Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image from adfg.alaska.gov]

Strange how they get stymied at the Canadian border, eh?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would really like to try spearing them
Here is Saginaw Bay they do it through the ice
Very close to me but I have not personally done it

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatboy
I would really like to try spearing them
Here is Saginaw Bay they do it through the ice
Very close to me but I have not personally done it

Hank

I haven't done that in 15-20 years but it is legal here and a real hoot too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I love spearing pike.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Did quite a bit of dark house spearing when young until the state started putting musky s in so many lakes and shut it down.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image from adfg.alaska.gov]

Strange how they get stymied at the Canadian border, eh?
Turdeau’s fault I suppose. 😉

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ironbender;
Good morning my friend, I hope you and your fine family are well and rested after the weekend.

With the understanding that if at all possible I would also assign that to PM Socks, I'm not sure that the evidence supports that particular thesis.

Since it's me and all, I'll share a couple quick "Jackfish" stories from my Saskatchewan youth.

When I was about 12, I was splitting firewood at the firepit on shore in front of the dock of our church camp which was on Greenwater Lake, SK.

Presently a boat was heading directly to our shore, a driver heading in at fair speed and another chap fishing whose rod was mightily bent over. As the boat contacted the beach, the fisherman leapt out and dragged to shore the biggest, meanest pike I'd seen to date and since. It looked huge ironbender and was obviously unhappy about being caught.

Buddy shouted asking me something like, "Hey do you have anything to knock this jackfish on the head with kid?" and I handed him the axe, which he took with thanks, spun it around to use the poll and proceeded to give the fish at least two and perhaps three solid whacks on the top of it's head.

After we saw it was dead, he said they didn't have a net big enough to hold it, thus the run for the shore.

I want to say they did weigh it and it was just a tad over 18lb but I can't recall if they measured it, likely not as that might not have been a thing in the early '70's.

Second tale with jackfish goes like this.

We'd gone under farming and I was working for a local cabinetmaker as we planned our move out west to BC.

In what would become a foreshadowing of things to come in my career with table saws, I managed to change the shape of my left thumb and despite a local small town doctor treating it, a few days on it began to stink so my wife took me to the closest hospital emergency since I wasn't going back to that doctor.

When I came out from there, a young RCMP Constable was talking to two somewhat disheveled looking fellows, all three who were opposite where my wife had been sitting waiting for me.

The details are somewhat lost in the fog of 40 years passing ironbender, but the tale my wife finally got out between bouts of laughter was more or less this.

The two fellows were out fishing in an aluminum boat and in true Saskatchewan fashion were also consuming much brewed barley product, being patriots and wanting to keep local farmers in business single handedly no doubt.

One of them caught a jackfish, which my wife understood to be "about this big" when the fellow held up his hands to the RCMP Constable, so perhaps 30" longish?

The fish wasn't happy being caught apparently - a trend we'll notice with them it seems - and as the barley infused fellow was trying to retrieve his lure, likely a Len Thompson spoon, as he called it, the "damned jackfish" latched onto him with grim determination.

His friend waded into the fray and somehow lost his balance, fell and struck his head on the boat, cutting it open reasonably well.

That meant it was left to only one of them to battle the pike, which bit him in a couple more spots before as he told the constable, "then the damned thing jumped out of the boat!"...

She still talks about that day ironbender.

Honestly though, how many times in one's life will one hear about a fish beating up two fishermen before returning itself into the Saskatchewan slough?

All the best.

Dwayne

PS;
She indicated that the RCMP Constable was there on some other business, knew at least one of the fishermen and the incident then wasn't an official police matter, even though violence had been committed.

She also indicated that the Constable was not able to contain his laughter, not even a wee bit.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Great stories again, Dwayne. Thanks!

The bit blaming the sparkle socks was TIC, as I’m certain you know. Any opportunity to mock that character.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have never combined water/boats (or guns) with properly prepared grain products, back when I was imbibing. I don't have a lot of smarts, but I have that much. Not to mention I have done so bank fishing. That's different.

