Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Not wanting one or interested really. Just curious if anyone had run one or several and what thoughts are on their quality.

Seems that I don't hear much of them.

Good/Bad?

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I examined a Twin Peaks (single wall, floorless) at a local store last fall and it looked pretty well built. The owner (a sheep hunter himself) told me he sold a couple to some hunters that used them in the Brooks Range during some pretty nasty weather and they did fine. I plan to check it out again for possible purchase when he gets them back in stock.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had the Hubba Hubba for about 2 years and have no complaints. Has held up well and haven't had any problems with water.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Can you configure a stove with pipe into the hubba hubba?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
haven't seen a stove in a floored tent. i believe it would promptly melt a hole in the bottom unless there was a floor cut out.
the hubba series seems to be a pretty popular tent with pct thru hikers as it ventilates well and is pretty durable.

Last edited by jimkirk; 01/08/08.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used the one man last fall.

Light weight, not real good for ventilation, Lousy for storage. But I did sleep well in it and it did what it was supposed to.

[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/su35/DeerHunt07016.jpg[/img][/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
elkcreek:
I've got one. A Fusion-3 model. I think this one is discontinued tho. It's a 3 man tent that weighs in the neighborhood of 8 lbs. I got it in 2002 for a Brooks Range sheep hunt and have used it all the way from the Brooks Range for hunting to the Kenai Peninsula for fishing. We took it to the Brooks again this last Aug. for a sheep hunt too. I got the 3-man since my hunting partner & I are on the rather "large" side so decided we'd want the extra room.
I can tell you that this tent is hell-for - stout and free standing too. The people at MSR, so I've been told, actually use their gear & if it doesn't work out, it doesn't go on the market. As far as I'm concerned, I look at MSR first for what I want for outdoor gear. In my opinion, the quality of your equipment will make you or break you - your life can depend on it. Then again, when we go on a trip it's for an extended period of time - 2+ weeks in the Brooks on a sheep hunt. No communication with the outside world, that sort of thing. I can only say that I rely on it and don't think you'd go wrong.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 01/09/08.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
David,

I don't know if you'd be able to configure a stove in the Hubba Hubba. It may be possible if you set it up with only the fly and footprint though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MSR bought out walrus a few years back. The walrus designs are still used in them. they are pretty nice tents. If you can get your hands on an older walrus you would be plesently surprised at the quality.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
That's right, in researching some about them I read a bit about them picking up Walrus.

The only MSR products I've actually used are snowshoes and a multi fuel stove. Nice shoes and stoves, and they are quite common in dealer showcases. But I never see their tents.

In their catalog there are some wild looking designs like the Wind series. For sure there is some strange angles and design going into these things. But one never sees these in use or afield by anyone.

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
MSR also bought out Moss. They made some damn fine tents.

Ed T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
also made some dang fine patches!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Anaconda, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 16,927 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,184
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.