Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
T Inman;
Good morning my cyber friend, I hope the day in your part of the world is breaking bright and fair and that you're well.

Thanks for your input on the thread, I appreciate you taking the time.

My experience is predominantly with deer/bear/sheep sized animals and I do my level best to emphasize that always as I don't know how much that differs from larger animals.

For us and I'm guessing perhaps yourself as well, when we began processing our own game meat, then helping family and friends to theirs here, it was eye opening to see the results of different bullet weights and types in terms of tissue damage.

As you and others here know about me, I'm a fairly firm believer that twist or better said bullet rpm will also play a role, so a fast twist .300 Win that gives higher initial projectile rpm than a slow twist .300 Weatherby with lower projectile rpm will yield different results in tissue damage, certainly more with some bullet construction types than others, but likely noticeable.

When my .308 Norma was a .338 Win and something like 3 mulie bucks and 3 black bears got perforated with it, I really didn't see any difference in tissue damage or animal reaction being hit between it and an '06.

Further down that thought path T, when we were evacuating for one of the neighborhood wildfires, I recall saying to my good wife that if the place burned, I'd not build another "magnum" rifle as the recoil vs results weren't worth it for me.

That said T, I still hunt with the .308 Norma all these years later because the place didn't burn down and it's become a wee bit of a "lucky" rifle somehow.

Oh and yes, I realize that there's no such thing as "luck" and that superstition is silly - nonetheless, here I am... laugh

All the best to you my friend.

Dwayne

U da man Dwayne….like usual.
I too have noticed how twist and/or rotational velocity has an effect on how badly a critter is tore up. The effect seems more pronounced with lightly constructed bullets but I have seen indications of such with bonded bullets too. It is a real phenomena.

I still have and do sometimes hunt with a magnum (.375 H&H as well as a few others) but I generally just don’t see the advantage anymore. Big bears in the willows could be a possible exception. I did take an ancient griz boar in 2022 with a .300 Win Mag with 180 CoreLokts and as expected, it worked just fine. I wasn’t afraid of the recoil at all. It just isn’t my style anymore…

You take care down there.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
[quote=SLM]You are starting to look pretty good.

Keep the sex change progress pics coming, the hormone treatments are starting to work.
They work, but are about like driving a semi to the grocery store to ‘ be a man’.
This is pretty much how I look at it, using a sledge hammer to drive a trim nail.

A bit of a different deal but this is part of the reason I got rid of my 10 gauges. Still using the same shot size in smaller gauges but I am not packing a 10# shotgun and getting my brain scrambled every time I pull the trigger.

I sold my BPS 10 gauge several years ago for that exact reason.

I have taken 6-8 turkeys via 20 gauge and (gasp) normal pheasant loads since then. I don’t even know what choke I use, but it isn’t a special ‘turkey choke’ at all. I won’t recommend #8 dove loads for turkeys, but a decent weight of #6 shot has been just fine, out to 50 yards easily.

I rarely hunt waterfowl anymore, but don’t miss that 10 gauge there either. I had magnumitus badly in my teens but by 30 or so, it seriously waned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine was my HS graduation present from the family. My best friends boy was wanting a 1 or 2 years or so ago, probably 21 at the time. I was on the phone with my buddy when the kid said something, told him to drive his ass to my house and he could have my BPS.

About 100 rounds of turkey loads and a few hundred steel loads. Factory chokes and 2 or 3 turkey tubes.

He hasn't killed anything but coons with it but likes it.

I hope it serves him as well as it served me but I haven't missed it one bit.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by jetjockey
I’ll throw a monkey wrench into the conversation. 300WSM and 300WM factory 200gr Federal Terminal Ascents state 2810fps on the box. Turns out, that’s out of a 22” barrel. Guys I know are cronographing them at just over 2900fps+ with 24” barrels, and close to 3000fps with 26” barrels. I currently own a semi custom Kimber Classic in 300WSM and a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 300WBY. Yes, the WBY is about 100fps faster, but that’s minimal. IMO, the fact that the 300WSM is a short case, and they can be built around smaller guns, just makes them so much nicer to carry in the field than the WBY.

There is something wrong with either your chrono or the Weatherby. I own three of them and with factory or my handloads (189gr) i attain the published velocity of 3250 FPS. That in my view IS significant.

True Dat!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From a deluxe 26" tube MK V

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Oldagpilot
John Wayne hunted with a 300wby and I doubt he complained about recoil be a man.
If it takes hunting with a 300 Weatherby to be considered a man, I'll gladly consider myself a member of the mangina clan.

IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
It’s a joke everyone is so sensitive I’ve got one never shoot it thing kicks like a mule I use a 270 most of the time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jetjockey
I’ll throw a monkey wrench into the conversation. 300WSM and 300WM factory 200gr Federal Terminal Ascents state 2810fps on the box. Turns out, that’s out of a 22” barrel. Guys I know are cronographing them at just over 2900fps+ with 24” barrels, and close to 3000fps with 26” barrels. I currently own a semi custom Kimber Classic in 300WSM and a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 300WBY. Yes, the WBY is about 100fps faster, but that’s minimal. IMO, the fact that the 300WSM is a short case, and they can be built around smaller guns, just makes them so much nicer to carry in the field than the WBY.
I get a solid 2980 fps average with the 200 grain Terminal Ascent out of my Nosler M21 24”. They wear a Shilen premium barrel. That was with a less than max load of RL26. I jugged one and it blew through seven one gallon jugs, retained an even 175 grains of weight and expanded to.708” diameter. I have yet to kill anything with it but I’m thinking it might work OK.
However, whatever a 300 Win Mag can do a Weatherby can do faster. That’s the whole point of Roy Weatherby’s artistry and when calculating energy velocity is squared.

KE= 0.5 x m x v2

Last edited by brinky72; 03/20/24.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 38 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,571
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.