Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Keep an eye out guys, if you are like me and use AR Comp:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's spendy, but if you buy it in the 8 pound keg, it's about $55/pound at Scheels. I'm waiting on one of their next 15% off sales, they have every year.

Keep an eye out though, as you may see some of this AR Comp available in your area as well. Or if you buy online, it might start popping up.

I haven't seen AR Comp in a couple years, so it was good to see it on the shelf.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think I paid $165.00 for my first 8 pounder of AR Comp, when it came out.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve seen AR Comp quite regularly here, but at $72-$80 a pound, I’m not buying.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love AR Comp, and have used it for years. The last time I saw it was 2 years ago. I bought 10 pounds of it, at $45/pound. I thought that was a little expensive, but I burn it up, and it's damn consistent. Now, there may be some other powders out there that are almost as good, but a lot less money. I've heard mention of StaBall match, or some of the cheaper Shooters World match rifle powder. Any of you guys switch from AR Comp to one of these powders and have just as good of luck with it?? Or any other powder than may need to be considered, that is less expensive??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hudge
I’ve seen AR Comp quite regularly here, but at $72-$80 a pound, I’m not buying.

I don't blame you. That is highway robbery!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man! That's just depressing looking at those price tags.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Man! That's just depressing looking at those price tags.

i think we better use to it

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I got a 8lb keg at sportsmans a few months ago for $340, im not sure why it was cheaper then, but it was a whole lot better than that, so I bought it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Anotherreloader123
I got a 8lb keg at sportsmans a few months ago for $340, im not sure why it was cheaper then, but it was a whole lot better than that, so I bought it.

Damn, that was a good snag!! The main thing is at least we are starting to see it on the shelves again. I still have quite a bit of the 10 pounds I bought 2 years ago, but have not been burning it up like i used to, since it's been unobtanium.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like AR Comp, but when it disappeared, I moved on to 8208, VV-540, & more recently StaBall Match.

I'm not going back at the current price of Alliant's powders & all the others do equally as well or better.

MM

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I like AR Comp, but when it disappeared, I moved on to 8208, VV-540, & more recently StaBall Match.

I'm not going back at the current price of Alliant's powders & all the others do equally as well or better.

MM

Now, lets don't get carried away. I don't know if any of those is "better". If it is, I'll buy it!!!! I find AR Comp to be some of the most consistent powder, that produces some very accurate/precise ammo. The nice thing about it, is I can drop the charges right from the powder measure and into the case. Saving tons of time, as I hate fn around with the tiny .223 rem case. Of the powders you list, which one works best with 69's and 77's. Thanks buddy..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bsa,

All the powders listed above, flow very well...........8208 & 540 are very small grained tubular, the StaBall match is ball & all flow as well as AR Comp, IMO.

Accuracy wise, all 3 are about the same for me, but I'm still in the relatively early stages with the StaBall, but I like it a lot so far.

Velocity wise, 8208 does about the same as AR Comp; 540 & StaBall Match do better.

Right now, if I could only have one for 69's & 77's, it would be VV-540 & it's generally available, as is the StaBall................8208 is pretty scarce, but I have a good supply.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
bsa,

All the powders listed above, flow very well...........8208 & 540 are very small grained tubular, the StaBall match is ball & all flow as well as AR Comp, IMO.

Accuracy wise, all 3 are about the same for me, but I'm still in the relatively early stages with the StaBall, but I like it a lot so far.

Velocity wise, 8208 does about the same as AR Comp; 540 & StaBall Match do better.

Right now, if I could only have one for 69's & 77's, it would be VV-540 & it's generally available, as is the StaBall................8208 is pretty scarce, but I have a good supply.

MM

Excellent info. Thanks!! I appreciate it. I have used IMR 8208XBR, and really like it. I guess one of the problems is, I can't remember if I tried it in the .223 rem. My 308's love it though, and I really like how it meters. Like you said, though, that powder can be hard to find. I'm going to keep an eye out for VV-540, but in the past, when I've seen it, it was damn expensive!!! That was back in the days when powder was $30.00/pound (including AR Comp). I will definitely keep an eye out for it and give it a try though. I trust your judgement buddy.. Thanks!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VV powders used to be on the high side for price, but they haven't gone up as much as others so they are pretty comparable to everything except Alliant's stuff at the latest prices.

My load with 77' & 540 is 25 gr.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good info. I'll remember that. Thanks!

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,715
Posts18,475,585
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.