Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hello all. I'm kinda at a crossroads with my Sako L461 Vixen. It is in .222 but my hearts desire if for a .223 due to more readily available ammo. So with that in mind I am considering a rebarrel or just moving/trading it to another rifle in .223. Thinking a CZ527 Carbine. Most of my research points to moving it instead of rebarreling it. It has the Borfors steel barrel and is nice and accurate. I even considered reaming the chamber to .223 but Ive read that can have mixed results. Looking for opinions or even a reccomend barrel maker that could do the swap. I really like sleekness of the rifle and the action so I wouldn't mind keeping it, but if its cost prohibited then Im not to attached to moving it.

If i do decide to move it, how is the market on the Vixens? Ive seen some all over prices on these things. Mine is definitely shooter grade and not a collector. The action is great, the barrel Borfors steel, strong rifleing, clean bore and front iron sight, has a few nicks in it. The stock has been ran hard. Nice walnut, cheek piece and Structurally sound, it definitely needs a refinish job though. Its on my to-do project list but wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. Looking for some opinions.
I know the first thing someone will post is that pics are needed, and I agree. I will throw some up this evening when I get home from work.

Looking for some opinions before I take my next steps.

Last edited by Steelruger22; 03/06/24.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If barrel twist is a concern you have, you’ll get some relief with some 527s, 1-9” IIRC on later ones. If the twist you have is okay, maybe a simple re-chambering will get you where you want to be at far less cost than rebarreling.

Don’t forget that the 527 is a dead duck, so if you go that way, grab some magazines while you can. Last I looked, .223
mags were still available, but dollars to donuts there will be no more when they’re gone. Nice as the 527 is, it’s not a Sako.

Another option is to buy a Tupperware .223 like a Ruger American or even a budget AR. Both options would be close to the cost of a new barrel, or probably dickering up a 527, as those are hot items now.

I saw a good bit of .222 ammo for sale at Grafs and Midway, some PPU at $16.49. That’s not bad at all. $500-$600 will buy a lot of .222 ammo.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’d be interested the Sako if you decide to sell.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would take the money you’re going to spend and invest in a hand loading kit. You’ll gain in every gun you have going forward and make that 222 into one of your favourites.
Original sako L461s are valuable when they’re in excellent condition.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yeah, looking into it the .222s are twisted at 1:12" good enough for light bullets in .223. 1:9" would definitely be better though.

I have a 527 in 7.62, and while I like the platform, its not as trim or smooth as my vixen but with that said, I do like them.

I do have a .223 SS American compact, its a good rifle and fills the entry level beater rifle slot, like to keep this role in the next higher quality tier.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
I would take the money you’re going to spend and invest in a hand loading kit. You’ll gain in every gun you have going forward and make that 222 into one of your favourites.

I agree with you 100%, I roll my own now for many of my guns...to many infact as I am about to move my only .243 to cut that one from the lineup. Don't really want to go down the rabbit hole of starting up reloading for the .222 right now.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Buying a set of dies is not going down a rathole. Your imagination seems rather limited. Better just sell it before you do something real stupid.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I would think a rechamber to the .223 is the way to go. I would find a very good gunsmith and get it done. The 1in 12 twist will still handel 60 gr bullets. I have a vixen in .222 mag and I love that little rifle. I bought it new in the early 60's from a wholesale house in NY. Those were the days.
Have a great day.
Jim

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Buying a set of dies is not going down a rathole. Your imagination seems rather limited. Better just sell it before you do something real stupid.

Your right, some dies and I'll be good to go, thats all that's needed.

Guess my imagination is tied up with being active duty military, a husband, father of four and everything else in this life that isn't elective. When I do find time to devote to making rounds and load development it goes to one of the dozen other calipers that I shoot. Maybe somday when I am retired and have more time on my hands then sense I'll load for everything. Until then .222 is something that I dont have time to mess with right now.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters

Great advice^^^. That's what I'd do. For damn sure would not trade it for a 527. That's just me though. I know guys love those 527's. I saw one locally for $800/scoped, the other day..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Ha ha.. Some guys huh??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
FWIW, I got an L46 that had been reamed to 223. Turned out to be the most accurate rifle I own....or did own. My 18 year old grandson came up from FL a couple of months ago to shoot my guns and the Sako went home with him. It shoots bullet weights up through 55 gr like a champ. The 60 gr Partition would barely stabilize but did manage to stay close to MOA. Anything heavier than that was hopeless. Using the tight patch method, I measured the twist to be between 13 and 14. Don't know if my measurement was off or the slightly newer L461s had a slightly tighter twist. Take that info for what it's worth in making your decision.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hook
FWIW, I got an L46 that had been reamed to 223. Turned out to be the most accurate rifle I own....or did own. My 18 year old grandson came up from FL a couple of months ago to shoot my guns and the Sako went home with him. It shoots bullet weights up through 55 gr like a champ. The 60 gr Partition would barely stabilize but did manage to stay close to MOA. Anything heavier than that was hopeless. Using the tight patch method, I measured the twist to be between 13 and 14. Don't know if my measurement was off or the slightly newer L461s had a slightly tighter twist. Take that info for what it's worth in making your decision.

Thanks Hook. This is some great news and really the way I am leaning. I have some 50 gr TNTs that I load in. 223 that shoot great in several of my rifles and feel they would be a good match with the slower twist.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Sako is a Mechanical Turd. Shelve it and cut your losses. Hint.

A Teeker 8” 223,connects alotta dots,if you feed via AICS DBM or CTR,in order to arrange COAL latitude. Hint…………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From your pics I’d say it’s just broke in a bit. Don’t let that thing go or futz it up when you already have the .223 available to you.

This piece demonstrates the potential your rifle has; even as-is it’s a great rifle. Think long and hard before you let it go…

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/the-perfect-farm-and-ranch-rifle/?mc_cid=138c100c0f

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Re-barreling or going CZ 527 is same same. I have both. You might gain twist but mag box isn't bigger. Unless you never want to shoot a bullet larger than 55gr. If that is the case, buy some dies and Lapua brass and leave it a triple deuce.

If you're dead set on a re-barrel, your best move is 17 Fireball.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They will arrange a Skookum 17Rem. Hint………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am really leaning towards keeping her the way she is and just redoing the stock. No sense messing with a good thing. Like my Dad says, it doesn't hurt a whole lot to keep a gun you don't shoot alot, its not like you have to feed them. I still might pick my smith's mind about reaming the chamber out though. Thanks for eveyone's input on the matter.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I was in that position I’d keep that beautiful little Sako, and consider maybe a howa mini 223 and putting a good bottom metal in it. That Sako is gorgeous

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (1_deuce, 2ndwind, 300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 35 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,015
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.