I can understand how it might be hard to make out which fish to grab when only one was on the hook .... smile

Last edited by las; 03/04/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
As Mike indicated, we have had pike introduced illegally or accidentally- probably the former - here on the KP. One such place that had (perhaps still does??) is Sevena lake, from which drains Soldotna Creek, into the Kenai River. Hence the salmon concerns. I'm not sure if they treated that lake, but they should have. When pike on the KP comes up, I always think of this incident. Close to me, Mackey Lakes are also float plane lakes that have or had 1-2 lb hammer-handles, mostly. But I was looking for bigger fish.

I was looking for access to Sevena Lake for pike fishing and followed the only narrow single-lane road to it- a couple miles long, that ended at a home site or homestead on the lake. A guy came boiling out and demanded what I was doing. I apologized, stating my intent, asking if I could put my canoe in there. He cooled down, and said I was welcome to go fishing any time. That 2 mile or so road was all his private drive, across wet muskeg mostly, put in by himself, at his own labor and expense. And yes, there is a "Private Drive" sign, and sometimes locked gate on it where it leaves public Robinson Loop.

I was subbing at the local schools, and one of the teen girls in a class some time later asked if her dad "had been mean" to me. I assured her he had not been. She then related that the fall before some bozo out moose hunting had parked his new F250 midway along the road, blocking it, locked, then gone hunting off-road, when her dad had to go to town. Or at least wanted to.

He backed all the way back up to his yard, climbed on the D8, cleared the road, and went to town.

Last edited by las; 03/04/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
BC30 that’s funny. My first year up there I was fishing out of Lake Aleknagik Ak. And before heading up I had a buddy tell me to watch out for the pike as the damn things will bite ya (he always had to make everything dramatic) After a couple of weeks I got a free evening and grabbed a couple of the dock boys and a boat and went pike fishing out in a small bay. We were fishing with top water plugs and wire leaders and the things were snapping about every cast but we weren’t hooking many. I finally waited for the tug and set the hook which got my first pike to the boat so I grabbed my camera and took a picture. The pike was laying on its side so I reached down to grab the steel leader to release the thing with pliers when the damn thing came out of the water bit my finger and as fast as it could happen it was laying on its side like nothing happened. Those things are fast and a lesson was learned as I never got left bleeding again.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother was playing a crappie lure at the side of the boat just to watch its action. A 10 pound or so pike made a rush at the lure, which startled the daylights out of my brother, so by reflex he jerked the lure out of the water before the pike could get it. I told him, "Be careful - you might catch something."

An ex-boss fileted a few pike and then started to clean up. To amuse his kid, he made a show of sticking his finger into a dead pike's mouth with predictable results. Yes sir, dead pike latched onto his finger with authority resulting in a lot of cursing and dancing, and a couple stitches at the doctor.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've heard lots of stories about southern bass fisherman catching their first pike and thinking they can stick their thumb in it's mouth to lift it into the boat. hahaha

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That’s funny Rooster. Hell I had been warned about it and still got bloody man them things are quick.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I've heard lots of stories about southern bass fisherman catching their first pike and thinking they can stick their thumb in it's mouth to lift it into the boat. hahaha

You mean you can’t lip a Pike? How about a Muskie? laugh

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It was many years before we ever got to a place with pike. But well before then we knew about them and how to deal with them.

It always blows me away how ignorant so many are on so many topics yet they are willing to blindly jump in and prove their low IQ.

The good thing about pike is it will usually only be a one of from what I've seen.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Nestucca
That’s funny Rooster. Hell I had been warned about it and still got bloody man them things are quick.

Yeah they are and the cuts they leave are like paper cuts on steroids. Sting like hell.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

That's a lie. You can on both of them.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
At least once.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

That's a lie. You can on both of them.

Well, you can.

I just don't recommend it. lol

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 73 invisible), 16,197 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,184
Posts18,543,263
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.