my Ruger PC9. They seem fine for a budget-friendly 30mm ring. They were something like $36.00.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

While I don’t care for their scopes, and I own one, their cantilever scope mount has done me well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 15 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,940
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.